Lights for the Pro Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    Might consider trying some plasti dip on those connectors to seal from moisture. When I removed the two that failed from my boat it was the inside that showed all the corrosion. Could have been due to water seeping from the top, but either way can't hurt. If you look at the switches I bought to replace them the entire thing is sealed with a similar material.
    I've all but given up on electronics inside the hull. The dampness and humidity turn almost everything to rust in short order. Hook up a battery and it happens even faster. +1 on the plastidip/dialectic grease/marine goop if they aren't in a sealed container.
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Another great idea! I hadn't thought about the marine goop and dialectic grease. I'm curious now, the corrosion/rust because of the dampness or mainly because of the saltwater?
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

I believe corrosion comes from two sources, one being direct contact with water that gets inside the hull, the other is humidity. To mitigate this you need to either completely seal off using something like plastidip, or don't seal off and make sure to clean it well after every trip and air dry completely. My experience with shrink tubing and goop has not be favorable as that just holds the moisture in. Plastidip has worked best for me on splices and other areas with potential of exposure, but there is nothing you can do with switches other than buy expensive brass ones and replace as necessary. I also made sure to hang all my internal wires using these https://www.amazon.com/Zip-Tie-Mount...GPCRD14S4DG1CR to limit exposure to only humidity.

Edit: I do use dielectric grease on my quick disconnect to my battery which has worked well for the most part. After about a year though I have to wiggle it a little to get a good connection, so it's about due for replacement.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
          Another great idea! I hadn't thought about the marine goop and dialectic grease. I'm curious now, the corrosion/rust because of the dampness or mainly because of the saltwater?
          I'm not a scientist, but chemically speaking I think dampness/humidity/water are all basically the same thing and cause corrosion in varying degrees. Saltwater being especially corrosive, naturally. In general you're just trying to keep any form of water away from susceptible material. For example, wiring made specifically for marine applications is tinned, which creates a nice barrier against water. Heat shrink works in some applications. Ultimately everything succumbs to the elements, but there are some things you can do to make it last longer.
          I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

+1 electronics and kayaks don't mix well
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

With my electronics in my hull, i always use dieletric grease on connectors and any open electronics (like my switches) i cover with 5min epoxy. Works great, seals and waterproofs all exposed electronics and secures the connection so they dont wiggle loose. Alot of "waterproof" trailer lights do the same thing as well as many other electronics. Ever see the black or opaque plastic/epoxy on the back of certain electronics?
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                any open electronics (like my switches) i cover with 5min epoxy. Works great, seals and waterproofs all exposed electronics and secures the connection so they dont wiggle loose.
                That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of using epoxy on connectors.
                I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

IMG_3762.jpgIMG_3764.jpg since im working on the kayak, and my buddy has an absurd amount if 1/8" bungie i figured i would make use of the blank space of my front hatch. �� Added some bungies to hold things i dont need all the time but would like to keep with me and not hog bucket space. Like my important documents, some niteize paracord clips, and my branch anchor.
                  Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                  -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                  -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Had to help the wife recover her vehicle (dead battery). Switches are in and the install should be complete by tomorrow. I'll have to tidy up the cables but I'll send lots of pics when done.

Just another day in the sun...
                    Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

The deed is done! Finished installing the lights and switches tonight. Ordered an extra battery and cradle and I still have to tidy up the wiring under the hood. Brian you said take lots f pictures so here you go...

I may put an amber or red light underneath the seat but tomorrow I will be focusing on silicone in the lead holes and dressing up the wiring. All in Supernova does a fine job of giving you everything you need in the kit. Time to scare up some catfish!!!
                      Gregory

Just another day in the sun...
                      Gregory
                      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                      2014 Pro Angler 12
                      '

Comment

Your kayak looks like a rainbow! Pretty cool. Keep us updated on those switches...
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                          I just recieved my lights in the mail as well. I will be installing mine very soon
                          BTW did you install your lights? Pics
                          Gregory
                          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                          2014 Pro Angler 12
                          '

Comment

Elite 5Ti with total scan for the PA12. Anybody have any experience with this unit? Will the transducer fit in the lowrance ready mount for the PA12? So many questions, so little time!
                            Gregory
                            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                            2014 Pro Angler 12
                            '

Comment

I just picked up a 7Ti for my PA14.

Planning to get the BerleyPro Mount (more-so for protection of the total scan transducer) but you could always ram arm-mount it over the side also.

https://www.berleypro.com/product/to...t-suits-hobie/

There is a deadler in CA & TX which typically have them in stock, I'm planning to order soon, if you want to split the shipping and order with me LMK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1w8gP0RK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkR3RJ08Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9mpvw3jGY
                              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                                I just picked up a 7Ti for my PA14.

Planning to get the BerleyPro Mount (more-so for protection of the total scan transducer) but you could always ram arm-mount it over the side also.

https://www.berleypro.com/product/to...t-suits-hobie/

There is a deadler in CA & TX which typically have them in stock, I'm planning to order soon, if you want to split the shipping and order with me LMK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1w8gP0RK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkR3RJ08Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9mpvw3jGY
                                Did you pull the trigger on that Berley Pro Mount yet?
                                Gregory
                                ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                                2014 Pro Angler 12
                                '

Comment

Working...
                                X