One Chain Pickerel, Severn River, MD - 12/10/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Chain Pickerel, Severn River, MD - 12/10/16

The third stop of my own 2016 Christmas tour was Severn River, MD.
    My target fish was chain pickerel. I knew only one place for chain pickerel within the 3 hour driving distance from my home, and I thought it would be very easy to catch the pickerel in December.
    The weather forecast, especially the wind forecast wasn't good (15-16 MPH, gust up to 20 MPH) before I left home. Though I knew I could find the protected water base on the westerly wind direction.

Anyway I was well prepared for the first cold day of 2016. Well the wind forecast was wrong. The wind was at 5-15 MPH, not 15 - 16 MPH. Though the air temp forecast (26-34 F) was right.

I fished several different spots for chain pickerel. I couldn't find the pickerel. I had zero bite in the morning.

I tried my first spot again for one more hour on the way back to the launch site (Jonnas Green). I got one bite and one pickerel for the whole day. After one pickerel I was happy to call it a day.

I am not sure if the water was still too warm or too cold for chain pickerel because I had very limited experience in chain pickerel fishing.

In addition, I had a broken rod tip early in the morning. Luckly I carried a rod tip top replacement kit with a lighter in a sealed bag in my tackle bag. ( I also carried replacement chains, bolts and nuts for Hobie Mirrage fins - I learned and I used them before).

Fishing Log:

Thanks you
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-11-2016, 01:19 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Joe -

Thanks for the Severn Santa tour. You were heartier than the rest of us Severn regulars yesterday. We stayed off the water and met for lunch.

What you experienced yesterday is not unique this fall. I caught pickerel easily in October, but during November and early December, the bite has been extremely difficult. I fished twice during the week of Nov 28 in five different Severn creeks. I used a Gulp bait and had no bites at all on either trip. I often switch over to live minnows fished on a 1/8-oz jighead as the lure bite slows down. Last Wed, I caught five pickerel in one creek and none in a second creek. Given the ideal water and weather conditions that day, I expected to catch more than 10 pickerel easily -- it did not happen. I caught no large pickerel. All were in the 14" to 17" range. On Thurs I fished in a different Severn creek with minnows -- once again I had no bite.

My theory is that the lack of rainfall until recently has allowed the salinity to rise above the comfort level of chain pickerel. I believe they have moved, died off, or are lurking in small pockets of lower salinity where springs and seeps enter the creek bottoms. So far, I have not found where those pockets are.

I am sorry to see your pictures of skim ice. Once that starts, it takes some of the desirable pickerel habitat out of play.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice looking pickerel Santa! Good job in rough conditions!

Comment

Saw you about 9 as I was coming over the NA Bridge. Hope your trip back to JG wasn't too rough
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
          Saw you about 9 as I was coming over the NA Bridge. Hope your trip back to JG wasn't too rough
          The forecast at 3 AM (when I woke up) was wrong. It wasn't windy at all when I got there at 6. I think you saw me when I left the first spot to the second spot. It was windy last year Dec 3. But the fishing was good that day.

I may try one more time time after good rain (John's tip) in January next year.

Thanks
          Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Congratulations Santa.

You certainly covered a lot of territory...but I guess that's nothing new for you.

I hope you got my letter.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

How did you break the rod tip?

I've learned from experience (twice, actually ) to carry a repair kit too.
              Brian

Comment

Has anyone been out and had any luck lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X