Seats/Comfort: Outback vs. PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seats/Comfort: Outback vs. PA

I've been talking about getting a new yak for about 2 years now, and I'm finally ready to do it. Questions for those who have experience with both PA and Outback:

-I'm a bigger guy (about 6'4" 230lbs) and am worried about comfort levels. How does the seat on the Outback compare to the PA? Can I put a PA seat on an Outback without too much work?

-What is the main advantage for the PA? I know it's larger and more stable...but if I'm not planning on standing to fish and don't need tons of storage, what other benefits does PA offer?

I realize I'll probably get a bunch of varied opinions, but I'm interested in and grateful for any advice that can be provided.

Thanks in advance,

John

My experience is in the PA. I'm a bigger guy weight wise than you. I greatly appreciate the elevated seat position for entry and exit and the full adjustability of the seat. What i really like is the stability of the PA. You give up speed for the extra beam but you will quickly learn to love how solid the yak is. Like you, I'm also a minimalist and I store almost all my tackle besides the seat or under it leaving the cockpit wide open. The downside of that stability is weight. I trailer my yak, which makes Anne Arundal pretty much off limits to me. One problem I've seen with the new Outback is lines catching on the rudder and they are very difficult to get off. I've helped Yak67 multiple times get his line off the rudder of his Outback. He also looks like a bear on a tricycle in the Outback compared to his PA. I'm sure he'll give you a thorough analysis of both.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I owned a PA -14 and Have a PA-12 and Outback now. For your size and weight the PA-14 is the way to go. Great room and comfort. I sold my PA-14 to a guy who was about your size. Stability wise it's great, no issues with roll-over.
      Room to land fish and do multiple task. You tend to clutter them up too much because of all the room, I am trying to be a "Minimalist" Like Big Mike, I am not close but I have gotten better
      The Outback is on the line comfortable for me, I am 5'11" 2++ ish. Some days I feel like the bear riding the tricycle at the circus. I did roll the Outback over this year in calm water on a clear day
      The PA-12 is great room and very stable, but It does not feel as stable at the PA-14. I trailer the PA-12 and Car-top the Outback when needed. If you are looking at doing mostly Saltwater fishing and "Big" water areas, the PA-14 is the way to go.
      Please PM if you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer.
      Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

The seat itself will not be an issue for either boat mentioned, but given your size I would go with the PA. The majority of people I hear about or see rolling an Outback are heavier, thus making it much easier to tip over. I'm a small person, 5'8 160lbs, and I have only flipped my Outback in extreme circumstances such as beaching in rough waves. Never have I felt unstable in calm to moderately rough water out on the bay. You're going to be limited on transportation options with a PA, hopefully you own a truck, but in my opinion you'll regret buying an Outback. I have also spent time in a PA-14 and Revo 13, but given my size the PA-14 felt like a battleship and the Revo was less versatile. The Outback is my do-it-all boat, I have a feeling the PA-12 would be yours, but if you have a truck and are fairly fit maybe the PA-14 would be a better choice. Go test them all out like I did and decide for yourself.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I'll comment on the seat question since I have both a PA 12 and a 2015 Outback. I'm fairly certain you can't put a PA seat in an Outback. For 2-3 hours of fishing I find the seat in the Outback acceptable but for all day comfort the PA seat is far superior. I feel like I squirm a bit in the Outback seat and the PA seat just feels more solid and more comfortable. The arm rests on the PA seat add a level of comfort as well. Before Thanksgiving I weighed in around 200lbs. Good luck with your purchase.

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          I owned a PA -14 and Have a PA-12 and Outback now. For your size and weight the PA-14 is the way to go. Great room and comfort. I sold my PA-14 to a guy who was about your size. Stability wise it's great, no issues with roll-over.
          Room to land fish and do multiple task. You tend to clutter them up too much because of all the room, I am trying to be a "Minimalist" Like Big Mike, I am not close but I have gotten better
          The Outback is on the line comfortable for me, I am 5'11" 2++ ish. Some days I feel like the bear riding the tricycle at the circus. I did roll the Outback over this year in calm water on a clear day
          The PA-12 is great room and very stable, but It does not feel as stable at the PA-14. I trailer the PA-12 and Car-top the Outback when needed. If you are looking at doing mostly Saltwater fishing and "Big" water areas, the PA-14 is the way to go.
          Please PM if you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer.
          Yak67
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
          2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I have both & am a big guy. I do not think the PA seat can fit on the outback without a good bit of work.
            I am more comfortable in the PA 14 & fish & crab from both, but I prefer the PA.

I like the seat of the PA 14 much more & can use it day in & day out with no discomfort.
            The only downside to the PA is it is a bit heavier than an outback & as I get older loading & unloading becomes more difficult. I fish the back bays of Ocean city & have not flipped in either, but have been more stable in the PA. If greater than 2 ' waves are not in your future, & stability is not a concern, & you like the outback I'd likely stay with what you have.

I prefer the PA for it's stability, storage, I stand to crab & often to fish as well.
            I think the benefits for most of us to a PA do not apply to you.
            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
              The seat itself will not be an issue for either boat mentioned, but given your size I would go with the PA. The majority of people I hear about or see rolling an Outback are heavier, thus making it much easier to tip over. I'm a small person, 5'8 160lbs, and I have only flipped my Outback in extreme circumstances such as beaching in rough waves. Never have I felt unstable in calm to moderately rough water out on the bay. You're going to be limited on transportation options with a PA, hopefully you own a truck, but in my opinion you'll regret buying an Outback. I have also spent time in a PA-14 and Revo 13, but given my size the PA-14 felt like a battleship and the Revo was less versatile. The Outback is my do-it-all boat, I have a feeling the PA-12 would be yours, but if you have a truck and are fairly fit maybe the PA-14 would be a better choice. Go test them all out like I did and decide for yourself.
              I am a big guy- 6' and 260#...rolled my Outback once lunging for a redfish- my fault...never had an issue with seaworthiness and I have fished in waters I should not have...when it is too rough for an Outback, it is too rough for a kayak- period...as far as comfort, the 2015 Vantage seat has set a new standard for Outbacks...I fished for years out of my 2010 Outback and it was OK but not "comfortable" for an all-day fishing trip...I love my Outbacks- there is no such thing as a "perfect" fishing kayak...but the SUV of fishing kayaks is without a doubt the Hobie Outback...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X