Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to take a few moments and wish all my fellow Snaggedline kayak fishermen and women a very Happy New Year- if 2017 is anything like 2016 has been we are in for a wonderful season kayak fishing- I saw the redfish and speckled trout making a small comeback late in the season that gives me hope that next year we will have keeper fish in the middle bay...flounder and cobia were also in the middle bay in September and October so that may signal something special coming our way as well...and I was worried the DNR making changes increasing the slot keeper size for stripers was going to kill us- that did not happen- I only had a couple of trips that I did not limit out with keeper stripers- DNR did the right thing...and the big white perch were amazing this year- the only down side was a disappointing croaker season...climate change is figuring in in difficult to predict ways- the loss of sea ice in the Artic and abnormally warmer tempetures there has strange consequences- the polar vortexes seem to drop down into the central U S and move across into NE...sometimes we get hammered by abnormally cold snaps, sometimes we don't...extreme weather is something we will learn to live with- it may bring us fish we haven't seen before- looking forward to fishing with you in 2017- May 2017 bring you nothing but the best!
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Thanks Ron! May 2017 be a blessed year for all of us!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Back at you for 2017. Hope the Reds can make it to our area of the bay.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks Ron! Looking forward to our spring trout outings......maybe this.is the year I limit out first!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I got a new "secret lure" just for our first trip for Rainbows...a real killer from my fishing buddy in Oregon

Comment

Hmmmm Oregon? Wedding ring spinner?

Comment

Mack's Lures

Comment

Glad to be a new member of the group. Look forward to many adventures in 2017.

gdm
                Gregory
                ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                2014 Pro Angler 12
                '

Comment

I'm feeling good about 2017, I didn't fish as much as I'd liked to have in 2016 but it was still a fun year.

May everyone have a fun and safe New Year.
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Ok...Nice

Comment

They are super.trout killers.in the PNW

Comment

Thank you Ron. Happy New Year to you and to all.

One of my resolutions is to keep a fishing log in 2017 to make sure I capture the year’s memories precisely. But as I recall, here in the mid-Bay area where I do most of my kayak fishing the stripers arrived early last spring in good numbers and impressive in size. The Severn was particularly productive and I remember a rainy cool March day when my arms got tired of catching and releasing keepers not far from the launch at Jonas Green.

But I also recall how the stripers soon thereafter vacated the mid to lower Severn and never returned in the numbers my friends and I were accustomed to from prior seasons. Even in the fall they were scarce in that portion of the Severn.

Fortunately, the white perch did not disappoint. They never do. I caught many with my new 4 wt. flyrod and many more on jig spinners. Eleven and 12-inchers were common but I still failed to catch an elusive 13-inch citation sized white perch. However, if you want some fun, try a 12-inch white perch on a 4 weight flyrod.

I must say, the Severn’s 2016 pickerel disappointed. I don’t know why they have been scarce. Increased salinity from a dry fall perhaps. I hope they rebound in 2017. Please treat those you catch kindly to help them come back strong.

In September I fished in my 4th consecutive CBKA tournament enjoying the camaraderie of fellow kayak anglers in the meeting hall, including humorous tales from the originator of this thread. I also participated in the table raffle where I won a Werner Camano paddle.

Eastern Shore ponds provided a lot of my 2016 kayak action. Tuckahoe, Wye Mills, Unicorn and Smithville. Each contained willing, bluegills, crappie and pickerels. In May, Trap Pond, Delaware was the site of our second annual “Old Guy” multi-night kayak outing. Those trips offer great company with lots of pullage. I love fishing Eastern Shore ponds because they are shallow and the fish spend most of their time looking up…I think so anyway. My topwater successes support that theory. Poppers reign.

In addition to Delaware, my other out-of-state kayak angling forays in 2016 included several days on Lake Champlain in VT with fellow Snaggedliner Raptor where our arms ached from pulling in 18 to 20-inch smallmouth bass. What a beautiful location Lake Champlain is. I also went to Tampa FL two times in 2016 with Snaggedliners John Veil, John Rentch and Raptor, most recently last month, where I caught my first pompanos and my first FL bluefish -- impressive 5 to 6 pounders that pulled drag like crazy. Those pompanos pull hard too. And of course, speckled trout there are like white perch here – numerous and begging to be caught. I’ve gotten good at removing lures and flies from them. I didn’t get nicked once by their sharp teeth last year!

2016 was notable for me because I added a new kayak to my fleet. I have two favorite toys now, my Hobie Revo and my new Native Ultimate 12. The Ultimate is light, comfortable and paddles great. The Revo remains my big water long distance boat. But the Ultimate is becoming my preferred go-to boat.

Lastly, I published a book about kayak fishing in 2016. It was a way for me to say thanks to a hobby and to those of you who helped me grow in it.

Cheers to each of you on Snaggedline. May your kayak fishing exploits in 2017 live up the high expectations that accompany the start of our new year.

Mark
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I don't know what 2017 will bring for me in the fishing world. If it even approaches 2016, it will be fun and exciting. During 2016, I fished 166 days and caught 40 different species (32 of those were caught from a kayak). I caught two personal best stripers: a) largest striper caught by jigging (34") - with Capt. Walleye Pete in January, b) largest striper caught in kayak (37") - in the Severn in April.

I fished 30 days in Tampa with Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing during 8 separate trips (two more are already planned for early 2017). Mark, John Rentch, and Raptor (Terry) joined me there on some of the trips. Mark and John also joined me for several days of fishing from my center console in the lower Eastern Shore of Virginia last August. I also got some of the other Old Guys Who Like to Fish out on my center console in local waters. On separate days I had Yakmac (Keith) and (harlanbud) Harlan on the boat with their sons. Both boys caught fish including a surprise 27" striper for Harlan's son. EMSer (Bruce) fished with me several times in the boat too.

In March I published my first fishing book “Fishing in the Comfort Zone".

Growing old has few advantages. Fortunately DNR offers a couple of breaks for old guys. Last year I was able to buy a lifetime golden age state park pass for $10. This week I can apply for a senior fishing license for only $5/year. It is small consolation for getting old, but it is something.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes, Ron. Right back at ya!

2016 was good to me. It was my first full year of fishing from a kayak. I enjoyed a lot of great adventures, fished with many fun and experienced people and caught a bunch of fish. I hope 2017 holds more of the same for all of us.

Tight lines!
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

2016 was a nice year for me for largemouth bass and pike.
                              Didn't catch near enough smallmouth bass and didn't have enough trips on the Upper Potomac.
                              2016 was a failure as far as kayak fishing near Duck, NC.
                              2016 saw me get addicted to fly fishing for bluegills and bass. I never get tired of top water action on the fly.
                              For 2017 I want to catch fish on flies that I make myself.
                              I also want to figure out how to catch fish consistently in the Ocean and sound around Duck, NC.

Comment

Working...
                              X