Numb Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numb Feet

So who has the cure for keeping your feet from turning into blocks of ice this time of year when out on the water?

I typically wear a nice pair of wool socks under my dry suit, and then a pair of loose fitting neoprene socks over the dry suit feet. The neoprene socks are not so much for warmth, but to protect my dry suit footings from getting punctured as I don't wear shoes.

My feet will sometimes get chilled during the day, but it's when I fish during the dark in cold weather that the really start to get numb.

I try to make sure the layers I wear on my feet aren't too tight, thus restricting circulation leading to cold feet.

Just wondering if anybody has a secret trick or sock suggestions?

Thanks.
    Brian

Seems to me you're doing it right, might try some toe warmers or even pocket warmers on your legs. My hands and feet always get cold fast, but if I keep my body very warm they usually don't freeze up.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I use Hand warmers from Costco. Hand warmers are bigger than foot warmer. For that I need enough air space in the toe areas.

for one foot,
      in 25-45 F air, I wear a thin nylon sock first. I put a hand warmer on/above the toe area. I wear a thicker wool or nylon sock over the hand warmer. All my waders are stocking foot models for this reason. The boot wader doesn't work because it doesn't have enough space in foot area. I can wear large sandals or large boots for the wader sole protection. If you have very large feet, you don't have to wear sandals because you can't find larger sandals. Just don't step on the sharp stuff, such as sharp gravels and shells.

About the hand warmer,
      Before you put it on, let it breath for about 3 minutes after opening the package.

I use cheap Wal-Mart socks and Cabela's neoprene waiste high stocking waders. I carry two of everything because I did get capsized often. I want to fish again after wearing dry socks, sweat pants, shirts and waders) NO COTTONs!!!!

A Wind breaker is must. The wind breaker kept me warm when I was wet.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Last season someone here advised me not to put the neoprene socks over the dry suit feet but to put them on over my wool socks. It isnt a cure all but my feet went from "man, I really hope I can stand when I get back to the launch" to "man, my toes are cold". But at least I could actually feel my toes.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I do the same sock layer with the hand warmers like Joe but recently I've read that a lot of heat is lost from the bottom of the foot.

I haven't tried it, but I've seen wilderness tips where they take a cheap car reflective sun visor and cut it to their foot size and put it under their foot (inside the boot) to retain the heat being lost. The other day I saw something made just for that being sold at Walmart but I can't remember the brand. I'll be trying this next time where I'll tape it to the bottom of my wool socks and then get into my dry suit. I also wear sandals on the outside.
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Stocking foot waders - They usually comes 3 MM neoprene foot areas. That keeps feet warm with the hand warmer and two thin and thick socks. I always had toasty feet when the reel spools got frozen.

If you can get back on the kayak within 1-2 minutes when turtled, the 35-40 F water isn't that bad. But you need a wind breaker (upper body) to keep the body warm from the blowing wind before you come back to you vehicle within an hour.

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Buy oversized crocs to put over those triple layer booties. The back strap keeps them on pretty tight. They fit into my Mirage Drive petals as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                I do the same sock layer with the hand warmers like Joe but recently I've read that a lot of heat is lost from the bottom of the foot.

I haven't tried it, but I've seen wilderness tips where they take a cheap car reflective sun visor and cut it to their foot size and put it under their foot (inside the boot) to retain the heat being lost. The other day I saw something made just for that being sold at Walmart but I can't remember the brand. I'll be trying this next time where I'll tape it to the bottom of my wool socks and then get into my dry suit. I also wear sandals on the outside.
                I think I'll try the warmer packet in the feet next time between a thin layer of sock and a wool sock. I guess I never did that before because I didn't know if it would get too warm or uncomfortable, and being in a drysuit on the water, access to the feet area wouldn't be very easy if I had to adjust or remove them. But it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem and you can go all day with them.

Interesting use of the dash visor too. I've heard of using it for the opposite use while fishing. Wrap your cooler with it on a hot day to keep the cooler colder longer.

