Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac Blue Cat Fishing

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing some blue catfish fishing in the next couple of weeks. I lose all of my fishing buddies to hunting this time of year and don't really like to do any cold water fishing han solo, even in a drysuit. I could mostly do Saturday and Sundays. I can be flexible on location. Let me know if anyone is interested! Thanks...
    2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

I fish for blue cats this time of year, but this weekend's forecast is lousy- snow changing to ice makes for dangerous driving conditions...I usually fish more protected waters- Mattawoman creek has always been a good producer for me of the best sized blue cats- 20-27 inch fish- I don't take anything home over 27 inches...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Will be sure to include you in our next planned trip on the Potomac, but as Ron said, the weather this time of year is very unpredictable.

Comment

This weekend weather does look bad. Does anyone else ever notice it will be 60 degrees with 0 wind on a random Thursday and as soon as the weekend hits, it is -5F with 35 mile per hour winds and chances of civil war?! I would be game in going early February. I do like the idea of hitting Mattawoman. I have only been there once, and it was to target snakehead.
        2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I fished Mattawoman last February 8th with temps in the 30's and caught six keeper blue catfish and one channel catfish that came home with me...all were right around 23-26 inches...my biggest catfish there was in the high 20 pounds range (which I turned loose), so if you are looking for the big monster cats Marshall Hall is the ticket, but for eating fish, I like Mattawoman Creek...

Comment

I generally harvest less than 5 fish per year (not including stocked trout if I decide to go). I have always been more into catch and release, but wouldn't mind trying a blue cat or two since Mattawoman is fresh water.
            2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

All of my other fish, besides the big one, caught at Marshall Hall that day were eating size, though I think the 2 other people I fished with caught a couple that were over 24" (which I don't like to keep). I'd like to try mattawoman too though maybe in the spring/summer. Ron, do you think there's an OK chance of possibly catching a snakehead and some bluecats during those seasons?

Comment

I can't answer the snakehead question since I only fish for them during late spring on top water frogs- love their explosive hits...but I only eat bluecats I catch from Mattawoman and IMO they are one of the best tasting fish that swims...I worry about the quality of fish taken from the main stream of the Potomac, especially big fish- I always release stripers over 36 inches...the pollution build up is cumulative in fish...and the bigger fish are breeders- conservation, conservation, conservation...

Comment

Originally posted by Franzel08 View Post
                  Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing some blue catfish fishing in the next couple of weeks. I lose all of my fishing buddies to hunting this time of year and don't really like to do any cold water fishing han solo, even in a drysuit. I could mostly do Saturday and Sundays. I can be flexible on location. Let me know if anyone is interested! Thanks...
                  I'm in! Let me know when you'd like to get out there. I'd like to try Marshall Hall Landing again but am not opposed to a different area.

Comment

Great! I can't do next Saturday (My son's Birthday) but I could do that Sunday or the weekend after. I am open to different areas as well. Just looking forward to getting back on the yak since work has been a pain.
                    2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Great! I can't do next Saturday (My son's Birthday) but I could do that Sunday or the weekend after. I am open to different areas as well. Just looking forward to getting back on the yak since work has been a pain.
                      Awesome! It's too far out to know for sure but as of right now, next Saturday (1/21/17) is showing light winds, 50°F, and pm showers. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the best. Did you want to try Marshall Hall or did you have a different launch in mind? I just launched out of Marshall Hall yesterday and brought home a skunk so I'm open to any area you'd want to try.
                      Last edited by supfisher01; 01-12-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                        Awesome! It's too far out to know for sure but as of right now, next Saturday (1/21/17) is showing light winds, 50°F, and pm showers. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the best. Did you want to try Marshall Hall or did you have a different launch in mind? I just launched out of Marshall Hall yesterday and brought home a skunk so I'm open to any area you'd want to try.
                        Wow! I must've been so exited about your reply that I read what I wanted to read and misread it.

So, I'll keep an eye on SUNDAY's weather (1/22/17) but as of right now it's predicted to be in the mid 50's, 60% chance of occasional showers and a moderate wind out of the southeast.

Comment

Ha! I was wondering if you didn't misread that one. The wind is always the deterrent this time of year. I guess it would be best to launch in the creek.
                          2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Ha! I was wondering if you didn't misread that one. The wind is always the deterrent this time of year. I guess it would be best to launch in the creek.
                            Sounds good to me. You thinking Mattawoman Creek?

Comment

I am game to go just about anywhere in Maryland to fish in good company. Seeing that I've only been living in the state for 6 months or so there's a lot of fishing real estate out there that I haven't laid eyes on. As far as our New Year's Day romp, the cardboard that I laid the blues out on was exactly 24 inches and none of the fish were longer than that (dumb luck). I normally don't keep any really large fish as that gives someone else a chance to catch them as well. I agree with Ron wholeheartedly that conservation of our invaluable resource is paramount to insure that our families, friends and future generations may enjoy this bounty for years to come.

Honestly, I had no idea that there was such a big issue with fish consumption prior to moving here but I have since educated myself about the pollutants in the water and such. A big question that I have is what about people who have lived here their entire lives and who have been consuming fish? Are they at greater risk? Should they eat local fish at all? When I look at the recommended consumption charts on the web it doesn't look like anyone should have more than 3 or 4 servings of locally harvested fish just to be safe. Is the government just being conservative or are we all at risk of growing a third eye because we ate too much Rockfish???

gdm
                              Gregory
                              ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                              2014 Pro Angler 12
                              '

Comment

Working...
                              X