Wilderness Systems Radar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilderness Systems Radar?

I have been fishing my Tarpon 120 since July of 14. I am not a super technical guy when it comes to reading forums and keeping up with the newest stuff but the ad for the new Radar caught my attention. You all have any thoughts on this boat? Says the PD (pedal drive) will be available in the spring of 17.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

There's an obx kayak charter guide who said it best, and I'm paraphrasing here, but basically it seems like a really cool boat since it's designed to be paddle driven, but the pedal or trolling motor systems are upgrades. All the other pedal boats, except for maybe the revo or something, are designed to be primarily pedal (i.e. wider and heavier than typical paddle boats), with the paddle as backup. So it certainly appeals to me too. I also like the Perception Pilot, I think it'll probably be one of the "cheapest" pedal boats out there.

Comment

The hull is suppose to be similar to there atak series of kayaks. But at 34.5" wide for the 115 It would be a HARD PASS on that kayak for me. The 135 looks like a good boat and I hear the atak paddles well....just not for distance. But with having the options of paddle and peddle it sounds like that problem is solved. I would consider it a gear junkie/ tournament kayak. You can stand and cast...and load those type of kayaks down with A LOT of gear! Not my type of kayak but if your looking for versatility from a kayak the radar 135 seems like the best do it all kinda kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I keep thinking of "upgrading" from my Old Town Canoe, to a pedal yak, but after 4 knee surgeries, I don't think that this is a good option for me.
        If I do get a yak, I will probably look to motorize, like I have done to the Canoe.
        The weight seems a bit more than I'd like to car top, my canoe only goes about 55 pounds, and I ain't getting any younger.

Comment

I wonder how the pedal system will be on this? I may just stick with my old Tarpon for another season. It has served me well and I just may be "jonesing" for some pedals. Since I am in the river most of the time I may have what I already need. Just getting the itch and it seems like a nice boat but it does seem heavy compared to my minimally rigged Tarpon.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
            I wonder how the pedal system will be on this? I may just stick with my old Tarpon for another season. It has served me well and I just may be "jonesing" for some pedals. Since I am in the river most of the time I may have what I already need. Just getting the itch and it seems like a nice boat but it does seem heavy compared to my minimally rigged Tarpon.
            It is exciting for the kayak fishing community that several manufacturers announced pedal-drive kayaks during the outdoors shows last summer. I have served on Native Watercraft's Pro Staff team for the past few years and was able to purchase two of their new generation pedal-drive kayaks as they first came onto the market (Slayer Propel 13 in late 2013 and Slayer Propel 10 in fall 2014) . Even though those pedal drives were an update on an earlier generation of Propels and had been tested by a small group of Native Staff members, they were not perfect. There were some design and operational issues that were not initially obvious, but which became apparent as thousands of new users tried the drives in real world situations. After some minor revision and tweaking, many of those initial shortcomings have been remedied.

I have never used a Hobie Mirage drive. But one of my fishing buddies bought an early Outback model with the new Mirage that features reverse capability. He was not happy with the way it performed.

My point in mentioning these issues is that any type of pedal drive is a complicated mechanical device with moving parts and probably close tolerances in the way parts fit together. Any new model that comes to market reflects the best intentions of the designers. However, inadequate quality control in the factories that make the units, lack of experience by the dealers that sell and adjust the units, and unintended functional quirks will happen. If you are a die-hard Wilderness fan and want a pedal drive unit, go into the purchase with the expectation that those pedal drives units may have some initial flaws and will soon get better. You may want to wait a year to let the drives get tested out and revised. Or you could consider Native or Hobie units that already have many years of experience with foot-pedal drives.

Good luck in figuring this out. Pedal drives are here to stay. With competition from many of the large kayak companies, the features and performance are likely to get better over time.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don’t keep a trip log, but if I had to guess I used my paddle kayak on as many trips this season as my pedal kayak. There’s a simplicity to paddling that I enjoy. No mechanical issues to deal with, less set up time at the launch site, no worries about unseen obstructions or hitting the bottom in skinny water and best of all, my paddle boat is lighter to transport. Pedaling is here to stay and it’s great that more makers are entering the market. Their innovations will only improve what is a very good concept. But for those of you in the market for your first pedal boat, keep your paddle boat if you can. You may return to it more often than you think even after you have pedals.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This forum is the best for advice. Thanks to all. I think I am staying with the paddle this season and I am going to let these new pedal systems work themselves out.

Comment

The one good thing about the radar is if you want to upgrade to a pedal drive later you can. Try the kayak at a demo day this spring see how it paddles since that is what you do now. Then maybe by the fall see the reviews and get the drive. Wilderness does an excellent job of taking care of there customers. They currently rolled out with a fix for some issues with there high low lawn chair style seats. But on the other hand the tarpon is a excellent do it all paddle yak. Coming from a 140 last year. But to me the drive isn't worth it yet...and I fish the bay 80% of the time.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

One you might keep in the back of your mind for spring is a Feel Free Lure, Moken or newer Dagon when it is available, all can come with the new Overdrive system. With the Overdrive you can choose to either paddle, pedal or motor if you have the full Overdrive system. I wont be getting the Overdrive for mine because I already have mine set up the way I want it with a motor plus with my knees there is no way I could pedal a yak for very long regardless the type.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                      One you might keep in the back of your mind for spring is a Feel Free Lure, Moken or newer Dagon when it is available, all can come with the new Overdrive system. With the Overdrive you can choose to either paddle, pedal or motor if you have the full Overdrive system. I wont be getting the Overdrive for mine because I already have mine set up the way I want it with a motor plus with my knees there is no way I could pedal a yak for very long regardless the type.
                      Feel free has a good looking system as well. I'm pretty sure that only the lure series of kayaks will be able to use there overdrive system.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

It seems like it will serve me best to wait and see what happens over the spring with all of these new boats. I am 100% sure I dont want a motor powered yak. I think I will keep both of my Tarpons and add a pedal boat late summer. I am sure my wife will be happy that I have 3 kayaks.

Comment

Working...
                        X