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                Last season someone here advised me not to put the neoprene socks over the dry suit feet but to put them on over my wool socks. It isnt a cure all but my feet went from "man, I really hope I can stand when I get back to the launch" to "man, my toes are cold". But at least I could actually feel my toes.
                You know, as I thought about it longer. I think leaving the neoprene sock on over my drysuit footy may actually being making the situation worse? The neoprene sock will often get wet whether its from launching, waves, or just from being out on the water in general. Once wet, they stay wet, and is likely causing my foot to cool quicker; especially on cold nights. I think I'd be better off taking the neoprene socks off once I'm in the kayak and no longer need them to walk around in as I launch. The risk for puncturing the drysuit footies will be much less then.

I'm also a paddler, so I need to remember to wiggle my feet around more often to keep the warm blood flowing.

Thanks for the advise all.
                Brian

Comment

And catching fish always seems to keep me warm. Maybe I need to catch bigger fish to send that warmth all the way down to the toes !
                  Brian

Comment

I have a dry suit without footies . I just picked up a pair of waterproof but breathable socks and a pair of neoprene booties. I tried them out yesterday and feet were warm. Might need hand or foot warmers when it gets colder.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                      And catching fish always seems to keep me warm. Maybe I need to catch bigger fish to send that warmth all the way down to the toes !
                      LOL! Amazing how catching a fish miraculously makes everything better. From eliminating hunger, to overcoming drowsiness, to warming you up on a winter day, and even silencing the call to nature! [emoji41]
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I've definitely found my feet stay warmer if I don't get my neoprene boots wet. I've even had it where having stepped in the water with one and not the other, the one foot would be an ice block and the other definitely warmer.

Lately I've been researching and experimenting with foods that can keep you warmer in the cold. I've always felt like sometime I would be warmer while out in really cold temps than others. It got me thinking about what kind of fuel to put in my furnace if I know I'm going to out. So far high protein and high fat foods (in my non scientific study) seem to keep my body and toes warmer.(bacon and bacon fat seem to work really well- sorry if you're someone who doesn't eat pork) There are also a few spices like ginger and cumin which supposedly also have positive warming effects after you eat them...maybe I need to research on this some more. Anyone else experience the impact of what you eat on body warmth?
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                          I've definitely found my feet stay warmer if I don't get my neoprene boots wet. I've even had it where having stepped in the water with one and not the other, the one foot would be an ice block and the other definitely warmer.

Lately I've been researching and experimenting with foods that can keep you warmer in the cold. I've always felt like sometime I would be warmer while out in really cold temps than others. It got me thinking about what kind of fuel to put in my furnace if I know I'm going to out. So far high protein and high fat foods (in my non scientific study) seem to keep my body and toes warmer.(bacon and bacon fat seem to work really well- sorry if you're someone who doesn't eat pork) There are also a few spices like ginger and cumin which supposedly also have positive warming effects after you eat them...maybe I need to research on this some more. Anyone else experience the impact of what you eat on body warmth?
                          Actually yes! I did a lot research on TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) many years ago and found that food have very distinct characteristics/properties. Most foods are cold but many herbs, roots and spices are warm. Out of some of the meats beef is considered cold, pork and chicken are neutral and lamb is warm. I've always felt that I have more energy and vitality after eating lamb. Give lamb a try, you may find better results than bacon.
                          -Mustafa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I raised a similar question a few years ago among the other Native Pro Staff team members. One guide recommended that I try Thermacell rechargeable heated insoles. I ordered a pair but when I realized they would be ruined by water contact, I returned them unused. If you are confident that you can keep your feet dry, this may be an option for you. The newer models allow some adjustment of the heat output.

https://heat.thermacell.com/
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                              That's really what I'm thinking my main problem has been. Gonna ditch the neoprene socks next time once I launch.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              I raised a similar question a few years ago among the other Native Pro Staff team members. One guide recommended that I try Thermacell rechargeable heated insoles. I ordered a pair but when I realized they would be ruined by water contact, I returned them unused. If you are confident that you can keep your feet dry, this may be an option for you. The newer models allow some adjustment of the heat output.

https://heat.thermacell.com/
                              That certainly is the modern solution to the problem. Too much high tech wizardry going on for way too much money for this cheapskate fisherman though. And for as rough as I am on gear, I'd undoubtedly ruin something like that in no time.

Thanks for sharing with the group though.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X