Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: CHSP Togs & Conger Eel (Nov 18, 2016)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chantilly, VA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default CHSP Togs & Conger Eel (Nov 18, 2016)

    Tog: 4 keepers @15, 16, 16 and 20 inches out of 12. Kept 3.
    Conger Eel: 4 caught. One is over 50 inches
    Toadfish: 5 large ones
    Water temp was 54 F. One more weekend left for tautog at the Inner Wall. Though This was my last trip to CHSP in 2016.

    Fishing log:


    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Nice Joe!

    You asked for a big fish and you got a 50" eel! LOL
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    2,836

    Default

    Looks like you found cooperative togs at CHSP; they certainly weren't at CBBT on Fri/Sat.

    (BTW, when I catch one of those eels, I'd certainly try it on the table)
    Last edited by tufnik; 11-19-2016 at 11:51 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chantilly, VA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tufnik View Post
    Looks like you found cooperative togs at CHSP; they certainly weren't at CBBT on Fri/Sat.

    (BTW, when I catch one of those eels, I'd certainly try it on the table)
    I guess I made a right call. One of the reasons I didn't go to CBBT is my aching body, shoulder blade especially. I haven't been fully recovered from the last few CBBT trips. This old body couldn't take togs, black drum, puppy drum, conger eel and the rig with a 4-6 OZ sinker. My hip socket was still aching sue to all day pedalling. So I picked the CHSP Inner wall to take a rest while fishing.
    I also brought a 5 LB dumbbell anchor. I anchored where I felt tog bites so I didn't have to pedal. I anchored three time during the mid-low-mid tide. All three produced. My shoulder blade still hurts because of the 4 conger eels landed.

    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chantilly, VA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    My notes after fishing:
    • I always assumed that there were big togs even though I kept catching small ones. This was correct this time.
    • I learned to anchor at the Inner Wall. This made me work extra hard to find a few right holes because I weren't planning to pedal all over the place.
    • The holes produced last time may not be the sweet holes this time, the new holes are a few feet away from the old holes. Try to find the holes of the day.
    • The stomachs of two togs were completely empty.
    • I found 4 (my) shrimp in the stomach of one of the togs. This tog got hooked when he wanted to eat the fifth shrimp (her last meal).
    • I couldn't pull 6 rigs because togs went back into the narrow holes.
    • I missed many bites about 20. So there were many keeper size togs I couldn't hook.
    • I left one hole after 20" tog and 4 conger eel. Otherwise I probably caught more conger eel.
    • Togging during the mid-low-mid at the Inner Wall. This is because it is easy to figure out the bottom tructures 10-20' away from the wall. So pick the fishing day wisely according to the tide.



    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chantilly, VA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
    Nice Joe!

    You asked for a big fish and you got a 50" eel! LOL
    Now that proves that Santa is real and I've been a good boy.

    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Fun video, seems like those fish were in just a few feet of water?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    Now that proves that Santa is real and I've been a good boy.

    Joe
    LOL! Yes it sure does!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    2,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    I guess I made a right call. One of the reasons I didn't go to CBBT is my aching body, shoulder blade especially. I haven't been fully recovered from the last few CBBT trips. This old body couldn't take togs, black drum, puppy drum, conger eel and the rig with a 4-6 OZ sinker. My hip socket was still aching sue to all day pedalling. So I picked the CHSP Inner wall to take a rest while fishing.
    I also brought a 5 LB dumbbell anchor. I anchored where I felt tog bites so I didn't have to pedal. I anchored three time during the mid-low-mid tide. All three produced. My shoulder blade still hurts because of the 4 conger eels landed.

    Joe
    Agree, fishing CBBT can be tough. As you saw on my last CBBT report (18-19 Nov), I didn't fish the outgoing. I wanted slack tide, but had to fish the outgoing first. The outgoing was moving pretty briskly, and my leg muscles were already beginning to tighten up (didn't have a chance to fully recover from Friday's CBBT trip). I was afraid of not having good legs to bring me in against the current and impending wind/waves. Also, my right elbow was already hurting from all that rod holding. That's why I went in early.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chantilly, VA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianisoutside View Post
    Fun video, seems like those fish were in just a few feet of water?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Togs can be caught in 3'- 50' of water. The deeper, the harder to catch tog. In the shallow water, it is easier to re-locate the hole you just had a bite or hooked a tog. In the shallow water it is easier to me to find the holes that may hold fish. In the shallow water, a hole that is 2' - 4' deep from the surrounding structures can be rather easily located by feeling the depth of the sinker. I was in 3' - 10' of water that day. But my holes were 6'-12' deep from the surface. For togging, it's the depth of the hole relative to the surrounding structures, not the depth of the water.

    Once the surface/top water temp drops to 52 F, I move to the deeper water where the temp of the bottom (20'-50' deep) is warmer than the top water.

    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-20-2016 at 06:40 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •