No announcement yet.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry, Stu, and Mark, thanks for showing us how to tie up so hooks, jigs, and flies!
    Had a great time today!

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      Harry, Stu, and Mark, thanks for showing us how to tie up so hooks, jigs, and flies!
      Had a great time today!
      I'm glad, everyone seemed to have a good time

Comment

Thanks to Harry for organizing this event and to Mark and Stu for giving lessons. I have never tied a fly or added bucktail to a lure before. Stu handed my his bobbin and a deer tail and told me to make a bucktail (with his close supervision). My bucktail appearance might fool a fish, but would never pass muster by an experienced tier. I'm sure it gets easier with repetition, but I will leave tying to those who enjoy it and are good at it. Thanks to Harlan for the photo.

fly tying.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
          I'm glad, everyone seemed to have a good time
          Sorry I missed it. I'll have to try catching up with you another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It was fun indeed. I had a wonderful time.

Thanks to Harry for organizing and to all who showed up and were excellent, attentive students.

Like this young fellow who asked me to make a wooly bugger:

Bass pro 1A.jpg

And here's Harry showing his ample fly tying skills:

Bass Pro 2A.jpg

(Sorry...I cannot turn the photo...)

It was a great way to spend a cold, rainy morning.

The above photos are courtesy of Harlan. His next assignment is to catch a striper with the white and pink bucktail jig in the vise that I tied for him. It will work. I promise!
            Last edited by Mark; 01-14-2017, 02:48 PM.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Agreed, it was very informative and good to put some faces to names. Thanks guys for taking your time on a Saturday to do this.

A personal thanks to Harry for the patience and the time today in teaching me to tie my first fly. I can see this becoming (another) obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Thanks to Harry for organizing this event and to Mark and Stu for giving lessons. I have never tied a fly or added bucktail to a lure before. Stu handed my his bobbin and a deer tail and told me to make a bucktail (with his close supervision). My bucktail appearance might fool a fish, but would never pass muster by an experienced tier. I'm sure it gets easier with repetition, but I will leave tying to those who enjoy it and are good at it. Thanks to Harlan for the photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20780[/ATTACH]
                The fish is the least important part of fishing.
                So it is not what the fish thinks, but what the lure maker thinks in regards to whether a lure looks "pretty."
                Pretty lures catch more fishermen than they do fish.

Sometimes it's the making that is the most satisfying part of the equation. Something I tried to impress upon my students.

I just wanted to thank those who turned out on a nasty, raw day, (you real hard core guys would probably just go out and fish), and it was good to reconnect with some truly nice people.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                  Had a great time today!
                  What a great event. Mark, thanks for taking the time to educate me about the Clauser Mouse (Minnow)! I'm resolved to use my fly rod this year and from the kayak no doubt! John, thanks again for the reel. It is a great thing to be able to soak up practical and local knowledge from guys like you, Mark, Harry and Stu. This was my second event and I can honestly say that it is never a waste of my time. The institutional knowledge that you guys possess alone is worth having any length of conversation with you. Only bad thing is I believe my wife is going to ban me from Bass Pro even though I only spent $200 bucks today! Gotta keep the little lady happy though so how about next time let's have it at a Cabela's?

Gregory
                  Gregory
                  ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                  2014 Pro Angler 12
                  '

Comment

Stu,
                    Nice meeting you this morning, enjoyed our little chat. Am looking to pick up some of your famous spinners next Sat.
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Tied these up today and yesterday.

Comment

You have learned well, Grasshopper.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Those look familiar. I've seen them somewhere before.
                          Very nice!
                          Dang, there goes some sales Saturday!

Comment

Absolute blast!!
                            Harlan

Revo 13
                            Trident 13
                            Cuda 14
                            Necky Tandem

Comment

Working...
                            X