New PB, 2017 is off to a great start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PB, 2017 is off to a great start

So as some of you know, I caught not only the biggest catfish I've ever caught yesterday, but also the biggest fish in general from my kayak. Myself and 2 others from this forum (aintmisbehavin' and rockchaser) met at marshall hall and fished for about 5 hours, and we all had a safe, and somewhat productive outing. Not crazy action, but it was certainly nice to catch fish after my last 3 trips trolling for rockfish, which all were skunks, and ended with me being blown off the water. Weather yesterday was perfect, and within about 10 minutes of anchoring up at the same spot i had success in back in March, I caught a nice 18" blue catfish, it hit the fishfinder rig and tripped the baitrunner drag and really made it sing. So i brought that fish in, and threw the bait back out. About 20 minutes later, I had another double hook bottom rig in the water, and another fishfinder, all in different areas, and I hoped, different depths. The same rod from the first fish suddenly started screaming, and then the primary drag kicked in as i picked it up, and i knew it was a big fish. The boat lurched towards the line, but still stayed anchored, and i had to tighten the drag a bit to make any sort of gains on the fish, it just kept running and hugging bottom, changing direction, then running again. In the process it tangled my other forward rod, but i was still able to get it alongside the boat. I could feel how heavy it was, as i had to do the old rod up reel down maneuver just to get the fish to the surface. I finally saw it, and just started cackling, mostly excitement, but also a lot of disbelief as to how i was going to get this monster into the boat or at least a good picture of it. i tried to take a pic as it was beside the boat but couldnt get it without the fish swimming away. i finally got my fish grips into its mouth, and with both hands, hoisted it into the boat. i sat there with the fish, which was just ridiculously large inside my sit in kayak, just laughing hysterically, full of happiness. i took a few pictures from what angles i could manage with my tethered phone, and radio'd the others to come over and see it/take some better pictures. rockchaser got a great shot (below, cropped for detail) and i took the rest. i've always been the guy who "should've been here last week!" or snapped off a big fish, or didn't quite set the hook right, so it was nice to finally get a truly huge fish. it was at least 40" (well over the largest measuring device-my paddle ruler which topped out at 36), and probably 40+ pounds. it was amazing how docile it was inside the boat, then as soon as i placed it into the water, thinking it would need some reviving, it immediately twisted and thrashed, unfortunately taking my plastic fishgrips with it. hopefully theyll just pop off as it brushes along the bottom, or the next fisherman will get a free set. i tried in vain to use my paddle to pull it back to the boat, but i failed, i really need to get a larger/longer net. i will remember that catch for a lifetime, and hopefully i will have a few more like it. i caught 6 other fish, and missed probably just as many, but none close to that size. as always, pics, or it didn't happen....
    Attached Files

Man that's one hell of a way to start the year out! Congrats on the fish! I couldn't wait any longer to get out on the water so I ended up ordering a dry top. Tight lines! Hope to see you on the water again this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

So cool thanks for the update!
      Harlan

Revo 13
      Trident 13
      Cuda 14
      Necky Tandem

Comment

what top did you go with im gonna end up doing the same lol this is my year to buy a dryuit but ill probably piece it top and bottom
        Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
        Man that's one hell of a way to start the year out! Congrats on the fish! I couldn't wait any longer to get out on the water so I ended up ordering a dry top. Tight lines! Hope to see you on the water again this year!

2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Great post thanks for the details! I fished Marshall Hall m&g and had some great marks but only hooked up on dinks glad to see they are in there! I will be back with a vengeance at some point with a better understanding of that place and better bait!
          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
          LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Cool MobyDick catfish! I wonder if it still has the lip gripper on it's yapp?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Cool MobyDick catfish! I wonder if it still has the lip gripper on it's yapp?
              I hope not! I feel pretty bad that I couldn't get the fish back to the boat and get those off of it, but like I said, I just wasn't prepared for it to suddenly wake up the second it touched the water. And I think I might be venturing down to marshall hall at least 1 more time this winter, and maybe Wilson bridge, it was a nice change of pace compared to the usual trolling for rockfish.

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post

Thank you. I will certainly let you know the next time I'm fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                  I hope not! I feel pretty bad that I couldn't get the fish back to the boat and get those off of it, but like I said, I just wasn't prepared for it to suddenly wake up the second it touched the water. And I think I might be venturing down to marshall hall at least 1 more time this winter, and maybe Wilson bridge, it was a nice change of pace compared to the usual trolling for rockfish.

Last spring I was fishing in the Severn and had a 23" striper on my lap with a Fishgrips in its mouth. I turned to pick up another rod that was shaking. The first fish slid overboard never to be seen again. My Fishgrips went along with it.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on the catch! A new PB too start the year is awesome. Too bad about the fish grip release. I find most bigger fish are pretty docile once you get them in your lap. It's the little ones that are spazztic.

What do you guys use for blue cats? Just cut bait or do you need to use live bait like you would for flatheads? I've never fished for them before.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                      Congrats on the catch! A new PB too start the year is awesome. Too bad about the fish grip release. I find most bigger fish are pretty docile once you get them in your lap. It's the little ones that are spazztic.

What do you guys use for blue cats? Just cut bait or do you need to use live bait like you would for flatheads? I've never fished for them before.
                      Rockchaser(catfish Jim) suggested raw chicken breast, so that's what we were all using. In that same spot earlier in the year I had brought a variety of baits but only nightcrawlers were working. This time around, only the chicken breasts worked, I just pre-cut pieces about 1"x1" or maybe 2"x2" max. I was using 4/0 or 5/0 hooks, and smaller, nothing too huge. Again though, besides that monster, only 1 or 2 of my 6 other fish were bigger than 20", the other 4 were between 14-18". Still plenty of meat, and I don't want to keep anything bigger than maybe 24". I think the one I caught would've barely qualified for a MD angler award, but unfortunately for invasives you have to keep them, and I have no idea how I would've gotten that big nasty thing back to my truck. I guess I could've left it on shore and come back for it later. Oh well, probably not worth the effort especially since I wouldn't eat it, and certainly wouldn't want to give it away, probably loaded with PCBs.

Comment

The old Perdue peelers, haha. Thanks for the info and congrats again.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          The old Perdue peelers, haha. Thanks for the info and congrats again.
                          Thank you, and happy to share. I think it's a good practice to share as much info as possible, I think snaggedline really encourages that sort of behavior. And like I said before, it was a great first experience with a big fish caught from a kayak, how to fight it, land it, and at least get some pictures of it. I just have to work on my release skills.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                            Thank you, and happy to share. I think it's a good practice to share as much info as possible, I think snaggedline really encourages that sort of behavior. And like I said before, it was a great first experience with a big fish caught from a kayak, how to fight it, land it, and at least get some pictures of it. I just have to work on my release skills.
                            lost plastic fishgrips seems like a small price to pay, especially since you got the most important PHOTOS, makes it more than "just a fish story"

congrats on that monster 40+

"perdue cut bait" hahahahahahahahahhaa
                            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

damn nice fish Pat! wishing I would have gone with you
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X