Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna Try To Make Some of These Floaters for Potomac Smallmouth

On the fly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post

Problems:
    1. Putting the thread through the bobbin.
    2. Thread kept breaking, causing a repeat of #1.
    3. I can't whip finish by hand.
    4. Superglue gel is sticky.
    Come see us at bass pro January 14 th and Mark, Bignose, or myself may be able to help,with your problems

I hear ya,
    WIP finish by hand takes practice. I started that way a long time ago but read how to do it in a well photographed book. I just SAT there with cheap sowing thread and a salt hook till I got better at it. "It's all in the wrist"
    I often get break offs on foam flies. Look for the heaviest thread they sell or switch out for braided line or mono.
    You can also fish a loop of wire or mono through the bobbin to pull line through. There is a tool for that as well. I remember my bobbins getting gumbed up with wax over time and needing cleaning when I was a kid.

Good luck
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

1. You can get a tool that will help you thread the line.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Slick-Bras...obbin+threader

Or you can wet the end of the line with your saliva, insert the tip of the line into the bottom end of the spool, put your lips on the top end of the spool and suck like its a straw.

2. Your thread is too light. You're likely using thread for small flies. Get some flat waxed nylon thread for larger flies.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Flat-Wa...lon-P1307.aspx

3. Hard to explain but easy to do if someone shows you in slow motion. Use only your index and second finger...spin and twist. You really need to see it. Come to Bass Pro on January 14 and I will show you. Perhaps there are videos online. I have a whip finish tool and rarely use it. I can do larger ties much faster with my fingers.

4. Don't use gel for head cement. Use Sally Hansen Hard As Nails fingernail polish. Or you can buy head cement. Neither are as thick as the gel and each dries fast. You can put them on in light coats to make a tight finish.

By the way...your fly as tied, as wild looking as it is, will still work. Fish don't care about wayward feathers, too much glue or poorly tapered whip finishes. Only the tier cares. A hungry smallie is not discriminating in the slightest.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-23-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I have Danville's 70 denier flymaster 6/0 waxed thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    I have Danville's 70 denier flymaster 6/0 waxed thread.
    You might want to try a heavier thread.

Note the link I mentioned above was for 210 denier. The tradeoff, of course, is that you get about 1/2 as much thread per spool as with 70 denier. But the 210 cinches down nicely on jigs and heavily dressed flies and rarely breaks.

Good luck.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Yes, I need heavier thread.

I'd bite that if I was a smallmouth.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13

Available on Amazon.com

Mark is 100% dead-on with his advice.
    Here are a few quick pictures to try to support what he said:

IMG_0334-2.jpg
    Here is the Danville thread I use on the spinner jigs. It's the 210 denier as Mark mentions.

IMG_0337.jpg
    Here are two vastly different size lures: a size 16 nymph, and a size 8/0 jig head.
    When you are tying something really tiny, every wrap of thread and it's placement is important. That's what the extra thin thread is used for.
    On the big stuff, not so much.

IMG_0367-2.jpg
    In my younger days, I used to tie this size! Mustad size 20 dry fly hook!

IMG_0341.jpg
    This is a "home made" half hitch tool made from part of an old ball point pen. 5-6 half hitches are as good as a whip finish.

IMG_0345.jpg
    Just slide the thread down over the eye of the hook to finish off the head.

IMG_0353.jpg
    This is how I hand tie a whip finish.

IMG_0362.jpg
    It's a little harder with the spinner jig because the wire frame is in the way and the hook is pointing up.

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg
    Sally Hansen does a real nice job and gives you a nice buzz when you do 20 at a time!

It takes a while to develop the repetitive skills, it becomes a lot easier after the first 500 or so, because you don't have to think about everything you are doing, it becomes automatic.
    Last edited by bignose; 12-25-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Third try-me and the computer are arguing today. I would have put this reply down in the General Thread, but that seems to be the daily playground of some knuckle headed hacker, lately.

Here is how I tie a whip finish and a half hitch head on my flies. I tried to reverse the photos so they look normal to a right handed tier, but I kept getting them all sort of kattyywhampus.

IMG_0380.jpg
    I start by forming a crossover loop between my index and middle finger.

IMG_0381.jpg
    I take the loop over the top of the hook by bringing the loop on my middle finger around and behind the hook.

IMG_0382.jpg
    Observe that the first loop is formed and I continue to twirl my fingers around.

IMG_0383.jpg
    Notice how I cross my fingers to form the new loop. I deliberately did not snug up the first loop so you can see how it shapes up.

IMG_0384.jpg
    Second loop is carried over and snugged up.

IMG_0386.jpg
    I cross the line by twisting my fingers, form another loop and will carry that over the top using my middle finger.

IMG_0392.jpg
    The next loop is going around. I repeat this 7 times and then cut off the thread after snugging up. Cut the thread, don't break it off. You want to know where the end of your thread is, and you won't if you break it off.

IMG_0397.jpg
    To tie a half hitch, I use the tool I showed above. Here, I have tied a generic Wooly Bugger pattern, that could be used for Smallies, Perch, etc., on a 1/0 saltwater hook for clarity. I have used this tool for the tiniest of flies.

IMG_0398.jpg
    I start to wrap a loop around the tool. Notice that I have slightly flared the end of the pen so the thread doesn't slip off, it has to be eased up over the flare and onto the eye.

IMG_0411.jpg
    The loop is formed and ready to be slipped into place, and snugged up. This tool allows you to precisely place the thread where you want it, important with a small fly.
    After applying 5-7 of these, cut off, and cement in place with Sally Hansen.
    Last edited by bignose; 12-26-2016 at 02:04 PM.

On the fly Guest

Here is a link to a great video on how to do hand whip finish. https://youtu.be/M482D0wFvHA