Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Shimano NASCI or the Daiwa BG SW?

I love my 2500 BG, it's held up well over a full season of use. Most of my fishing is in the upper bay, but I have used it in both the lower shore of the Chesapeake and the coastal bays a few times. It went completely under one time, but I rinse all of my reels thoroughly after every trip. Overall, I'm very impressed, and it still looks like it just came out of the box.
    Joe

2016 Vibe Sea Ghost 130

Yeah the anodized finish really holds up. I put it to the test for the Jamaica bay tournament. Landed lots of blues with it, and around here I've pulled in a fair amount of 20-29" rockfish as well. I am going to try and replace the plastic bushing in the line roller with a ball bearing, that's my only complaint. It's def the best reel at it's price point, for saltwater, available in the size classes we kayakers use the most.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For the kayak I'd say Daiwa BG or Penn Battle all day at that price point. I don't have any battle 2s because my battle 1s are still going and I still have a few sargus reels going strong. I have had stradics over the years and they have approximately 10000 more parts than Penn.
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers Co-Founder - www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com
    Hobie Local Kayak Fishing Team - Backyard Boats, MD

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm settled on the BG now.

I think you've made a great choice but make sure to check Alan's website about the differences between the normal BG and the JDM subpar BG. I think the handle is the giveaway, and apparently the internals are different. It's under his "what reel 2017"

Yes, I saw that already. Export version (the one you want) has a solid screw in handle. The Japanese Domestic Market one has the cheaper hex shaft handle that has the screw in cap on the other end to secure it.

You got it. I'm sure you're really going to like it. It's a sharp looking reel too. Alan predicted this is going to pressure Shimano and Penn to really step up their 80-120$ reels. So we will all benefit

Loving the BG’s. I have five Bg’s, basically I replaced all my penn ss’s. I have two for the canal/boat and the rest for the yak. Really smooth reels that are easy to work on and are essentially tanks. Reminds me of the Penn Z series with a beefier drag, lighter, and better line capacity and for the price, you can buy two of them for what you pay for most reels. Also, considerably better build than the equal price point Tsunami Shield, which I also have. Although, I would say, you need to grease up the BG when you get it, the Shield is pretty much a forget-about-it Reel, with all its seals. But the Shield gets a number of line twists, which can be frustrating. If you want a sealed reel in a bigger size, the Saragaso SW has been awesome. I’ve really abused it this year and still spins like butter.
    Last edited by summersoff; 10-25-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

I have two Shimano Sustains and two Shimano Stradics..two 3000 and two 2500...high quality reels with premium components- used them for several years of hard usage- lots of fish, lots of casting, reeling...ask anyone who has ever fished with me- I use my tackle to its potential...can’t say anything but good things about my reels- excellant light tackle equipment..I never think about it- I just use it...and I rinse with fresh water after my fishing trips..I have opened the oil ports and put in a drop or two of the oil that comes in the box...that is the extent of my maintenance...I plan on sending the reels in for a factory authorized full service center late this winter, but they are in perfect working order and smooth as a baby’s butt...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by summersoff View Post
    Although, I would say, you need to grease up the BG when you get it
    Good to know. Reels I've purchased in the past have had that issue as well. You would think coming straight out of the box you wouldn't have to crack the reel open right away.