Lower Magothy 11/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Magothy 11/25

Fished the incoming tide at the mouth of the Magothy this afternoon. Got out there around 1. Water was really calm with little current to speak of. After not seeing action I ventured out into the bay heading north. First fish was approximately 24-25inches caught on a 1.5 oz bucktail with twister in 17 feet of water. To be accurate I didnt land the fish. Threw the hook as I was reaching for its lips. That's the third lost fish in as many trips. Decided to tighten the drag a bit for better hooksets. Seemed to do the trick.

After the lost fish I landed a 24 and three 20s next to the red channel markers at the mouth as I was entering the river. Water depth was around 15 ft. This was different from previous trips as there were no fish inside the mouth on the incoming. They remained just outside, even with the incoming tide. Called it quits after 2 hours of trolling. Of note, I seemed to have more luck keeping my speed closer to 2.3-2.5mph. Anytime I got around 3 or 3.2mph I didnt get action. And I didnt see any birds working, but I did see an occasional fish break the surface. Fish are in the fridge so maybe Ill get some pictures up in the a.m. Tight lines fellas.

Nice report! Glad you had a better day than I did (I posted my report of woe haha). We were fishing around the same time, but I was up in the Patapsco. Things have really died down up here. I need to make the trek down to the Magothy to get closer to the Bay proper, I think.
    2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
      Fished the incoming tide at the mouth of the Magothy this afternoon. Got out there around 1. Water was really calm with little current to speak of. After not seeing action I ventured out into the bay heading north. First fish was approximately 24-25inches caught on a 1.5 oz bucktail with twister in 17 feet of water. To be accurate I didnt land the fish. Threw the hook as I was reaching for its lips. That's the third lost fish in as many trips. Decided to tighten the drag a bit for better hooksets. Seemed to do the trick.

After the lost fish I landed a 24 and three 20s next to the red channel markers at the mouth as I was entering the river. Water depth was around 15 ft. This was different from previous trips as there were no fish inside the mouth on the incoming. They remained just outside, even with the incoming tide. Called it quits after 2 hours of trolling. Of note, I seemed to have more luck keeping my speed closer to 2.3-2.5mph. Anytime I got around 3 or 3.2mph I didnt get action. And I didnt see any birds working, but I did see an occasional fish break the surface. Fish are in the fridge so maybe Ill get some pictures up in the a.m. Tight lines fellas.
      Thanks for the update. I am hoping to get out there sometime today. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. I may venture closer to the bridge though.

gdm
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
        Nice report! Glad you had a better day than I did (I posted my report of woe haha). We were fishing around the same time, but I was up in the Patapsco. Things have really died down up here. I need to make the trek down to the Magothy to get closer to the Bay proper, I think.
        I've been seeing fewer marks outside of the Magothy. I'll probably start venturing toward the channel to hit deeper water as the season progresses. Sorry to hear the Patapsco hasn't been producing! What lures were you using?

Comment

I was using an XRap (old trusty, I call it) on one side, and a white bucktail with a white twisty tail on a Captain John rig (small umbrella-like spoons - If you ever go to the fishing expos around town, you've seen him selling them) on the other. I switched to a windcheater for a while, but no luck there either.

There is a deep (50-60') shipping channel in the Patapsco that runs under the Key Bridge, but it's on the other side near the old Bethlehem Steel plant, and much too far from where I usually launch for me to get to in the kayak.
          2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
          X