Potomac River blue cats 1/11/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River blue cats 1/11/17

So, I couldn't help but want to get back on the water after seeing yakscientist's and a few other members' awesome recent posts (congrats again!). I've made a few runs on my home river in search of pickerel and yellow perch recently but came home with a skunk every time. After reviewing the weather for this up coming week, it looks like there's a nice opening for some anchored bottom fishing on Wednesday the 11th.

Weather permitting, I'd like to launch between 9:00-10:00 at Marshall Hall boat ramp. Sorry for the short notice but any and all are welcome!

If I am off work I was thinking the same thing haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsmdave View Post
      If I am off work I was thinking the same thing haha.
      Cool. When will you know?

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
        So, I couldn't help but want to get back on the water after seeing yakscientist's and a few other members' awesome recent posts (congrats again!). I've made a few runs on my home river in search of pickerel and yellow perch recently but came home with a skunk every time. After reviewing the weather for this up coming week, it looks like there's a nice opening for some anchored bottom fishing on Wednesday the 11th.

Weather permitting, I'd like to launch between 9:00-10:00 at Marshall Hall boat ramp. Sorry for the short notice but any and all are welcome!
        The problem with working for a living is... well... working! Would love you join you for a second run on some nice blue whiskers but I won't see another day off until the following Monday. Wish you guys the best of luck though and hope you get into them good!

Gregory
        Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

I won't know till Tuesday night Wednesday if I have to work. I have to go in regaurdless so I won't be on the water till like 10: or 11:. Were you planning on Marshall hall. I was thinking of somewhere either down there in Indian Head or I may go back for more rockfish down past Clements.

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
            The problem with working for a living is... well... working! Would love you join you for a second run on some nice blue whiskers but I won't see another day off until the following Monday. Wish you guys the best of luck though and hope you get into them good!

Gregory
            Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to schedule my own work day but I totally understand. Thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Dsmdave View Post
              I won't know till Tuesday night Wednesday if I have to work. I have to go in regaurdless so I won't be on the water till like 10: or 11:. Were you planning on Marshall hall. I was thinking of somewhere either down there in Indian Head or I may go back for more rockfish down past Clements.
              I was planning on Marshall Hall but I'm not opposed to someplace different.

Comment

So, I made the trip to Marshall Hall Landing yesterday and it was a beautiful day as predicted.
                I had my anchor set and lines in the water by 10:00am.
                I fished the outgoing tide for 2 1/2 hours, slack tide for 30 minutes, and incoming tide for 1 1/2 hours. Unfortunately the blue cats did not want to cooperate. No fish at all, not even a peck at my bait. The water was extremely cloudy which resembled chocolate milk with debris and ice chunks floating around every where. Maybe that had something to do with it? Is the water always that cloudy around Marshall Hall? Another Snaggedline member also noted that the fluctuating temps might have something to do with it as well.

Oh well, that's fishing for ya! It was an awesome day to be on the water, fish or no fish. I will definitely be returning for a second attempt soon.
                Last edited by supfisher01; 01-12-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Looks like it was a gorgeous day. Not sure how much the conditions effected the bite as New Year's Day was my first time out in that area. It looks like you were right in the middle of the river, is that correct? What were you using for bait? We were fairly close to the Virginia side in 15-20ft of water just as it dropped off. I had a problem staying anchored as I only had 20ft of rope. Sorry you got skunked but any day of fishing beats a day of working anytime.

gdm
                  Gregory
                  ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                  2014 Pro Angler 12
                  '

Comment

This was my first time out of this launch as well. I was actually about 200-250yards off of Fort Belvoir (Whitestone point), just southwest of the red 66 channel bouy, in 40 feet of water. I had 75 feet of anchor line which was marked every 10 feet to use as my depth finder. I was using cubed chicken breast marinaded in garlic powder hooked on fishfinder rigs (7/O hooks) with foam floats about a foot from the hook.

Maybe being on the hill of the drop is the key? I was told by many people, I've spoke with before, that being "in" the hole is where you want to set your bait but maybe not in this exact location?

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
                    Looks like it was a gorgeous day. Not sure how much the conditions effected the bite as New Year's Day was my first time out in that area. It looks like you were right in the middle of the river, is that correct? What were you using for bait? We were fairly close to the Virginia side in 15-20ft of water just as it dropped off. I had a problem staying anchored as I only had 20ft of rope. Sorry you got skunked but any day of fishing beats a day of working anytime.

gdm
                    Last edited by supfisher01; 01-12-2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

So if you were there on the 11th, that was during a pretty good cold snap. The bite should improve here over the next couple days. I'll be out Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Zack
                      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post

So if you were there on the 11th, that was during a pretty good cold snap. The bite should improve here over the next couple days. I'll be out Sunday.

Do you plan on launching from Marshall Hall or another area?

Comment

I'm not too sure yet. Either Marshall Hall or a little closer to the district.

Zack
                          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Something to keep in mind with cats this time of year is to keep moving. I don't believe they're as active as a lot of people illustrate. If I'm not getting hits within 10-15 I'm moving somewhere with a decent change in depth.

Zack
                            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

The mass of cats like the deep holes at low tide. Try floating with a three way rig and a 2 foot leader. Bait is right BTW.
                              The sinker should be a bank style.

Good of you to get out while I slaved under life sucking lights.

Capt Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X