No announcement yet.

Favorite topwater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm Chug Bugs. They are my go to on the Susquehanna and the tribs. I fish topwater a lot and they are my go to followed by Smack its. If you want Smack its there is a small tackle shop/crab supply shop in Hickory (Northern Bel Air) on route 1.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

These “favorite” threads always elicit a variety of answers.

Presumably, we each have had much success with the lures/flies we have listed.

Does that mean that our as our confidence grows in what we use so does our effectiveness as anglers?

Or is it the reverse?

Either way, based on the answers here so far, fish clearly do not limit their favorite top water choices.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Totally agree Mark- If you only had one lure and it was a 1/2 oz. white bucktail, you would catch fish of all species on that lure and swear it was the best lure in the world...I say if it works, don't fix it...lures are made to catch fishermen-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          These “favorite” threads always elicit a variety of answers.

Presumably, we each have had much success with the lures/flies we have listed.

Does that mean that our as our confidence grows in what we use so does our effectiveness as anglers?

Or is it the reverse?

Either way, based on the answers here so far, fish clearly do not limit their favorite top water choices.
          Totally agree on the confidence thing. Plenty of lures I more confident than other. Still hate throwing needles, despite everyone catching tons on them. I have no confidence in them.
          But, there are plenty of good plugs out there that I haven't tried, that may be better than what I am throwing. Take those Z-mans for instance. Always threw Assassins, but now it is Z-mans affter someone turned me on to them. Always good to hear what's in other's tackle boxes.
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
            Totally agree on the confidence thing. Plenty of lures I more confident than other. Still hate throwing needles, despite everyone catching tons on them. I have no confidence in them.
            But, there are plenty of good plugs out there that I haven't tried, that may be better than what I am throwing. Take those Z-mans for instance. Always threw Assassins, but now it is Z-mans affter someone turned me on to them. Always good to hear what's in other's tackle boxes.
            Agreed. I am pretty sure I could have made it through all last season with shad darts, Chug Bugs and BKD's. I am convinced a lot of lures catch as many fisherman as fish.
            Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
            Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
              Agreed. I am pretty sure I could have made it through all last season with shad darts, Chug Bugs and BKD's. I am convinced a lot of lures catch as many fisherman as fish.
              Shad darts seem to fly under the radar for many fishermen, but I can't think of another lure that catches such a wide variety of species in different conditions like they do. I always carry tandem rigged shad darts with me.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

If I could have just one type of lure, I would choose jigheads and a bag of 3" paddletails. Many Snaggedline members like the Z-Man paddletails. I use them when bluefish are active, but have better catching success over many species when I use 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullets. The Fat Sams have a lifelike swimming motion that attracts fish.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have never used the ZMan plastics, but based on recommendations from one of my fishing buddies, I bought a few bags at Bass Pro recently- what is interesting is the imbedded Pro Cure scents in the plastic...I usually use scents on my lures- keep a spray bottle of shad scent handy- replenish as needed- does not hurt a thing...who knows- might be the "secret" to my few successes fishing...I use just about all of the different plastic swim baits and they all work- Sea Asssassin, H&H lures, Texas Lure Company, 12 Fathom, Gulp, etc. Color seems to be the main attractant as long as the tail wiggles they catch fish...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Smack its in stock in case anyone is looking.

http://m.tackledirect.com/stillwater...-it-lures.html

Comment

[QUOTE=Mark;138911]For conventional tackle I am partial to Rapala's Skitter Pop. However, I modify it to remove the trebles. I replace them with a single in-line hook on the tail of the lure. Here's the result:

P1020464.jpg

Note that I removed the middle hook entirely. I have caught largemouth bass and stripers with this very lure as configured, including my largest striper of last year, a 29 incher.

Mark,

What size is that Skitter Pop?
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

It's funny, a bunch of months ago I started this thread saying I hated throwing spooks, but have ended up throwing spooks a ton this summer. They're a pain in the yak, due to the angle, but I finally got it down. They're action is is different enough to allow them to fall into the if-this-doesn't-piss-off-the-bass-nothing-will category. I just picked up a little waver, which has a spook action, but allows for sweeps, that may trump spooks for pissing off bass.
                        Jay

10' Green Slayer
                        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

They're a pain in the yak, due to the angle, but I finally got it down.
                          Like you, I've been frustrated trying to walk-the-dog when sitting in a kayak -- what did you end up doing?*

*Please don't tell me you just stood up :-)
                          -manny

Hobie Outback
                          Wilderness Systems 130T
                          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

It's funny, a bunch of months ago I started this thread saying I hated throwing spooks, but have ended up throwing spooks a ton this summer. They're a pain in the yak, due to the angle, but I finally got it down. They're action is is different enough to allow them to fall into the if-this-doesn't-piss-off-the-bass-nothing-will category. I just picked up a little waver, which has a spook action, but allows for sweeps, that may trump spooks for pissing off bass.
                            bone spook jr or one knocker is my mostproductive topwater.....secret for me on the yak is long enough rod. I also fish it quicker with a narrower "walk". This real
                            ly helps in the yak
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Pink skitterwalk with bone super spook one knocker close second.
                              west end trout assassins

Comment

I finally gave the Whopper Plopper 90 a try. Fish it as a popper or walk the dog; has been working great over the last month plus.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X