Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Carts and questions

Hello,
    I am semi-new to this board. I have been fishing for quite a while out of my inflatable Maxxon Kayak. Very soon I am going to pick up my first rigid kayak. After looking around, researching, looking through all of the Pro's and Con's for different boats, I am probably going to purchase a Vibe Sea Ghost 130.

I am looking for input on Kayak Carts. My Kayak will be kept in the back yard of my townhouse. I will have to go over a small curb, down a hill, and around to the back of my unit, which is about the fourth unit in form the end. The hill is semi-steep but it will be okay for taking the kayak down that path (I really have no other choice if I get a rigid kayak).

I have read the stuff on line about scupper kayak carts. There are many posts about them damaging the scuppers and causing leaks. I was looking at other types of carts and I am wondering what other people do for the kayak cart for their fishing kayak. What is the best type of kayak for a 13 foot sit on top fishing kayak that weighs 74 pounds and has a diameter of 34"? Would a scupper cart be okay or is there a risk of damaging the kayak?

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions.

I cannot speak for Vibe's policy. Native Watercraft does not recommend using a through-scupper cart. If cracks develop around the scupper tube holes because that type of cart was used, Native may not honor the hull warranty. Other manufacturers, for example Hobie, sell through-scupper carts for their kayak models.

I use a C-Tug cart when I have to haul a kayak over some distance. It will support a wide and heavy kayak. There are other alternatives available too. Do some searches back through Snaggedline to see what others have said in the past.

I suggest that you attend the HOW Fishing Flea Market on Jan 21. Many Snaggedline members will be there as shoppers or vendors. You can ask questions and may even find a used cart for sale.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I tried a few carts with my 79lb Feel free and settled on using a C-tug. It has worked really well for my yak. It's easy to float off and on when launching and stores easily in my hatch while on the water. It has a tendency to squeak a lot while loaded but I found a cure for that. I picked up some PB Blaster Dry Teflon spraying that on the hubs and spindles, viola not more squeak.
      I too live in a situation like that, my yak lives on top of my small suv but given your situation you may look at the Seattle Sport cart. Coop, a member on here has one and it rolls great. http://www.seattlesportsco.com/paddl...s/new-atc.html

Comment

I know Vibe does not recommend scupper carts, as the scupper holes are the weakest part of the kayak. The other Vibe owners I've spoken to highly recommend the C-tug, although I don't have any experience with it myself.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I have tried probably every kayak cart design on the market. (Absolutely destroyed a few as well). I bought the Trailtreker last year and it’s been outstanding. It looks flimsy but is surprisingly rugged. Not the best choice for long hauls over a beach but since I don’t launch like that it’s fine. Just slide it over the stern, snap on the tether and you are good to go. One of the reasons I like this cart is that it’s easy to slip on while the kayak is floating. You don’t have to damage the bottom while pulling it up on the beach or concrete ramp. The cart is very light weight and floats too. Tires are foam cored. No air needed. For those that like to carry a cart with them it can be broken down easily and fast. Keep in mind that since the weight of the kayak is supported closer to the stern you do end up lifting more of the weight while walking with it rather than a cart that attaches closer to amidships.

http://paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

Funny, I was starting to shy away from the scupper cart, especially after reading that it is likely to damage the scuppers and the scuppers are the weakest point of the kayak. I was starting to lean toward the C Tow cart. Originally I was going to go with a cheap scupper cart and then I started reading things and hearing some of the reflections that you guys have made.

I really appreciate the information. It is funny but I have always found that the community of people that are involved with a lot of water sports are the most helpful people. I know that my past experience with other sailors has really reinforced the previous statement and it seems that the kayak fishing community is very supportive as well.

I can't wait to bump into some of you guys out there on the water.

Comment

I bought a nice scupper-hole cart that breaks in half to fit inside the hull. It looked like it would work great.

In action it has been a constant pain in my rear, ending with one of the tires popping off the hub, which made it great to drag my yak through the sand with. On another occasion I was lazy and tried to remove my yak from it while fully loaded, it slipped and tipped all my gear into the sand.

As soon as the water gets warm enough to dip my toe in I am buying a C-tug and never looking back.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Heavetoo,

Welcome to the forum.

I use a Hobie scupper cart with my Revo. Note that Hobie for some time has reinforced its scupper holes with sleeves of heavy plastic to accommodate the stresses of scupper carts. Cross my fingers, I have not experienced hull problems after 4 years of use.

For my Ultimate I use a Trailtreker mentioned above by Fishtank. I concur with Fishtank's review. It installs fast and easy on land. But I especially like its on-the-water installation capability. I slide the cart onto my floating Ultmate and wheel my kayak right out of the water. (I'm a bit a of a fanatic about scratches...I try to avoid dragging my hull over hard ground when possible.) I've even used the Trailtreker to remove my Revo from the water.

But there are negatives with the Trailtreker in my opinion.

1. It's different than most carts because in lieu of tie-down straps it has a hoop of plastic pipe that grips the gunnels but sits high above the deck. See here:

AE.jpg

That height of the lockdown mechanism can interfere with your rods if you carry them behind your seat. To counter that, I lay my rods in the hull and install them in their holders when I get to the water. No big deal, but that's an extra step that may be a negative consideration for some.

2. The wheels on the Trailtreker ride pretty far back on the hull. See photo. That means the weight you bear in your hand will be greater than if the wheels were closer to the middle of the hull. My Ultimate is light and I do not carry a lot of gear in it. Again, no big deal. But for those who have heavier boats, or bring lots of stuff, the Trailtreker will require you to bear more weight than a C-Tug installed mid-hull. On the other hand, the C-Tug is generally a little harder to install and tie down.

Tradeoffs! -- They're everywhere in kayak fishing.

I do not carry my cart in either of my kayaks on the water. In most of the places I launch the water is close to parking so I see no need to do so. But even in those sites that require a long trek to the water, Homeport and Beechwood, for example, I carry my cart back to my van for storage while I am fishing. That's a personal preference because both carts, the Hobie and the Trailtreker can be stored onboard.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It is all a matter of preference really, I have no problem installing my C-Tug. Once my yak is on the ground the C-Tug has a front arm to keep it upright and it is a simple matter of lifting the empty kayak onto it, add my seat, cinch it, load my kayak then head for the launch. It holds a heavy laden kayak better than anything I've used so far. At the launch site its really simple to float the kayak off of it, break it down to store it in a hatch, on the back (not preferable as lures can get snagged on the wheels) or carry to ones car. On landing I find it really easy to slide under my yak (better than the rubber wheels that try to float), cinch it and pull my yak out. The Down side is even with the Sandtrax wheels the cart isn't that easy to pull over soft sand but there is a conversion kit one can get using the Wheeleez wheels. I don't launch soft sand much to warrant converting it yet.

Comment

I use the Hobie Trax2 scupper cart on my PA12. I love that it is heavy duty enough to transport the kayak when it is full down to the water over rocks, sand, dirt, mud and greenery. I have yet to encounter a situation that the balloon wheels could not handle. My main lament is that once I get to the water I have to unload the kayak in order to tilt the kayak to remove the wheels and launch. I have to follow the same process to recover the yak at the end of the trip. I store the wheels on the rear of the kayak while I'm fishing. I'm looking at getting the Boonedox landing gear before the Spring fishing season starts. My biggest concern is regarding the performance over sand. Good luck on your search.

Gregory
                    Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

+1 for a cart that goes through scupper holes. I have one that lays on top and it's a pain every time I'm going over rough terrain. Lots of DIY ideas out there to custom make your own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Zack
                      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                      X