Mid-upper Severn 11/30/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-upper Severn 11/30/16

I've been itching to catch another keeper rockfish in the river before the season's end and boy did this morning pay off.

For the past couple of weeks I haven't had any luck at all, no matter where I went. I've been trolling huge rigs (tandem 2oz+4oz rigs on medium heavy trolling rods) lately because that's what has been working for me, up until my dry spell. I decided to go back to where it all began, this year, and throw my 3/4oz and 1oz rat-l-traps back on my light and medium spinning rods.

Launched out of my normal community beach at around 6:45am into a very thick fog, a light drizzle and no wind at all. The tide had just started to flow out of the river as I dropped my lines.

I trolled for about 25 minutes against the tide before I got my first hook up. I could tell the fish wasn't too big at the first sound of the drag being taken. I get it on the board and it measures out to be 16". I was extatic that I wouldn't be heading home with a big fat skunk.

I throw the lines back in and almost right as I started paddling again, my 1ouncer gets hit and takes drag like a big boy. This guy is fighting the entire way in, as I'm reeling with an ear to ear smile. He measures out to be 23 1/4" but has sores all over him. After the quick pic, I throw him back into the drink.

I trolled for next 30-40 minutes, still against the tide, heading north and started catching little guys one after the other. All ranging from 10"-17".

My day was made and I could go home knowing I did what I came out here to do. So I turn and head for home... trolling of coarse. About half way back to my launch, going with the out going tide, I get another nice hook up on my shallower 3/4oz rat-l-trap. I get him top side and turns out to be another keeper at 21 1/4".

This guy had a few sores on him as well. I didn't want to take a chance on any diseases so after his quick pic, he gets the boot too.

All in all, I got home by 9:00am and had another spectacular outing to look back on before hanging it up for the season.

Til next year my friends. Happy holidays and tight lines!!
    Last edited by supfisher01; 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM.

Congratulations. You had a good outing. I was farther down on the Severn this morning. The fog was very thick at spots. I had planned to troll as I moved around between pickerel fishing in different creeks. There were so many oak leaves on the water that I quickly gave up on the trolling. The pickerel fishing was lousy today as it has been on several recent trips.

20161130_082613.jpg20161130_095419.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20509[/ATTACH]
      Reminds me of Stephen King's "Into the Mist"
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Congratulations. You had a good outing. I was farther down on the Severn this morning. The fog was very thick at spots. I had planned to troll as I moved around between pickerel fishing in different creeks. There were so many oak leaves on the water that I quickly gave up on the trolling. The pickerel fishing was lousy today as it has been on several recent trips.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20509[/ATTACH]
        Thanks, John! I was on the fence about even going this morning because the fog was so thick but glad I did. For the first time in a while the leaves weren't a problem for me up here.

I agree with the pickerel bite. Around this time of year it's normally a guarantee that you hook up to a few of them. Besides the couple of pickerel I caught earlier this month, I've gotten skunked on them every other time I tried. But, again, that's fishing for ya.

Comment

Steve,
          Glad you got into them this morning. Only a couple of weeks left this year.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
            Steve,
            Glad you got into them this morning. Only a couple of weeks left this year.
            Thanks, John! If it weren't for my shoulder starting to act up, I'd give it hell all the way til the 20th. It's been an issue for a couple of months now and I just don't want to irritate it anymore than nessasary. Who knows, maybe it'll feel better for one more trip.

Comment

Nice work! I was really hoping to get out there before Smith closed for the season, but i call today and the ramp is closed
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Nice work! I was really hoping to get out there before Smith closed for the season, but i call today and the ramp is closed
                Thank you!
                Yeah, they're such a small marina that once they start pulling boats for the season, they just don't have any room for parking.

Comment

This may be dumb, but shouldn't we keep the ones with sores? Maybe it would help keep the disease from spreading. If we were lions, natural selection would have us prey on the sick gazelles right?

[emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/news/...e-risk-anglers

jhov02, I understand what you're getting at but I just didn't want to risk it. Here is an article about a possible disease. Though rare to contract by handling and even more rare to contract by properly cooked consumption, the risk is still there and I just didn't want to take a chance with either. My lures, fish grips, and dehooking pliers were the only things to touch the fish which I then wiped down with alcohol wipes. Since I was wearing my wetsuit boots, I wasn't too worried about it on my board but everything got its proper cleaning once I got home.
                    Last edited by supfisher01; 12-05-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X