Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonna Try To Make Some of These Floaters for Potomac Smallmouth

On the fly Guest

Good video on different fly tying threads. https://youtu.be/WvLgE20W-Rc

Thanks Harry,

Good find.

In addition to discussing the relative strengths of tying threads, the video illustrates how well flat threads lay on the hook.

I prefer flat threads because I can tie nicely tapered heads with them and they don't build up too fast when wrapping a jig.

But of course, fish don't care in the slightest about those nuances.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Smallmouth 05-31-13.jpgThere are a lot of tricks in Fly Tying. I tend to tie bullet-proof flies. One trick for threat is that I use to get kevlar thread for tying. You can't break that stuff and if you aren't careful it will cut the hell out of you. You can really bind down on materials and it is great if you are tying deer hair flies.

I have done some smallie fishing on the Potomac River. It is an amazing fishery. I have lost some HUGE fish and landed some pretty big ones. I lost one two years ago that had to be 22" long.

I love fishing top water but my go-to flies are streamers. I switch flies depending where I am fishing.

If you target BIG smallies then find some deeper water with large rocks with current moving through it; boulder water. This is where the big ones live during the spring, summer, and fall. I like throwing a Harry's Madtop Sculpin here. This has yielded me a 20" smallmouth once and a lot of very large smallies too. At the head and tail of the pool I like fishing a Shenk's White Streamer. Another newer streamer that I have been tying is a Shannon's Streamer (this is a HUGE fly and you need a large rod, like an 8 weight, just to cast it).

You are right on target with tying a yellow fly for the Potomac top water. It is a weird thing but I have found that in the Potomac and Rappahannock yellow is the best top water color (maybe because of small frogs that the bass feed on a lot) and on the Shenandoah throw a Carolina Blue fly (they feed on damsel flies there).

I would suggest using a Whip Finishing tool. They are relatively inexpensive and they work well. I tend to whip finish at least twice. I also thread glue the heck out of that area.

On the fly Guest

You normally do not need Kevlar thread and it does not do well with knots so you have to add lots of glue. Also i have heard of tiers cutting deer hair while cranking down on the Kevlar. Flat waxed is what I normally use on all my salt flies and 6/0 or flymaster plus for smallmouth flies. But if it works for you then go for it!

Some of my monstrous creations. This is difficult, but fun.

On the fly Guest

Nice job. Always fun to catch fish on flies you tied.

On the fly Guest

some of my larger flies
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    ...This is difficult, but fun.
    The difficulty will end with experience. But the fun never will.
    Mark

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Getting a little better.

They'll work.

Goodness only knows why fish bite some of our creations.

That's why I've often questioned precise matching of the so-called hatch for aggressive predators like bass in a feeding mood.

Sometimes it helps, like during a white miller hatch.

Both other times it doesn't matter.

I've caught many on flies that look like nothing that swims in nature.
    Mark

Available on Amazon.com