Freshwater trout near the Arctic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater trout near the Arctic

Fished a freshwater pond in southeastern Massachusetts today. Water was 43 and air was about the same give or take a bit. Fished from 2pm till dark. The trout were cooperating today. Caught all slow fishing near the bottom with a jig head with a yellow and white skirt. Tipped with worms. Three all together landed. All going on the smoker. Lost a few others on the way in.

IMG_0388.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's the best way to smoke trout?
      Can I smoke trout after it's been frozen?
      Does anyone have a good recipe for smoked trout dip?
      Thanks!

Comment

I smoke them in a Cameron smoker. I remove the grates and place the smoker directly on the grill on high(gas grill). I place alder(ground) in the bottom of the smoker, a drip pan goes in, then the rack with fish. I squeeze a lemon on the fish and salt and pepper. I leave the skin on. Close the lid as tightly as possible and cook for about 20 minutes. The fish stays moist and has a great smokey flavor. The skin pulls off and the fish flakes off the bone. I've never made a dip with trout. But I have with bluefish and seabass. Let me know if you need a recipe. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron75 View Post
          I smoke them in a Cameron smoker. I remove the grates and place the smoker directly on the grill on high(gas grill). I place alder(ground) in the bottom of the smoker, a drip pan goes in, then the rack with fish. I squeeze a lemon on the fish and salt and pepper. I leave the skin on. Close the lid as tightly as possible and cook for about 20 minutes. The fish stays moist and has a great smokey flavor. The skin pulls off and the fish flakes off the bone. I've never made a dip with trout. But I have with bluefish and seabass. Let me know if you need a recipe. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Anyone smoked trout after freezing them? I have about 30 rainbows in the freezer that need to turn into food.

Comment

I have, I defrosted in a brine for 24 hours. Worked just fine.

And I've smoked other frozen filets that I just defrosted and smoked with a rub, but those were not wild.

I would think a brine is the way to go if you are concerned with spoilage.

Comment

Every trout that I've smoked had already been in the freezer for a bit. I use a variation of this recipe http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...m#.WExrO_krLic
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
              X