Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with the Shimano NASCI or the Daiwa BG SW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with the Shimano NASCI or the Daiwa BG SW?

I'm looking for people that have used/continue to use either one of these new reel models, particularly in the 3000 size. I've narrowed my reel choice to these 2, mostly based on the scattered reviews I've found, and the in depth review that Alan Hawk gave the BG SW. Now my other 2 shimanos (sahara and baitrunner) have held up very well in the 7-8 years I've had them, and I know I should've had them serviced much more than I have, so I imagine the NASCI would as well. I contacted Alan and he basically said that the Daiwa is superior to the NASCI in almost every way, in terms of bearings, overall construction, drag, etc. but the NASCI does have superior sealing inside, not waterproof like the spheros or something, but better than the daiwa. So he said, it's really a toss up since I'm mostly going to be fishing in saltwater anyway, and both reels are obviously marketed as saltwater friendly. And I would be primarily using it to troll lighter jigs and plastics (up to 1 oz at most, but usually 1/4-1/2), and cast and jig (I troll probably 95% of the time, but that'll change as fish move deeper in this cold weather/water). So any insight from anglers on kayaks like me, from this site, would be very helpful. Thanks everyone. Also for what it's worth, I did put the NASCI on a Christmas list a few weeks ago, which my family requested from me, but I obviously told them it's too expensive for 1 person's gift and I don't expect it unless it's from a few people going in on it. So I might not have to make the decision, but I'm not holding my breath on receiving it. Again, thanks everyone.

Put the Sustain FG on the list then settle for the Stradic...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah I've never heard anything bad about stradics, but according to his website, even they're rated slightly lower than the bg sw, I think mainly because the daiwa uses the same gears as are found in the Stella and the Saltiga. Eventually I would like to get a stradic, but I think I'm trying to cap myself at $100 price point for my next small reel.

Comment

I have an old Daiwa BG that has held up well over the years, but I don't have any experience with the new one. I was actually looking into one to use in the surf this spring. If you're willing to go a little higher on the price, I highly recommend the Daiwa Procyon EX. I have the 2500 model and could not be happier with it, as it is the smoothest reel I've ever owned. It also has the benefit of a completely waterproof body and drag system. The Daiwa reels tend to run a little on the larger side, so I think you'd be fine with the 2500, but the 3000 would work too. I'm looking to add a couple more to my collection this winter. Amazon has them in the $110-$115 range right now, which is $35-$40 less than the tackle shops.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I'm very interested in the Daiwa BG after reading Alan Hawk's review. That guy knows his stuff. I plan on getting one to surf fish a little next year. I'd say both reels would probably be fine if you're just doing some light saltwater work. Shimanos in general don't like saltwater though so I've stopped using them on my yak in the salt completely and switched to Penn SSVs and Squalls. My reels are getting lots of saltwater splash from surf launches and landings so I'd say its not typical usage though. I still might bust out a stradic for flounder fishing in bays and calm water.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Tsunami shield may be what you are looking for. Time will tell if it's as good as the hype.

Comment

Yakscientist: In the for what its worth category... I don't have experience with the the Nasci but I do love Shimano...I started kayak fishing 2 years ago with my Dads 10 year old Shimano Stradic reel that had a fair amount of use on it in the bay (always rinsed after use). I really enjoyed it and it led me to purchase 2 more new. A 1000 and a 3000. I returned the Stradic FJ to him after I had it serviced for 35.00. Oiled and with a new bearing. It felt as smooth as my new reels. Made me think I should look for older clean Stradic FJ's and get them serviced. This season my 1000 landed 2 - 20" rocks casting for perch on 6# mono. The drag ran out flawlessly! Stradic's seem to hold value very well. Which is one reason I believe that spending twice as much on a reel is a good investment, Shimano or Diawa. I plan on using these "upper tier" reels for 5 - 6 years, so 200.00 for a high quality reel is a good investment for me. I feel there is a market to sell a well taken care of reel for 80.00 dollars or so at that point and upgrade. With either reel I think you will have a good rig.
              Last edited by WOOD YAK; 12-02-2016, 12:54 AM.
              WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                I'm very interested in the Daiwa BG after reading Alan Hawk's review. That guy knows his stuff. I plan on getting one to surf fish a little next year. I'd say both reels would probably be fine if you're just doing some light saltwater work. Shimanos in general don't like saltwater though so I've stopped using them on my yak in the salt completely and switched to Penn SSVs and Squalls. My reels are getting lots of saltwater splash from surf launches and landings so I'd say its not typical usage though. I still might bust out a stradic for flounder fishing in bays and calm water.
                I'm curious if you ever ended up getting a BG and if so, how is it holding up? My Penn 430ssg is starting to get to the point that it needs to be replaced. And much like you, my reels get a good dose of splash from ocean water and areas of the lower bay with higher salinity levels.
                Brian

Comment

I love my 2500 bg. I bet the 4500 would be equally as good but daiwa sizes run large so def look into it. Check out Alan hawks website and shoot him an email through the contact form. Include what kind of use the reel would get, target species, budget, etc and he will give you the best advice on what reel to get. He's probably the best guy on the planet to ask about spinners. Another great reel is the Shimano spheros but it's at least 75$ more expensive I believe. Stay away from Penn. Overpriced, and the bearings, gearing, or sealing is always inferior to what they claim. At least in the past 5 years or so.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with Alan's site and have a fair amount of experience with Penn spinners already. The Penn 430ssg I've been using is actually a pretty small reel, so I'd be replacing it with a BG 2500 size most likely. I'm pretty sure I want to eventually pickup a BG based on reviews, but I was wondering how they hold up in the long run to harsh saltwater treatment? I'm not the best at taking it easy on my equipment. Have you used and gotten it wet much in waters other then the upper Chesapeake area?
                    Brian

Comment

I love my 2500 BG, it's held up well over a full season of use. Most of my fishing is in the upper bay, but I have used it in both the lower shore of the Chesapeake and the coastal bays a few times. It went completely under one time, but I rinse all of my reels thoroughly after every trip. Overall, I'm very impressed, and it still looks like it just came out of the box.
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Yeah the anodized finish really holds up. I put it to the test for the Jamaica bay tournament. Landed lots of blues with it, and around here I've pulled in a fair amount of 20-29" rockfish as well. I am going to try and replace the plastic bushing in the line roller with a ball bearing, that's my only complaint. It's def the best reel at it's price point, for saltwater, available in the size classes we kayakers use the most.

Comment

For the kayak I'd say Daiwa BG or Penn Battle all day at that price point. I don't have any battle 2s because my battle 1s are still going and I still have a few sargus reels going strong. I have had stradics over the years and they have approximately 10000 more parts than Penn.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm settled on the BG now.
                            Brian

Comment

I think you've made a great choice but make sure to check Alan's website about the differences between the normal BG and the JDM subpar BG. I think the handle is the giveaway, and apparently the internals are different. It's under his "what reel 2017"

Comment

Working...
                              X