What Knot is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Knot is this?

Just came back from a charter trip and the mate tied this know. Anyone know what it is? He didn't have any special equipment. Just his hands and a pair of split ring pliers.

Attached Files
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

It kind of looks like an FG knot. It's used to tie braid to a leader. If you go to Saltstrong.com they show you how to tie it. I'm not a big fan of the FG knot. I like the Albright better.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I thought the same thing. The spiral through me off though.
      www.anglerswithoutborders.com
      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

These knots look far more complicated than my typical double uni knot. Are they drastically stronger?

Comment

I've tied several similar ones. I call it the I can't believe I drank all that tequila last night and I still went fishing this morning knotĀ® Its a variation of an FG which is a variation of a Japanese commercial knot, they lost a lot in translation when they came east from the San Diego long range boats. As long as the main wraps are ok, and you secure the ends somehow, its not going anywhere.

Comment

Passes thru guides well.
            Strong yes.
            Requires practice to tie correctly. Fails if tied improperly. The number of wraps can vary greatly with the braid and mono/fluoro combo.

Double uni is easier and nearly as strong.

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
              I thought the same thing. The spiral through me off though.
              The spiral is just a simple overhand with the tag end. People make that knot / shape in paracord and bracelets all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X