CHSP Togs & Conger Eel (Nov 18, 2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Togs & Conger Eel (Nov 18, 2016)

Tog: 4 keepers @15, 16, 16 and 20 inches out of 12. Kept 3.
    Conger Eel: 4 caught. One is over 50 inches
    Toadfish: 5 large ones
    Water temp was 54 F. One more weekend left for tautog at the Inner Wall. Though This was my last trip to CHSP in 2016.

Fishing log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice Joe!

You asked for a big fish and you got a 50" eel! LOL
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Looks like you found cooperative togs at CHSP; they certainly weren't at CBBT on Fri/Sat.

(BTW, when I catch one of those eels, I'd certainly try it on the table)
      Last edited by tufnik; 11-19-2016, 10:51 PM.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        Looks like you found cooperative togs at CHSP; they certainly weren't at CBBT on Fri/Sat.

(BTW, when I catch one of those eels, I'd certainly try it on the table)
        I guess I made a right call. One of the reasons I didn't go to CBBT is my aching body, shoulder blade especially. I haven't been fully recovered from the last few CBBT trips. This old body couldn't take togs, black drum, puppy drum, conger eel and the rig with a 4-6 OZ sinker. My hip socket was still aching sue to all day pedalling. So I picked the CHSP Inner wall to take a rest while fishing.
        I also brought a 5 LB dumbbell anchor. I anchored where I felt tog bites so I didn't have to pedal. I anchored three time during the mid-low-mid tide. All three produced. My shoulder blade still hurts because of the 4 conger eels landed.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

My notes after fishing:
          • I always assumed that there were big togs even though I kept catching small ones. This was correct this time.
          • I learned to anchor at the Inner Wall. This made me work extra hard to find a few right holes because I weren't planning to pedal all over the place.
          • The holes produced last time may not be the sweet holes this time, the new holes are a few feet away from the old holes. Try to find the holes of the day.
          • The stomachs of two togs were completely empty.
          • I found 4 (my) shrimp in the stomach of one of the togs. This tog got hooked when he wanted to eat the fifth shrimp (her last meal).
          • I couldn't pull 6 rigs because togs went back into the narrow holes.
          • I missed many bites about 20. So there were many keeper size togs I couldn't hook.
          • I left one hole after 20" tog and 4 conger eel. Otherwise I probably caught more conger eel.
          • Togging during the mid-low-mid at the Inner Wall. This is because it is easy to figure out the bottom tructures 10-20' away from the wall. So pick the fishing day wisely according to the tide.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-20-2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
            Nice Joe!

You asked for a big fish and you got a 50" eel! LOL
            Now that proves that Santa is real and I've been a good boy.

Joe

Comment

Fun video, seems like those fish were in just a few feet of water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                Now that proves that Santa is real and I've been a good boy.

Joe
                LOL! Yes it sure does!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I guess I made a right call. One of the reasons I didn't go to CBBT is my aching body, shoulder blade especially. I haven't been fully recovered from the last few CBBT trips. This old body couldn't take togs, black drum, puppy drum, conger eel and the rig with a 4-6 OZ sinker. My hip socket was still aching sue to all day pedalling. So I picked the CHSP Inner wall to take a rest while fishing.
                  I also brought a 5 LB dumbbell anchor. I anchored where I felt tog bites so I didn't have to pedal. I anchored three time during the mid-low-mid tide. All three produced. My shoulder blade still hurts because of the 4 conger eels landed.

Joe
                  Agree, fishing CBBT can be tough. As you saw on my last CBBT report (18-19 Nov), I didn't fish the outgoing. I wanted slack tide, but had to fish the outgoing first. The outgoing was moving pretty briskly, and my leg muscles were already beginning to tighten up (didn't have a chance to fully recover from Friday's CBBT trip). I was afraid of not having good legs to bring me in against the current and impending wind/waves. Also, my right elbow was already hurting from all that rod holding. That's why I went in early.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                    Fun video, seems like those fish were in just a few feet of water?

Togs can be caught in 3'- 50' of water. The deeper, the harder to catch tog. In the shallow water, it is easier to re-locate the hole you just had a bite or hooked a tog. In the shallow water it is easier to me to find the holes that may hold fish. In the shallow water, a hole that is 2' - 4' deep from the surrounding structures can be rather easily located by feeling the depth of the sinker. I was in 3' - 10' of water that day. But my holes were 6'-12' deep from the surface. For togging, it's the depth of the hole relative to the surrounding structures, not the depth of the water.

Once the surface/top water temp drops to 52 F, I move to the deeper water where the temp of the bottom (20'-50' deep) is warmer than the top water.

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-20-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Good to know, I've never fished for tog

Comment

Thanks for the information. I really want to fish for tog there. There is a chance I might fish there this weekend, if not I will definitely do it next year.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                          Thanks for the information. I really want to fish for tog there. There is a chance I might fish there this weekend, if not I will definitely do it next year.
                          The water temp is 50 F today in the morning (Nov 26th). Today will be my last possible catching day at the Inner Wall this year if I can fish.

Joe

Comment

[QUOTE=ComeOnFish;137866]The water temp is 50 F today in the morning (Nov 26th). Today will be my last possible catching day at the Inner Wall this year if I can fish.

How did you do Joe? I didn't make it down to chsp this week end. I might be able to go next weekend. Do the togs stop biting when the water temp gets below 50?

Comment

[QUOTE=mike o;137906]
                              The water temp is 50 F today in the morning (Nov 26th). Today will be my last possible catching day at the Inner Wall this year if I can fish.

How did you do Joe? I didn't make it down to chsp this week end. I might be able to go next weekend. Do the togs stop biting when the water temp gets below 50?
                              I couldn't go fishing. I went to Rudee on the following Monday 2 days later.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X