• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JG launching @1:30 wed 11/16

Come join me if you can.

Originally posted by whenican View Post
    Come join me if you can.
    Hopefully you do better than I did this morning up river a few miles from there. Caught 3 fish total with one being a very skinny 20" on the nose and 2 dinks. I set the 20" free to be caught another day. Good luck and be safe!

Comment

I experienced a variety of weather changes during my journey. I got there during a slight breeze & the water was, hence, calm. Whilst unloading a few dark clouds appeared & drizzled cold drops upon me. As I launched ,of course, the chop increased as the breeze turned into wind. Before I could pass the billions of water-suspended deciduous leaves, I got my 1st knockdown. At first I thought it was a branch or leaves causing my rod to twitch but because I was too slow to check it out I lost the fish. Rule #1: always pay attention to your rods as soon as the bait hits the water. I went north into the nw chop.....a big zip to show for it. Now I returned to the JG area the winds had changed coming from the northeast now, then west....still zip! With an hr & half left of daylight I boogied south of the 450 bridge. The Navy kept firing up their big diesels so I tried to progress south w/o getting in their way. This time there were 5 ships moving around. Eff! Where is a lone kayakfisherman to go? I crossed the channel safely when I saw birds on the horizon. Despite my prayers for them to keep diving & circling towards me, they kept up my pace going away from me...much further out than before. Bummer, then as I continued closer they vanished. I trolled around in the nearest part of the bay w/a few other boats but to no avail. Then whilst heading back as it was getting dark, I rounded the corner to the Navy ship backing off the wall. Since it backed well into the channel I continued north along the wall. Then a huge wham! My rod was going nuts!! I could barely get it out of the rodholder. When I did the fish took drag & then some. Then it changed directions. I tightened the drag but the fight was on! The fish went left, then it right, up, then down & then under my kayak then back & now under again. Does it think it can get free? After that thought......yes, it was free! Whilst preventing it from getting all tangled up with my other lines out, a bit of slack had developed and the beast had set itself free. Bummed, I looked to my right just as the Navy ship was passing me w/ all the sailors watching my battle with the swimming monster & several landlubbers on my left side watching me try to reel in the swimmer as well. Just like the Redskins have lost several games in the past..... It was all over in an instant. Oh, well, next time! The rest of my return to the launch was uneventful even though the wind had changed directions but I had only seen a couple raindrops, dark clouds surrounding me, though. Just as I got halfway back to the launch I noticed I was moving at a pretty good clip. The water was now calm & no wind was blowing at all! Atleast, I got a lil pullage but nothing to show for it in the end except for some outdoor exercise! I cannot just fish when the tide is best or the weather is perfect or when the bite is on....I just get out on the water & enjoy the challenge to catch fish....when I can!

Comment

Too bad you were unable to land the big fish. It is those disappointing but exhilarating moments that keep up coming back for more. It is good to hear of large fish still in the Severn at this time.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sounds like a nice day on the water. Pardon my ignorance, but what is JG?
          Gregory
          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
          2014 Pro Angler 12
          '

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
            Sounds like a nice day on the water. Pardon my ignorance, but what is JG?
            "Jonas Green Park" in Annapolis that many people use to launch their paddle power vessel which enters you on the Severn river at the east end of the route 450 bridge.

Comment

Great to hear you hooked one! I went out today at College Creek in pursuit of pickerel with no luck. It was difficult to keep the lures leaf free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              J

Comment

Working...
              X