Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite topwater?

Default Favorite topwater?

It's snowing, I'm bored, so what is your favorite topwater?
    I'll have to say the Stillwater Smack It. It cast well enough, its loud and obnoxious. My biggest gripe about them is they are a pain to find. Rarely are they on-line, and stores always seem to be out. Never in BPS, or Anglers (at least when I checked). I may have to resort to the Tsunami popper if I can't find a few more Stillwater's. I usually throw the small, may try the large this year.
    One topwater I never like throwing are spooks. I love them from a boat or Shore, but the angle on the yak never works for me.
    So what's your favorite topwater, it's almost Spring and we have to be ready.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by summersoff View Post
    It's snowing, I'm bored, so what is your favorite topwater?
    I'll have to say the Stillwater Smack It. It cast well enough, its loud and obnoxious. My biggest gripe about them is they are a pain to find. Rarely are they on-line, and stores always seem to be out. Never in BPS, or Anglers (at least when I checked). I may have to resort to the Tsunami popper if I can't find a few more Stillwater's. I usually throw the small, may try the large this year.
    One topwater I never like throwing are spooks. I love them from a boat or Shore, but the angle on the yak never works for me.
    So what's your favorite topwater, it's almost Spring and we have to be ready.
    Here you go....http://www.fishermansheadquarters.co...ater-lures.htm
    Currently I'm having a lot of fun with the Whopper Ploppers
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide
    Gama Electronics RF340-80A-SC wireless pwm controller
    Re-Lion 75Ah Lithium Iron Deep Cycle

^^^^
    I have to take a look at the the whopper popper, is that fished like a spook?
    If you look closely at that Fishermans headquarters link, they are always out of stock of Smackits except one or two colors.
    Last edited by summersoff; 01-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

I have to take a look at the the whopping poppers.
    If you look closely Fishermans headquarters is always out of stock of snackits except one or two colors.
    This is where I get mine, always have a lot of color selection http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River...e-R2SWP13.html
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide
    Gama Electronics RF340-80A-SC wireless pwm controller
    Re-Lion 75Ah Lithium Iron Deep Cycle

I caught a couple of hundred bluegills fly fishing with a pink foam spider in 2016. Also got a few smallmouth bass and some fallfish.
    Over the years caught a mess of smallies on a black/silver rebel pop-r.
    White buzz baits also are fun.
    I like the Lucky Craft wake tail 85 too for bass.

For conventional tackle I am partial to Rapala's Skitter Pop. However, I modify it to remove the trebles. I replace them with a single in-line hook on the tail of the lure. Here's the result:

P1020464.jpg

Note that I removed the middle hook entirely. I have caught largemouth bass and stripers with this very lure as configured, including my largest striper of last year, a 29 incher.

For topwater flies I use homemade foam poppers.

I use elongated flies like these for stripers:

P1000573.jpg H.jpg

Pickerels have also hit them in tidal creeks.

For fresh water bass, pickerels, bluegills and crappies, I make foam poppers with rubber legs:

A.JPG B.JPG C.JPG D.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

^^^^
    I have to take a look at the the whopper popper, is that fished like a spook?k.
    It's kind of a buzz bait if reeled continuously and a spook or popper if paused but it doesn't dart side to side. I guess the best comparison would be a heddon torpedo.

My favorite top water is the old jitterbug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not throw topwater very often. I currently have one rod with Smack-It Jr. tied on. I bought that lure at Marty's -- they usually have them in stock. Like Mark, I removed both trebles and added a J-hook with hair to the rear. I recall a day last summer near the mouth of Eastern Bay when Mark was catching a few stripers on his popper. I picked up the Smack-It Jr rod and quickly nailed a 24" striper.

When I fish in Tampa Bay with a guide he uses a MirrOlure C-Eye Poppa Mullet for his topwater fishing. It is the same size as the Smack-It Jr. The MirrOlure website gives this information about that lure:

Poppa Mullet™ - Dual Action Lure that calls them in.

It Pops! It Walks! MirrOlure’s NEW surface lure, the Poppa Mullet™, offers two very effective top water actions. First, Poppa Mullet™ achieves a walk-the-dog action with ease. Second, you can easily fish this lure with a popping action. Both are equally effective on gator Trout, huge Redfish and trophy Snook

I have caught some large speckled trout on that lure. He gave me one to bring home. I plan to use the same hook replacement when I tie it on.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    ...I recall a day last summer near the mouth of Eastern Bay when Mark was catching a few stripers on his popper. I picked up the Smack-It Jr rod and quickly nailed a 24" striper.
    I remember that day too.

Count on John to find the big one!
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I really like the poppa mullet, it casts like a bullet and has a nice action to it. That was my go-to topwater this summer.
    Joe

2016 Vibe Sea Ghost 130