Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with the Shimano NASCI or the Daiwa BG SW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I saw that already. Export version (the one you want) has a solid screw in handle. The Japanese Domestic Market one has the cheaper hex shaft handle that has the screw in cap on the other end to secure it.
    Brian

Comment

You got it. I'm sure you're really going to like it. It's a sharp looking reel too. Alan predicted this is going to pressure Shimano and Penn to really step up their 80-120$ reels. So we will all benefit

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Loving the BG’s. I have five Bg’s, basically I replaced all my penn ss’s. I have two for the canal/boat and the rest for the yak. Really smooth reels that are easy to work on and are essentially tanks. Reminds me of the Penn Z series with a beefier drag, lighter, and better line capacity and for the price, you can buy two of them for what you pay for most reels. Also, considerably better build than the equal price point Tsunami Shield, which I also have. Although, I would say, you need to grease up the BG when you get it, the Shield is pretty much a forget-about-it Reel, with all its seals. But the Shield gets a number of line twists, which can be frustrating. If you want a sealed reel in a bigger size, the Saragaso SW has been awesome. I’ve really abused it this year and still spins like butter.
        Last edited by summersoff; 10-25-2017, 06:10 AM.
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I have two Shimano Sustains and two Shimano Stradics..two 3000 and two 2500...high quality reels with premium components- used them for several years of hard usage- lots of fish, lots of casting, reeling...ask anyone who has ever fished with me- I use my tackle to its potential...can’t say anything but good things about my reels- excellant light tackle equipment..I never think about it- I just use it...and I rinse with fresh water after my fishing trips..I have opened the oil ports and put in a drop or two of the oil that comes in the box...that is the extent of my maintenance...I plan on sending the reels in for a factory authorized full service center late this winter, but they are in perfect working order and smooth as a baby’s butt...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
            Although, I would say, you need to grease up the BG when you get it
            Good to know. Reels I've purchased in the past have had that issue as well. You would think coming straight out of the box you wouldn't have to crack the reel open right away.
            Brian

Comment

I haven't tried a BG yet, but I do have a Nasci and a bunch of different Penn Models. The Nasci is newer and has seen lighter use on the kayak mostly, but I've been pleased with it. The chief complaint I've heard from others about it is that it is a graphite body which can flex under load with a large fish - not an issue I've encountered yet, but I've seen this with other Shimanos. I've heard no complaints about breakage or other issues, and I've used mine for light surf duty where it's taken some splashing and dunking. Other reels I own have not held up well to this, but the Nasci has so far. And it's still smooth as the day it came out of the box. That said, I fully plan on replacing my Penn Battle IIs with either Daiwa BGs soon. Those reels have seen heavy use in the surf for several years and have yet to make it through a season without a complete teardown and rebuild for some component or another. The quality is just not there for my use. I keep giving Penn second chances and they've yet to satisfy me, at this point, I'm done with them. I also have a new-ish Slammer 3 and an SSV both have been ok so far, but I'm not loving either. Good luck finding something you like that holds up, it's been very difficult for me.

Comment

I bet for heavy dunking and surf use, you'd be good going for a Shimano spheros sw, saragosa SW, or a quantum Cabo. They're all 150-300$ but I hear it's worth it, according to AH anyway.

Comment

Right, when I bought my Slammer 3, the reel I was considering it against was the Spheros but I couldn't find one to test, so I bought the slammer. A year later I regret it somewhat. It's a comparable price range but if you read AH's most recent review, he's not impressed and although I haven't had need to tear mine down yet, I agree. Lesson learned.

Comment

I killed two SSVs last fall surf launching on the kayak. This year I went with a Shimano Spheros 5000 and it is a BEAST. It is a solid, heavy reel with a smooth drag and impressive cranking power. I was using it last week to snag big adult bunker a mile offshore and caught a 30ish lb bass on it. The only downside I see to this reel is its weight- I wouldn't want to lug this thing around on a surf rod all day but on the yak where I'm doing a lot of trolling with the rod in the holder it doesn't really matter. The Penn SSVs and for that matter my old model Spheros 5000FB were garbage compared to this thing.
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by creight57 View Post
                      I keep giving Penn second chances and they've yet to satisfy me, at this point, I'm done with them. I also have a new-ish Slammer 3 and an SSV both have been ok so far, but I'm not loving either. Good luck finding something you like that holds up, it's been very difficult for me.
                      I really like my older Penn reels. I have 3 750ssm spinners I use in the surf and the Penn 430ssg I need to replace (it's just really old and starting to show it's age from abuse and not worth putting parts into, but I still like it). But I'm with you, I've given Penn too many second chances and their newer reels I've tried are junk so I'm switching brands. I've destroyed a Fierce back in the day and destroyed a Battle I. I still have and use a SSV that is a functional, but I'm not a fan of it anymore and I've basically had to replace most of the internal parts already only after 2 years of ownership. Junky! Penn is going to have to work on their budget reels to win we back.

