New to kayak fishing - first purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to kayak fishing - first purchase

Just retired planning on getting into kayak fishing for the first time - fished most of my life kayak will be new adventure. First question - Sit On of Sit In ? Age 67 250 lbs some old back issues - need to consider. Looking at black Fri sales at Cabela's - Emotion Stealth 11 Angler $300 sit on or maybe an Old town vapor angler sit in - price range $500 not on sale. Anyway planning on Delaware ponds for starters. Thinking of trolling motor set up in the future - have seen some nice looking set ups on line. Suggestions , recommendations ?

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

I own both kinds of kayaks.

I use the Sit-Inside in calm water (Eastern Shore ponds and tidal creeks, for example) and I use the Sit-on-Top in larger waters. Each is ideally suited to my specific preferences depending on which kinds of waters I fish.

Perhaps the question you should give more thought to especially given your mention of "old back issues" is the weight of your kayak. A heavy boat can be difficult to transport on land and at the launch site and is less apt to be used in the long run.

A double hulled Sit-on-Top kayak is usually heavier than a similarly sized Sit-Inside kayak.

Whatever you choose, make sure its bulk weight does not exceed your ability to comfortably maneuver it on land.

Otherwise you may never realize the full enjoyment that kayak fishing can offer.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sit on top is the way to go. If just doing ponds a wilderness commander might be perfect.

Comment

I'd recommend checking dealers to see what they have that you can try. You need to feel comfortable & be able to load & unload it by yourself. Any kayay that is uncomfortable will not get used. I've had very good experiences with Delaware paddle sports & tried what I thought I wanted before my purchase and have had no regrets. I've had good luck with the staff there & they are very knowledgable & extremely helpful.
        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

+1 on the most important factor is the ability to load and unload.

Comment

Sit on top, mostly because if you ever turtle, you can turn them back over and then climb on. A sit in must be pumped out and then it is difficult to re-enter without filling them with water again. A lot of the ponds in DE have stumps and cypress knees just a little under the water that can cause you to potentially roll. Also consider the total weight capacity the yak will carry. It is very easy to approach 50+ lbs. of gear with tackle, crates, cooler, fish finder, etc. Add that with your weight and you may be close to capacity on a short boat. If you feel that you can lift 35-45 lbs waist high (truck bed) or chest high (car top), then you will be fine a longer kayak. You only have to lift half of the boat at one time, front first then the back. Then let a cart do the rest.

Comment

Plus one recommendation on sit on top- lots of used kayaks to choose from- hard to beat a used Tarpon 120 for value and versatility- or an Ocean Prowler 13- no matter which you get now you will eventually upgrade if you stick with kayak fishing
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm 68 6'4" 226, coming from my first fishing kayak being a sit in and having a back I have to watch here's my take. Getting into and out of a sit in kayak is a lot more difficult then a sit on top. I kept mine one season before I sold it and got an sot. Now for weight sure I was able to dead lift my 55lb sit in, with my 13.5' 79lb sot I can't so I have to use a little more ingenuity. Like lifting the bow up on a roller on my tail hatch and using my legs to roll/slide it up on the racks and the reverse for taking it off. I use mostly my arms and legs to do the work.

Comment

J.Barnes,
                  Do you have a pickup truck?

Joe
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

You have already received a lot of useful advice. Here is list of criteria I use when I give kayak fishing seminars. Each buyer will have certain of these criteria that are weighted more heavily than others. For me, the 4th, 5th, and 6th bullets are extremely important. Like you I am a large person in my 60s. Features that used to be very important have taken a back seat to weight, ease of handling on land (both at home and at the launch point), and seating comfort.

• style of kayak (most choose sit on top)
                    • type of propulsion (most use paddles but pedal drives are popular too [more $$]; some even add electric motors)
                    • how and where do you plan to use it ( free flowing rivers, quiet ponds or lakes, or in open tidal areas)
                    • how do you plan to store it (garage, basement, outdoors on ground or rack)
                    • how do you plan to transport it (roof racks (foam pads, cross bars, to elaborate kayak mounts), bed of pick up (consider hitch extender), slide inside minivan or large SUV, trailer; consider weight of kayak)
                    • comfort level in seating position (wide range of seating comfort – time to reach “butt fatigue”)
                    • is the seating area mostly dry or frequently wet (design; drainage via scupper holes)
                    • fixed seat in molded seating well vs. elevated seat with multiple positions
                    • suitability for standing
                    • stability (tendency to tip; primary vs. secondary stability)
                    • how does it move in the water (tracks straight vs. easy pivoting; some have rudders)
                    • speed through the water (shorter and wider kayaks tend to be slower)
                    • amount of storage (built-in, ease of adding storage accessories, gear tracks)
                    • where do you put your feet (pegs, larger supports, notches in floor)
                    • weight capacity (need to consider your body weight plus all gear)
                    • ease of attaching/removing accessories on each trip (amount of time spent setting up and breaking down on each trip
                    • interest in a particular brand or model because your friend has that kayak
                    • cost.

The last bullet is always important. Each of us has our own comfort range for the cost of a kayak. Buying a low-end kayak seems like an inexpensive way to get started. But often you need to add in the cost of a paddle, seat, and other basic accessories. Generally for the same cost as a new store-brand kayak you can find a used name brand kayak that already has accessories added in. For example, there is currently a used Jackson kayak for sale on the Tackle Shop forum. It comes well rigged and is at a good price for a name brand boat.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will consider all and appreciate the input. List of criteria by J.Veil is a good reference. I have a Jeep Compass SUV with a roof rack for transport. Loading/unloading will be a big consideration for lifting ability. As far as cost my real driver is holding $580 of Cabela's gift cards right now, so have to look at their offerings first of course.

Comment

If gift cards were not in play someone is selling a bass pro brand sit on top for $250 in the tackle shop forum. If you don't like it in a year you could probably sell it for close to that...

Good luck

Vince

Comment

I bought a FeelFree Lure 11.5 this past summer and load it on top of my Jeep Liberty. The Lure is about 60# without the seat when I load it. While not identical, you should be able to get an idea of how you'll want to transport. If the lifting still looks like too much for you, consider a trailer. That'll add to the overall cost though.

Here's a YouTube video of how I do it:

Comment

Originally posted by Nikon View Post
                            I bought a FeelFree Lure 11.5 this past summer and load it on top of my Jeep Liberty. The Lure is about 60# without the seat when I load it. While not identical, you should be able to get an idea of how you'll want to transport. If the lifting still looks like too much for you, consider a trailer. That'll add to the overall cost though.

That second strap is important insurance in case the first strap loosens (for whatever reason )

Comment

Originally posted by Nikon View Post

I have a Chevy Tracker I put mine on, I use straps bow to rack and stern to rack to prevent my yak from sliding forward forward or backwards. This is the roller I use for aiding in loading my yak http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/suvroller.php

Comment

Working...
                              X