Jig heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig heads?

Which jighead do you guys prefer for your z-mans and other paddle tails?
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

I use bass pros Off shore angler shad head when trolling. You should get a lot of different opinions on this one.....

Comment

Started with the one Harry mentioned in previous post. My Go-To with great success and "durability" is the Hard Head Custom baits in Pearl and Chartreuse. Love them!!
      You can get them at local tackle shops and on line at www.hardheadcustombaits.com

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Jig heads?

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
        I use bass pros Off shore angler shad head when trolling. You should get a lot of different opinions on this one.....
        +1

We used these this fall for inshore stuff and I really like em too. I like the 1/2 oz as a go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by sega; 12-26-2016, 10:52 AM.
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          Started with the one Harry mentioned in previous post. My Go-To with great success and "durability" is the Hard Head Custom baits in Pearl and Chartreuse. Love them!!
          You can get them at local tackle shops and on line at www.hardheadcustombaits.com

Yak67
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
          2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
          +1 on the hard heads.

Comment

I'm not picky about the jig head. I've used the offshore brand and a few others. Biggest thing for me is to use superglue to hold the zman in place.

Comment

Thanks fellas, just thought this would be a decent winter time thread.
              I picked up four packs of these at Sea Hawk at the beginning of the season and as I was taking inventory I noticed I was low. Don't know what th are but they kept a sharp hook and could hold the shad pretty well. Anyone know what they are? Box long gone. Gotchas, always a good call, and those customs look good. Anyone use the VMC swimming shads? They look like they would hold well, unfortunately no chartreuse.
              IMG_3170.jpg
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Agree with the BPS Offshore Brand for ZMan. Although pricey, I use the ZMan jigheads too. The keeper on these products help keep the bodies on the jig. Anything else, Gotcha is tough to beat for the money.
                2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                  Thanks fellas, just thought this would be a decent winter time thread.
                  I picked up four packs of these at Sea Hawk at the beginning of the season and as I was taking inventory I noticed I was low. Don't know what th are but they kept a sharp hook and could hold the shad pretty well. Anyone know what they are? Box long gone. Gotchas, always a good call, and those customs look good. Anyone use the VMC swimming shads? They look like they would hold well, unfortunately no chartreuse.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]20624[/ATTACH]
                  That's one of the BPS Offshore Angler variants. I use these as well as the ones with the wire keeper.
                  2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                  2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Pretty sure those are BPS flat heads. I like those for BKDs bc they don't have a barb and it keeps the head of the plastics from splitting as easy. For zman's I use all sorts of different jigheads but I always use super glue! Specifically - Loctite Super Glue Gel Control.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I use whatever I happen to have handy- although I tried some bass assassin heads and love their wide gap 3X hooks- pricey though...Sea Striker flatheads are what I have the most of right now in 1/8 and 1/4 oz...this time of year I use a lot of white and chartreuse bucktails with the swim shads- Stripers seem to hit them better than plain jig heads dressed with swim baits..
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-27-2016, 04:47 PM.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Jig heads?

Are those Gotcha jigheads from Walmart? Look just like them with similar packaging. I bought some a few years ago and the hooks straighten way to easily.

Mike

Comment

I use the VMC half-moon heads for freshwater and the Zman heads for brackish as the hooks are a bit brittle on the VMCs.

Zman also has a new weighted swimbait hook out, called the EK Keeper;
                          http://zmanfishing.com/img/product_i...H30-316PK3.jpg

I bought a pack in the fall but never got around to fishing them. It does seem to hold their lures very well.
                          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I have a variety of "Do-It" molds and I make my own jigs, jig spinners and bucktails from them.

My hooks (Eagle Claw) range from size 1 for 1/8 oz. jigs to size 3/0 for 1/2 oz. jigs. I pour a few 5/8 oz. jigs, but not many. They get 4/0 hooks. But I rarely fish a jig heavier than 1/2 oz.

Powder paint gives them a nice finish.

Here is a sample of my pours and ties:

A.JPG

This is the primary jig style I use for casting and tolling soft plastics:

P1010759.jpg

Here's one with my favorite soft plastic, a 12 Fathoms Fat Sam:

A.jpg

That particular combo will catch most anything that swims.

Here is what my bucktails look like immediately after pouring:

Hot LipsB.jpg

And here's a finished 1/2 oz. bucktail:

A.jpg

My fishing buddies keep me well supplied with lead. I recycle their old jigs and sinkers that they've found. I give them a few new jigs in return. I've also collected a number of tangled bottom rigs dripping with lead hanging under the fishing pier at Jonas Green and other places.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I picked up a couple packs of the Kalin's ultimate S heads that BPS stocks. Mustad hooks and the finish on the heads look good as new after a lot of use in the bay and the ocean. On one particularly good day of catching, I swapped out the Kalin head for an eyeless one same weight/color with the same z-man bait on it. The Kalin with eyes continued to catch fish while the plain head was left untouched. This was in no way a perfectly controlled experiment but enough for me.

IMG_1620[1].jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X