No announcement yet.

Potomac Blue Cat Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figure to go this Saturday- launch around 10 am from Slavins- I'll give you a report- might toss around some bass lures while I wait on a bite on the bait...I have caught some mighty nice largemouth bass at Mattawoman Creek- always release them so someone else can enjoy them, too....any snakeheads will go into the cooler to come home
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Any information would be appreciated. I actually planned on bringing some lures as well just in case! Hopefully, you will be able to join us when we go as well. Do you generally use cut bait (alewife) and circle hooks? I have heard crazy things from hot dogs to liver but I have noticed that fresh cut (oily) bait seem to work the best.
      2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

10 AM at Slavins on Saturday? Room for one more?
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Sure- see you there- and I use circle hook fish finder rig- bait is usually frozen alewife or menhaden- I use conventional low profile reels with 30# braid for Mattawoman...

Comment

So one of my friends is buying a drysuit and going to join us the 28th. Please keep the jokes classy as he actually bought the same drysuit as me...
            2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

greetings. you fish up near North Point for cats ? launch site ?
              i may be up for a winter cat-attack trip. Zeke from lower=slower Calvert. but ! i am no stranger to the nice State Park up at NP.
              Plus the Amish Market at the Flea Market has some great fried chicken livers....if i have to get the bait

take care ZekeBayBridge2016.jpg
              mark "Zeke" Z.
              One Day or Fish @ a time !
              Native Slayer 10 oak
              Perception 10

Comment

We normally focus on Rockfish and perch when we fish around Sparrows Point. Of course, we catch the occasional catfish and pickerel. Hell, my buddy even caught a sea trout this year. I normally just push out from my house since I live right off of old road bay. I have launched from NPSP before, but not too often. You are always welcome to fish with us. We can have as many as 8 people on a good day!
                2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I've fished NP from the Pier for several years before I had my kayak, last year landed 28 eaters in an afternoon in mid July
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Anyone have much luck catching shad with cast nets when it gets cold out? What's the secret?
                    I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Find the schools in a little deeper water they'll be more concentrated in the cold and harder to find. Some commercial guys in somd are starting to get them in there nets and selling them.

Comment

Huntrava and I fished Mattawoman today- kinda slow- tides were screwy, managed to catch 4 blue cats- nothing for the table...try again soon for some 18-24 inch fish...my favorite size for table...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          Huntrava and I fished Mattawoman today- kinda slow- tides were screwy, managed to catch 4 blue cats- nothing for the table...try again soon for some 18-24 inch fish...my favorite size for table...
                          Hey Ron, thanks for showing me the area. Too bad all the fish you caught were so big. Better luck next time.
                          I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Sure- see you there- and I use circle hook fish finder rig- bait is usually frozen alewife or menhaden- I use conventional low profile reels with 30# braid for Mattawoman...
                            So is this an event? I lost track of the thread and can't tell who's meeting, where and what species? Can someone give me a clue?

Just another day in the sun...
                            Gregory
                            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                            2014 Pro Angler 12
                            '

Comment

We did not schedule this as "an event" but all Snaggedliners are welcome to join in on any fishing trip we post on the site- and I enjoyed Huntrava's company- we discussed many things besides fishing sitting on the water waiting for a yank on the line...yesterday we had duck hunters, two noisy, pushy beavers and lots of "Salad" in the water...45.8 degrees...I have found the folks on this forum are some really nice people...and Huntrava now knows where there are at least two really big blue catfish on the Mattawoman-

Comment

Hi All,

We will be heading out this Saturday (28th) out of Slavin's launch. Meeting time will be at 10am. Hope to see everyone there. It looks like a sunny day with temperatures below 40F.
                                2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                                X