First Fish of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fish of 2017

I hardly fished at all in 2016 in comparison to 2015. In 15 I went fishing 3-4 times a week, in contrast in 2016 I might have went three times a month. I only had my kayak out about 3 times total in 2016, all salt water with only a striper per trip in the 12"-14" range.

I want to do more fishing for 2017 so I figured I would try today and see what happens. I didn't take one of my kayaks as they are in the back of my barn blocked in by my jeep with the transfer case on the floor. I do have a neat little raft that was sitting on the shelf in my garage so it was game on.

I took my two dogs along to get them out of the house and so I wouldn't be talking to myself.

I normally hang up my fishing gear in November and bring it back out at the beginning of April so I never fish in winter. I tried to stack the deck in my favor for my first fish of 2017 by fishing a small pond where we normally catch 100 fish a piece in a matter of 2-3 hours. This pond has issues as there are only bass in it and there are so many of them they are stunted and all 4"-10". In sharp contrast today I didn't see any swimming around and only caught one. In hindsight I should have picked up some shiners and hit a pond with pickerel in it. At least I did get hit my goal of catching a fish on the first day of 2017. Hope everyone has a good year of fishing in 2017.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Nice report.

Good job on your first catch of the year.

I bet your dogs had a great time also.

I hope you meet your goal to get out more in 2017.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X