• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know any details?

http://www.10news.com/news/military/...ayak-overturns
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

What a tragic lost of a fine young man. Keep his family, friends, and fellow SEAL brothers in your thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Man this sucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

There are a couple of important things showing up in news accounts and other blogs now. He was supposedly wearing a PFD, but not a dry suit, and was with a buddy. The lesson for the rest of us is this...anything less that a full dry suit just will not be enough in 45 deg water. The young man had world class fitness level, and the best cold water survival training in the world. It is foolish for any of us to think we could have survived in a similiar situation. This young man was only in the water two hours, a dive shop owner on another blog said a good dry suit would have given him up to seven hours. I have read that if you are soaking wet in this kind of water temperature, you only have five minutes to self rescue because your hands lose their ability to grasp. Not much time for a buddy to get to you, right a yak with all the gear tangled up hanging off of it, and then pull yourself back on, located you dry clothes bag, and then change before hypothermia sets in. Then factor in that they were a couple of miles off shore. Lots to think about.

Comment

Sad and scary indeed. I bet even waders and a dry top could've prevented this. It's a quick decision (not to put on safety gear) that can really cost you. Hopefully this serves as yet another reminder, not that we really needed any, that kayaking in this, or any season, can be very dangerous.

Comment

Working...
          X