Subaru Outback Owners - Rack question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Outback Owners - Rack question

Subaru changed the rack system starting with the 2010 model. The beam can swing 90 deg and attach to the other side. The beam then serves as a cross bar.

The earlier models (2009 and earlier) has the older rack system, which seems to be Ok with my Thule crossbars installed. The distance between the cross bars look wide enough to adequately support the yak. The rack also seems beefier to hold the Thule and yak.

If I attach the Thule cross bars on a 2010 model, is the cross bar distance enough to provide good and stable support, even though the distance is much smaller? The rotatable beam seems rather flimsy. Is it strong enough to hold a Hobie Outback?

Attached is a pic of the attach point of my Thule cross bar set.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

An Outback, on an Outback?
    Sorry, couldn't resist!

My current 2015 Outback, and as I recall, my 2009 Outback was limited to placing 75 pounds on the stock crossbars, according to the owner's manual. The side rails look capable of holding more, so if the weight is placed on the Thule cross bars, you should be O.K.
    My other concern is that the cross bars are pretty close together, so there is a good bit of overhang on each end.
    I routinely carry my 16 foot Canoe on top, but it only weighs 55 pounds, I assume your Hobie goes double that.

Comment

Bought my outback at Delaware paddle sports and brought it home to Harford county on my 2015 Outback with no problem.outback.jpg

Comment

Didn't you get a pickup?

Comment

I figured the 2010 (and later) rack system only allowed limited spacing between my Thule cross bars. Looks like you guys say it's still OK. The 2009 rack system allows more cross bar distance.

As I recall, my 2015 Outback yak weighs 88 lbs.

Mike O,
          Looks like you used the rail as a cross bar. Did the cross bars yield a bit and bounce from the yak weight? In my case, I would not use the rails as cross bars.

Yes, I have a truck, but I'm looking to get a used spare vehicle (w/ stick). May as well also make sure it can handle my Thule/Yak. And it looks like I'm not limited to 2009 and earlier models.

Thanks!
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I attached the 2 j bars to the crossbars. I didn't notice any bouncing. I actually bought that Subaru outback to transport my Hobie Outback, but because of my bad shoulder I have decided to use my pickup instead.

Comment

From google: "Maximum load 150 pounds." It should be printed on the rack system. Not sure if they acrtually say in the owner's manual what the limit is for the cross bars.

Bow and stern ties might help.

Comment

Working...
              X