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                      I killed two SSVs last fall surf launching on the kayak. This year I went with a Shimano Spheros 5000 and it is a BEAST. It is a solid, heavy reel with a smooth drag and impressive cranking power. I was using it last week to snag big adult bunker a mile offshore and caught a 30ish lb bass on it. The only downside I see to this reel is its weight- I wouldn't want to lug this thing around on a surf rod all day but on the yak where I'm doing a lot of trolling with the rod in the holder it doesn't really matter. The Penn SSVs and for that matter my old model Spheros 5000FB were garbage compared to this thing.
                      Watched the video on your channel. Nice fish, especially your buddies! I'm jealous. Every year I want to do the same thing in the MD surf but the bunker and fish are hardly showing anymore down here in the fall. It's sad.
                      Brian

Comment

^^^
                        To replace those 750ss, I would go with the 5000BG. I know it sounds small, but it has plenty of drag (20+) and line capacity (40/350+). I used it on the canal and it easily handled 30#ers. The 6500 will throw farther, but it’s big, and it gets tiring quick (brothers has them for sails). Also, I hate to say it, look on Ebay, I was able to pick them up for over $20 less (export versions, non JDM).
                        Last edited by summersoff; 10-28-2017, 06:33 AM.
                        Jay

10' Green Slayer
                        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

^^^
                          To replace those 750ss, I would go with the 5000BG. I know it sounds small, but it has plenty of drag (20+) and line capacity (40/350+). I used it on the canal and it easily handled 30#ers. The 6500 will throw farther, but it’s big, and it gets tiring quick (brothers has them for sails). Also, I hate to say it, look on Ebay, I was able to pick them up for over $20 less (export versions, non JDM).
                          Does the 5000 get tiring for things like constant casting, or surf fishing? That seems like the perfect size if I was looking to get a third surf reel setup. I have a baitrunner 4500b that I love, but it's so heavy.

Comment

^^^^
                            I use a 4000 for the 9’ plugging 20# line from surf/jetty, could go 30# if need be. Could work for a 10’ 1-3oz. The 5000 is for the 11’ big pencils, or jigging stick, but perfect size for bait, but there are better bait reels (like your baitrunner). It’s over 20 oz, so it’s heavy for plugging beach all day, but then again, I used to use a 706 all day plugging, so it would be fine.
                            Btw, IMO 5000 is too big for the yak, the 4000 could handle any big stripers from the yak
                            Last edited by summersoff; 10-29-2017, 05:29 AM.
                            Jay

10' Green Slayer
                            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

^^^
                              Actually, the 750ssm's are tanks that have held up excellent. I love them and wish Penn's newer reels were build with the same quality as these ones were.

I think I worded that confusingly in my post you are referencing.
                              Brian

Comment

Big fish on light tackle puts a lot of strain on tiny parts...even the best of the best is still mechanical...wear, tear, lack of maintenance, dunking in highly corrosive wetness...all add up...the more you use your reels and rods, the more wear there is...since I retired a year ago, my tackle has much more use...like triple the use before I retired...not unusual for me to fish multiple times a week now that was an impossibility the year before...and I do not expect miracles...I hope to get several years of use out of my reels before they have to be completely rebuilt or replaced...depending on costs...my newest Shimano is two years old...and it has seen a lot of fish, lot of handle turns, lots of casting...I figure it will one day need replacing...my oldest Stradic is four years old...and it is perfect...or as perfect as any reel can be- smooth, great drag, casts like a dream...but I don’t horse fish with a reel...I use the rod to land fish and mostly reel when the fish lets up its fight keeping a tight line- in my opinion (opinions are like ears, everyone has at least one) the quality of the rod is the more important than the reel
                                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                                X