No announcement yet.

Numb Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dry pants have a nice sealable cuff around the ankle. Under the cuff I put on some low neoprene socks, throw on some high neoprene boots over them and go. After I launch and I've made it past the breakers I dump my boots out and usually just slip them back on and am fine all day. The pedaling probably helps a lot but it seems like the neoprene actually insulates better when its wet. Sometimes, though, when its real frigid I will bring out a towel to dry off my feet, some dry wool socks, those stick on toe warmers, and separate dry lower cut neoprene boots all in a dry bag and change them out after the launch. I only did this last winter in Dec/Jan when it was stupid cold out in the mornings. This is a real big hassle but it extended my day by a few hours when there were lots of fish around so it was worth it.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

So I went out this morning and fished from 4am - 7:30am. On my feet I wore a pair of light, tightly knit pair of wool socks, a pair of hand and warmers under the ball of each foot, and a heavier, less tightly knit sock over that. And then my drysuit. Last time I fished the early morning and ended up with ice block feet it was mid-30's air temp. Today it was mid-20's, and even though my feet were starting to get cold by the time I finished up, they were far from being frozen.

I used small hand warmers, but saw at 7-Eleven on my way home that they have extra large ones too. Think I'll try those next time to cover more surface area of the foot.

Fishing had cooled down too. Last trip I found plenty of fat 22" - 27" stripers behind OC; this trip one little 20"er. Crossed over to the beach after I finished up, but it was lifeless there too.
      Brian

Comment

Well I think when you use neoprene socks, it increased the compression. With compression, its hard to keep the feet warm. U need warm air to circulate. It's like sleeping naked in a sleeping bag in the winter time. It's against logic but it really works.
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I have had a fair amount on experience keeping my feet warm in extreme cold. I am a lifelong skier, and I have been in weather of an actual temp. of -32 F and a wind chill of -70F . The Gortex in your clothing actually crunches as the moisture freezes before it evaporates. Any exposed skin will have frostbite in about 2 minutes. Avoiding moisture retention and retaining blood circulation are the two things that matter the most in keeping you warm. If you use a neoprene boot on the outside of the sock, your foot will soon be wet from trapped moisture, and thus cold. Insulate in loose layers that wick and allow the blood to flow in your feet. On the coldest days this is what works for my drysuit. I use a thin polypro sock liner (sold at ski shops), then a thin lightweight polypro boot sock, and finally a heavy wool boot sock. I make sure I pull some extra room in the toe of each sock as I layer up so my toes have wiggle room. Then I use an oversize river sandal to protect the booty of the suit. The moisture from my foot wicks through the socks and then wicks through the Gortex of the suit, and the layers keep me warm. I have not used hand or foot warmers, although many of my ski buddies like them.

Comment

I use wool boot socks inside my stocking foot waders- usually in really cold weather I put on some Under Armour long John's and layer....and a dry top over it all...I stay reasonably comfortable, but I also think the exercise of trolling with the Mirage Drive stair stepping motion helps keep my feet warm...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X