Two kayakers perished this week....RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two kayakers perished this week....RIP

1. VIRGINIA BEACH- An off-duty Virginia Beach-based Navy SEAL died after his kayak overturned in frigid Chesapeake Bay waters about 2 miles west of Cape Charles near Cherrystone Inlet, the Navy said Thursday.

The Coast Guard recovered Petty Officer 1st Class Devon Grube on Wednesday and took him to Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital in Nassawadox on the Eastern Shore, where he died from his injuries, the Navy said.

Lt. Trevor Davids, a Navy Special Warfare Center spokesman, said Grube’s death “appears to be from environmental exposure.” Water temperatures in the area were about 46 degrees, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

“Our deepest condolences go out the sailor’s family as we work to ensure that they have the support they need in this difficult time,” Davids said in a statement. “We thank the Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads Command Center, Virginia Marine Police, and the Virginia Marine Resources Commission for their assistance.”

The Navy didn’t release Grube’s age or hometown, but a 2008 Associated Press story that appeared in the Bismarck Tribune reported he’s from Cavalier, N.D., near the Canadian border. That story said he was 27 at the time and became a SEAL with one of his best friends from childhood, Tony Clark, who lived four doors down.

“I figured that if I was going to serve my country, I wanted to do it at one of the highest levels possible,” Grube said in the story. “It seemed like a good challenge.”

He joined the Navy in 2005 after graduating from the University of North Dakota. He had been awarded a Joint Service Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, among others.

“Looking back, you can see this career is a good fit,” Grube’s mother, Kaye Furstenau, said in 2008. “Devon always lived on the edge. When he was 2 years old, he jumped into the water off the high board. He and Tony always looked for exciting things to do.”

The Coast Guard said Wednesday that watchstanders were notified at 9:20 a.m. that a man had overturned his kayak.

Watch-standers issued an urgent marine information broadcast, a 45-foot rescue boat from Coast Guard Station Cape Charles launched at 9:22 a.m., and an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City took off at 9:42 a.m.

The boat crew reached the scene at 9:45 a.m., and the helicopter crew at 10:45 a.m. The helicopter crew located Grube at about 11 a.m. and directed the boat crew to him to pull him out of the water, according to the Coast Guard.

Grube was brought ashore and transferred to Northampton County Emergency Medical Services personnel at about 11:20 a.m., the Coast Guard said.

2. Coroner: Veteran kayaker pulled from Susquehanna River died of hypothermia

The veteran kayaker whose body was pulled from the Susquehanna River Thursday has been identified.

Charles (Chuck) Moore, 66, of the 500 block of East Strawberry Street Lancaster, died of hypothermia, Lancaster County Coroner Dr. Stephen Diamantoni said after an autopsy Friday.

“It appears he fell out of his kayak,” the coroner said. “The temperature of the water was 34 degrees. It was too cold for him to make it to the shore. You can’t live very long in water like that.”

The veteran kayaker whose body was pulled from the Susquehanna River Thursday has been identified.

Charles (Chuck) Moore, 66, of the 500 block of East Strawberry Street Lancaster, died of hypothermia, Lancaster County Coroner Dr. Stephen Diamantoni said after an autopsy Friday.

“It appears he fell out of his kayak,” the coroner said. “The temperature of the water was 34 degrees. It was too cold for him to make it to the shore. You can’t live very long in water like that.”

Moore had been missing for two days before he was pulled from the Susquehanna River in Martic Township Thursday.

Southern Regional police Officer Jesse Blank said Moore was last seen around noon on Tuesday when he said he was going kayaking.

No one witnessed the accident, but Diamantoni said he believes Moore went into the water soon after launching his kayak. He was wearing a flotation device.

A search of the river was started around 12:30 p.m. Thursday after Moore’s car was found parked at Safe Harbor Park in the 5200 block of River Road. A short time later, Moore’s red kayak was discovered about eight miles downstream at Holtwood Dam.

Moore’s body was found floating in the water, about four miles south of the Safe Harbor Dam, Blank said. Diamantoni said that was around 4:30 p.m.

Blank said Moore was an avid kayaker with more than 20 years of experience. Diamantoni said he was also a well-known photographer.

State police, along with officials from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, are also investigating.

Tragic. Sounds like both were experienced and capable but no mention of wearing protective gear other than a flotation device. Unfortunately cold water shows no mercy.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Amen to your comment
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Very sad; certainly makes you think.

I was curious too as to what they were wearing?
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          Very sad; certainly makes you think.

I was curious too as to what they were wearing?
          Me too, these sad events sure act as a reminder to make sure one has the proper gear to withstand the elements if their venturing out this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
            Me too, these sad events sure act as a reminder to make sure one has the proper gear to withstand the elements if their venturing out this time of year.
            ....... And to not go alone .......... There are dry suits on sale for less than $400. How much is your life worth?

Also, you are not much good if your hands and feet won't work. That can happen fast in cold water.

Be careful guys .......... Please!!!

Comment

Prayers.
              Harlan

Revo 13
              Trident 13
              Cuda 14
              Necky Tandem

Comment

Botth guys alone....big mistake in frigid waters in my book

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                  Botth guys alone....big mistake in frigid waters in my book

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                  Seal wasnt alone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                  2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I don't wear a dry suit. I wear a waist high wader and a wind breaker /Jacket. I've been in the frigid water often in real and practice I mentioned this few times about the cold water/cold air kayak-fishing.

