Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern Maryland Camping ... other than Smallwood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Maryland Camping ... other than Smallwood?

I've been coming to Smallwood for about 4 years now, and I LOVE that campground, but availability just gets less and less every year and it's booked more and more in advance. It's about a 3-4 hour trek for me to get over there, and this year I'll have a lot more opportunity to make the trip and plan to make it several times, hoping to explore new water as much as possible. I'm looking for anything from a small cabin to a tent site to even just two trees I can string my hammock between and a space to park a car with a kayak on top (or tugging a trailer.)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, I've scoured the googles but I'm not finding much.

Basically anywhere on the eastern side of the Potomac would be great, I guess around Dahlgren would be ok because of the bridge too.

Attached Files
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Not sure what your looking for. Have you looked at the Patuxent, Jug Bay Area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's the thing---I'm not really very familiar with the area so I'm basically just googling camping around the area. I see some options around Patuxent, thanks, I will look into those. I stayed at Goose Bay a couple summers ago and did not enjoy myself AT ALL.
      2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
      2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
      2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
      2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

Try Woodalls.com they are the Google of campgrounds. They are owned by Good Sam's.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Chapel Point State Park is fairly new and offers primitive paddle-in camping by permit only. If you are into catfish, I have heard that is a good river for it. Check it out in the link here, and let us know how it is if you go:

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands...apelpoint.aspx

Comment

point lookout state park
            Dennis Point marina and campground
            lots of cool spots to explore late spring, summer, fall
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
              Chapel Point State Park is fairly new and offers primitive paddle-in camping by permit only. If you are into catfish, I have heard that is a good river for it. Check it out in the link here, and let us know how it is if you go:

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands...apelpoint.aspx
              Paddle in camping only? That sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                Paddle in camping only? That sounds interesting.

It does sound interesting. I think it's the only western shore state park location that offers paddle-in camping. But, you have to travel light, and no bath house or hot showers. It's a different level of preparation.

That property had been in the hands of the Jesuits since the 1600's. They sold it to the state about five years+- ago; over two thousand acres! If you like solitude, that is probably the place on the western shore.

Keep in mind that a paddle in application has to be submitted at least two weeks in advance of a trip. It might help to canoe in (more room for gear), with and at least one other partner. You could trail a kayak or two for speed.

Comment

There is a paddle in spot on either Jug Bay or maybe Merkle WLS, I cannot remember which.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                    There is a paddle in spot on either Jug Bay or maybe Merkle WLS, I cannot remember which.
                    There's another camp site on the Patuxent river trail further upstream that is waterfront too. It's on smaller fresh water.

Comment

http://patuxentwatertrail.org/

Check under the Water Trail Sites tab. I've always wanted to kayak down the Patuxent. Caledon State Park on the western shore of the Potomac in Virginia also has some primitive paddle-in camp sites.
                      Tight lines
                      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                        http://patuxentwatertrail.org/

Check under the Water Trail Sites tab. I've always wanted to kayak down the Patuxent. Caledon State Park on the western shore of the Potomac in Virginia also has some primitive paddle-in camp sites.
                        I do paddle it, anywhere from piney orchard on down to rt 214.
                        It's very secluded and you won't see too many people far from the launches. There can be logs / trees etc in some spots but isn't too bad in the summer time to just get out and get around them.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                          I do paddle it, anywhere from piney orchard on down to rt 214.
                          It's very secluded and you won't see too many people far from the launches. There can be logs / trees etc in some spots but isn't too bad in the summer time to just get out and get around them.

I have always wanted to try and paddle the entire navigable river in sections, but have never managed to coordinate drop offs or pickups to do much of it. Even Governor's Bridge to Jug Bay would be a fun day trip.
                          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I have always wanted to try and paddle the entire navigable river in sections, but have never managed to coordinate drop offs or pickups to do much of it. Even Governor's Bridge to Jug Bay would be a fun day trip.
                            Yeah, that's what I've more envisioned. I'm down in southern St. Mary's County and my experience with the Patuxent is quite different then those of folks up in Jug Bay or the like. Not quite the difference between the upper and lower Potomac, which has also always amazed me.
                            Tight lines
                            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Keep it in mind in the summer and I might be up for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X