Stingy Smithville Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stingy Smithville Lake

John Rentch and I launched into Smithville lake this morning at 10:00 a.m.

I had last fished there many years ago so it was almost like a new spot for me and I believe it was John's first time there.

The first thing apparent is that it is a very kayak-friendly place to fish. There is a boat ramp but this little peninsula is even better than the ramp:

P1020302.jpg

Parking is close by and a cart is optional since you can drive to the water's edge to unload and load.

Although it's called a lake it's really a classic Eastern Shore mill pond at slightly over 40 acres. Here's John working a shoreline:

P1020306.jpg

There is plenty of structure to target:

P1020311.jpg

And much of the pond was covered with the residue of warm weather vegetation:

P1020308.jpg P1020304.jpg

I imagine it was choked up with growth in the summer.

Now the bad news...the bite was very slow.

I caught 3 little bass like this guy:

P1020307.jpg

You can see this bass hit a Mr. Twister on a 1/8 oz. jig. I got two others on a Clouser Minnow.

And I did get what I came for, a pickerel:

P1020313.jpg

I also got it on a fly, the same Clouser Minnow that tricked the little bass. I was using an 8 wt. rod with intermediate line.

Unfortunately, that was the only pickerel I boated. I stuck another one but didn't have it on my line for long. That's a little disappointing for 3 hours of fishing.

There were two other kayak anglers on the pond with us but there was plenty of water for each of us.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Congrats on your catches! Looks like a nice day on the water.

I went out this morning in the Severn mainly targeting pickerel and trolled for rockfish on the way to all of my hot spot shorelines. I limited out on rockfish but skunked on the pickerel.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
      Congrats on your catches! Looks like a nice day on the water.

I went out this morning in the Severn mainly targeting pickerel and trolled for rockfish on the way to all of my hot spot shorelines. I limited out on rockfish but skunked on the pickerel.
      That's still a pretty good day.

I'm curious to hear about your pickerel successes in the future. Keep us posted.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        That's still a pretty good day.

I'm curious to hear about your pickerel successes in the future. Keep us posted.
        Yes, I'm definitely not complaining and I will keep you updated with the pickerel bite. My last pickerel catch was last Thursday in the upper upper Severn, north of the narrows.

Comment

You're good!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks, Mark, but I think the roostertail I was using is even better.

Comment

This is one from earlier in the spring from Smithville lake – it was a surprise while fishing for crappy light line trout magnet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Harlan

Revo 13
              Trident 13
              Cuda 14
              Necky Tandem

Comment

This was my first visit to Smithville Lake- a long thin Cyprus lake. After the launch, both Mark & I went to the upper end which was littered with leaf cover making retreving difficult, so we turned around and started to the mouth(Dam end). As Mark mentioned there were two other Kayakers there- this one stood for most of the afternoon

001.jpg, 002.jpg

My day at Smithville was a bust, had just one hit in three hours. Since this is freshwater, not sure if I was giving the correct presentation. Was using a 1/8 jig with a chartruese gulp and a spinner that has been effective for me in our creeks off the Severn. Did get a couple of nice shots of Mark and his Pickerel. Got to try this place again.

003.jpg 004.jpg
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Glad you guys had a good day!
                  Harry

Comment

John,

Thanks for the photos.

You're right. We need to try it again in the spring to see if we can duplicate Harlan's good fortune.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Hopefully it is not pouring in the morning. Going to try some pickerel off the Severn.

Comment

Working...
                      X