Talk on pickerel fishing in tidal waters - Jan 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk on pickerel fishing in tidal waters - Jan 16

I will speak at the MSSA Broadneck Chapter meeting on Monday Jan 16. My talk is "Catching Pickerel in Tidal Waters". The talk will cover where to look for pickerel, what types of tackle to use, and how to handle pickerel after catching them. I will not divulge my secret fishing spots however.

The meeting will be held at American Legion Post #175, 832 Manhattan Beach Road, Severna Park, MD 21146. The meeting begins about 7:00 in the lower level of the building. The talk starts about 7:30. I will have copies of my book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" for sale. All Snaggedline members are welcome to attend.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice! As long as I can find a sitter for my son, I'll be there! I'd bring him but listening to people talk is on the bottom of his list of favorite thing to do. Haha!

Btw how have your pickerel outings been lately?? These exceptionally low water levels have restricted me from fishing my normal spots and haven't had any success lately.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
      Nice! As long as I can find a sitter for my son, I'll be there! I'd bring him but listening to people talk is on the bottom of his list of favorite thing to do. Haha!

Btw how have your pickerel outings been lately?? These exceptionally low water levels have restricted me from fishing my normal spots and haven't had any success lately.
      I had a chance to get to the upper Severn today on a friend's boat. It was a glorious warm day for January. We visited many great-looking shorelines and threw a variety of lures and minnows. Sadly, neither of us got a bite today. We periodically dipped a finger in the water and touched our tongues. It was pretty salty as far up as Indian Landing. That is not good for the pickerel.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Were you in a 16-18 ft. Carolina skiff or something like it?

Comment

Were you in a 16-18 ft. Carolina skiff or something like it?
          Yes
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Yes
            I had a chance to throw a few casts between a couple of my appointments yesterday. I was the guy on the pier close to the southern part of the narrows and I'm pretty sure you pointed at me. White facemask?

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            I had a chance to get to the upper Severn today on a friend's boat. It was a glorious warm day for January. We visited many great-looking shorelines and threw a variety of lures and minnows. Sadly, neither of us got a bite today. We periodically dipped a finger in the water and touched our tongues. It was pretty salty as far up as Indian Landing. That is not good for the pickerel.
            I wish you would've said that you caught many pickerel and all I had to do was find them. I've seen 6 dead yellow perch washed up on a community beach of mine, does that mean anything to you? Too salty for the fish to survive?

Comment

I was the guy on the pier close to the southern part of the narrows and I'm pretty sure you pointed at me. White facemask?

I wore a light grey balaclava for much of the day. That probably was me.

I wish you would've said that you caught many pickerel and all I had to do was find them. I've seen 6 dead yellow perch washed up on a community beach of mine, does that mean anything to you? Too salty for the fish to survive?
              I don't have a clear idea why the perch would be dead. We did have a rapid drop in air temp last week. We also had ice cover in many shallow areas. The water is saltier than usual. Runoff from road salt could have created localized pockets of elevated salinity in the creeks. The Severn is throwing me some tough curveballs this winter. I have not figured things out recently.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

I hope it turns around for us all asap! By this time last year I was well into 40 pickerel caught.

Well, enough about the Severn. Didn't mean to hijack your event post. Hope to see ya Monday but if I can't find a sitter, good luck with the turnout.

Comment

I spent much of the morning updating and expanding my presentation on Catching Pickerel in Tidal Waters. I will make the presentation tonight at 7:00 at the American Legion Post #175, 832 Manhattan Beach Road, Severna Park, MD 21146. I hope to see some familiar faces there.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

I hit Weems today and a couple surrounding creeks but all I found were jellyfish and spooked one small pickerel. It was nice to be on the water but would have been nicer with some fish. Your salt comment makes sense, there were a ton of jellyfish out there today which seemed odd to me for this time of year.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      I hit Weems today and a couple surrounding creeks but all I found were jellyfish and spooked one small pickerel. It was nice to be on the water but would have been nicer with some fish. Your salt comment makes sense, there were a ton of jellyfish out there today which seemed odd to me for this time of year.
                      I've noticed the jellies too but I've only seen the comb jellies, (I think that's what they're called, the ones without tentacles) which are usually present in the mid to upper Severn year round.

Comment

A quick google search leads me to believe they may be -

The Lion's Mane jellyfish, Cyanea capillata, common during the winter, is brown in color and has long tentacles hanging from the edge of its swimming disk and middle.

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          A quick google search leads me to believe they may be -

The Lion's Mane jellyfish, Cyanea capillata, common during the winter, is brown in color and has long tentacles hanging from the edge of its swimming disk and middle.
                          Gotcha. The ones I see are clear, small, and no tentacles.

Comment

Great talk by John Veil tonight about tidal pickerel fishing at the MSSA Broadneck Chapter.

Clear, well organized and informative.

Many thanks to him for the notice and the show.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Wish I could've joined. I could always use more info on pickerel tactics.

Comment

Working...
                              X