To me the most important things in the frigid water fishing are:
                    • Ability to reenter fast - during the practice with full tackles/gears, it should be within 15 seconds in the cold water. if you can't make reentry second time during the practice, think again.
                    • Leash yourself to the kayak - The wind/wave can take your kayak away from you faster than you can swim (with full gear). Leash yourself always to the kayak (especially when ice on the water is present. I have seen dead kids under thin ice.
                    • Windbreaker Jacket - it will keep you warm until you reach the beach (or your vehicle) for about an hour.
                    • Wave less than 1.5' - Depending on the wind direction.
                    • Constant Reentry practices

IMO,
                    Protective gears such as dry suit, are very important. With dry suit on, you can resume fishing after a reentry Without dry suit, I come back to my truck, warmed up (one hour minimum in the truck, and wear the second set of clothing (I carry 2 sets of clothing including waders).

Though, Dry suits (or protective gears) don't matter if you are separated from your kayak or you can't reenter fast (especially you are miles off the shore). I learned this during the self rescue practice with a group. For example, a guy (with dry suit on) would die if it wasn't a group self rescue practice.

Being 63, I have been learning and acknowledging myself of degrading my physical abilities for self rescue. So in the past few months I fear (more) of many things before I leave home and before I launch the kayak - because in winter i don't expect any help available. I will be fishing alone.

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-03-2017, 07:49 AM.
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      I don't wear a dry suit. I wear a waist high wader and a wind breaker /Jacket. I've been in the frigid water often in real and practice I mentioned this few times about the cold water/cold air kayak-fishing.

To me the most important things in the frigid water fishing are:
                      • Ability to reenter fast - during the practice with full tackles/gears, it should be within 15 seconds in the cold water. if you can't make reentry second time during the practice, think again.
                      • Leash yourself to the kayak - The wind/wave can take your kayak away from you faster than you can swim (with full gear). Leash yourself always to the kayak (especially when ice on the water is present. I have seen dead kids under thin ice.
                      • Windbreaker Jacket - it will keep you warm until you reach the beach (or your vehicle) for about an hour.
                      • Wave less than 1.5' - Depending on the wind direction.
                      • Constant Reentry practices

IMO,
                      Protective gears such as dry suit, are very important. With dry suit on, you can resume fishing after a reentry Without dry suit, I come back to my truck, warmed up (one hour minimum in the truck, and wear the second set of clothing (I carry 2 sets of clothing including waders).

Though, Dry suits (or protective gears) don't matter if you are separated from your kayak or you can't reenter fast (especially you are miles off the shore). I learned this during the self rescue practice with a group. For example, a guy (with dry suit on) would die if it wasn't a group self rescue practice.

Being 63, I have been learning and acknowledging myself of degrading my physical abilities for self rescue. So in the past few months I fear (more) of many things before I leave home and before I launch the kayak - because in winter i don't expect any help available. I will be fishing alone.

Joe
                      When I fish alone on familiar/unfamiliar waters, I lease myself with a 20ft line connected to my PFD and the yak. Never spilled, but knowing I am leased makes me feel more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        [*]Ability to reenter fast - during the practice with full tackles/gears, it should be within 15 seconds in the cold water. if you can't make reentry second time during the practice, think again.
                        Yep. I agree with Joe that this is probably the most critical part. Even with a drysuit on, you need to get out of the water quickly. If your kayak has so much junk and obstacles attached to it that it prevents immediate reentry, or is so big you can't right it yourself if it is upside down, then going out in the cold is not a good idea in my opinion.
                        Brian

Comment

I fish alone most of the time and I am 100% confident in being able to get back in the kayak fast but have debated in my mind about tethering myself to the kayak because I worry about being tangled in the tether. I think this is a good idea and I'll probably make one before I go out again. It would really suck for the wind or current to take the kayak faster than I could swim to get it

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26817#p283240
                          2013 WS Ride 135
                          2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by rwh View Post
                            I fish alone most of the time and I am 100% confident in being able to get back in the kayak fast but have debated in my mind about tethering myself to the kayak because I worry about being tangled in the tether. I think this is a good idea and I'll probably make one before I go out again. It would really suck for the wind or current to take the kayak faster than I could swim to get it

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26817#p283240
                            I hate to say it but being 100% confident, yet worrying about the kayak drifting away or being tangled in a leash does not describe being 100% confident. You are basically saying that if everything goes well and there are no complications you should be able to get back in the kayak, that's not 100% confidence. There are no 100% guarantees. I'd imagine that right up to the moment of it happening that most people involved in accidental deaths are 100% sure that nothing is going to happen to them.

Obviously the news has justifiably caused you some doubts and you may want to go with your gut feelings a little more. Fishing alone in cold water is very very dangerous, take it very serious. I'm not saying go out in great fear. Yet even in warm water having 100% confidence that something bad is not going to happen is not realistic. You are risking your life just as I risk mine in pursuing some things I'd rather not and some things I enjoy. There is only one thing that I am 100% confident in and that is that the unexpected will happen. Being aware that they will happen can be the key to being as safe as possible but still no guarantee that it won't end in tragedy.

Comment

DonV, points well taken. Thanks for the insight.
                              2013 WS Ride 135
                              2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X