Thread: Anna Maria Island

Default Anna Maria Island

I had a chance to go and explore Anna Maria Island in Florida and took my kayak. I managed to catch a lot of lady fish and spanish mackerals. Here is a video clip of the lady fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5Maeja_3g

photo_2016-11-14_21-37-27.jpg photo_2016-11-14_21-37-50.jpg

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui

Ladyfish are fun. They're very strong swimmers and they go airborne when you catch them by casting flies or conventional tackle. I've never caught one trolling. They swim in large schools. When you locate them, the action can be frantic.

Nice job on your catches.

It's good to the see the Maryland colors flying in Florida.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ladyfish are fun. They're very strong swimmers and they go airborne when you catch them by casting flies or conventional tackle. I've never caught one trolling. They swim in large schools. When you locate them, the action can be frantic.

Nice job on your catches.

It's good to the see the Maryland colors flying in Florida.
    I caught these all livelining greenbacks. It's was awesome there. The weather was great and hardly any winds. I think it got up to 78 degrees and the wind was maybe 4mph at most.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui

Did you see any evidence of red tide there? I had heard that the mouth of Tampa Bay had been affected.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

I went there a couple of summers ago and had a great time. Beautiful water and weather. My fishing was pretty much a fail there. I can see how a Hobie would help tremendously in trolling. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    Did you see any evidence of red tide there? I had heard that the mouth of Tampa Bay had been affected.
    I saw one floater the whole time I was out there. It looked pretty clean. From what I was told it was further south of Tampa.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui