Patapsco 12/4 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco 12/4 report

When I saw the Sunday forecast I decided to pass on tickets to the Ravens game to try and get one last keeper of the season. Launched around 8:30 from Armistead, winds light and forecasted to lay down as the day went on. Got a surprise hook up within 5 minutes trolling a 5 inch z-man with 1/2 oz head through the shallows on the way out to the channel edges. It was 21" but with such early action I figured the fish were hear and catching would be abundant so I let him go. That was not the case. Didn't get another bite for 2 hours, a skinny 20" that I sent back. Worked the angle out and back with tandems and a mini umbrella yielding a couple sub legal fish. I saw marks deep but I don't have enough experience with heavy tackle to know if my baits were running deep enough to get to them.

I decided to check over in the creek channel and found good marks in 35' of water and decided to try jigging for awhile which I've never really done for rockfish. A 10" z-man on a 2oz head was the ticket. Picked up 8 fish over 20" in an hour. It was really neat to be able to watch my jig on the FF and work it through the marks, quickly being able to adjust depth. I feel like it's the first time I've ever caught the exact fish that I've marked. Ended up bringing home a 23.5" for supper.

IMG_1749[1].jpg

Saw a couple trucks with kayak racks and rockfish stickers, not sure if they were snaggedliners or not. Never spotted them on the water and were gone when I got back to the ramp. Couple of boaters I spoke to reported skunks and didn't see much action on other boats as well. Couldn't have asked for a better day on the water in December though.

Awesome job bro! Jigging for Rockfish is way more fun than trolling for them. And you're right catching the fish you actually marked is a great feeling!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerTech View Post
      When I saw the Sunday forecast I decided to pass on tickets to the Ravens game to try and get one last keeper of the season. Launched around 8:30 from Armistead, winds light and forecasted to lay down as the day went on. Got a surprise hook up within 5 minutes trolling a 5 inch z-man with 1/2 oz head through the shallows on the way out to the channel edges. It was 21" but with such early action I figured the fish were hear and catching would be abundant so I let him go. That was not the case. Didn't get another bite for 2 hours, a skinny 20" that I sent back. Worked the angle out and back with tandems and a mini umbrella yielding a couple sub legal fish. I saw marks deep but I don't have enough experience with heavy tackle to know if my baits were running deep enough to get to them.

I decided to check over in the creek channel and found good marks in 35' of water and decided to try jigging for awhile which I've never really done for rockfish. A 10" z-man on a 2oz head was the ticket. Picked up 8 fish over 20" in an hour. It was really neat to be able to watch my jig on the FF and work it through the marks, quickly being able to adjust depth. I feel like it's the first time I've ever caught the exact fish that I've marked. Ended up bringing home a 23.5" for supper.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20513[/ATTACH]

Saw a couple trucks with kayak racks and rockfish stickers, not sure if they were snaggedliners or not. Never spotted them on the water and were gone when I got back to the ramp. Couple of boaters I spoke to reported skunks and didn't see much action on other boats as well. Couldn't have asked for a better day on the water in December though.
      Great Job! Nice to know that somebody was able to take advantage o the weather and the absence of rude power boaters!

gdm
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

Nice job, glad to see there is still some around.

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerTech View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20513[/ATTACH]

Pm'd you about possibly fishing this weekend

Comment

Working...
          X