Catching too many fish? CBBT - Nov 13, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching too many fish? CBBT - Nov 13, 2016

It's my rough estimate: Mustafa and I caught about 8 Tautog @14-18”, 25+ puppy drum @16-20” and 25+ black drum @13-21”

After a few pilings without a bite, we found a few good pilings and caught fish.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice job!

Comment

It was an awesome day, the winds were calm and the temperature was comfortable. Our goal was tog, but they weren't there in the numbers we were hoping for.

The funny thing though was that Black drum was a new species for me that I was so excited to catch in the morning. But we kept catching them so often that after a few hours or so, I never wanted to see another black drum again! LOL
      Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 11-14-2016, 09:02 PM.
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good job. I was going this past Fri/Sat, but it was too windy. Sun forecast was good, but I couldn't make it. I hope the wx is good this coming weekend.

How many keeper togs and PDs did you catch?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Good job. I was going this past Fri/Sat, but it was too windy. Sun forecast was good, but I couldn't make it. I hope the wx is good this coming weekend.

How many keeper togs and PDs did you catch?
          Some togs were close to 16". We had 2 keeper togs at 16" and 18". We had 5 keeper puppy drum @ 18-20",

I think 2 good size togs got off. I could tell BD, PD and Tog from each other because of their bite and fighting patterns.

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Looks like a good day of catching very nice guys
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Thanks everyone!
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice catching! How much shrimp do you go through out there with that kind of action?
                J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                  Nice catching! How much shrimp do you go through out there with that kind of action?
                  I started off with about 40 (1.5#) and had 3 left but went in a bit earlier. Joe had more and stayed about an hour later, he'll chime in.
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                    I started off with about 40 (1.5#) and had 3 left but went in a bit earlier. Joe had more and stayed about an hour later, he'll chime in.
                    Holy moly that's a buffet!
                    J

Comment

LOL! Indeed! [emoji4]
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Nice work! I can't remember every hearing of so many puppy black drum being caught at the CBBT especially this late in the year. A good sign for the future. Curious why you guys didn't keep any of the black drum. I've been told that at that size they're better eating then red drum...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                          Nice work! I can't remember every hearing of so many puppy black drum being caught at the CBBT especially this late in the year. A good sign for the future. Curious why you guys didn't keep any of the black drum. I've been told that at that size they're better eating then red drum...
                          You know my rule, if it has scales, I'm eating it! LOL

We actually did keep one each, which is the limit. I haven't eaten it yet, but will report back when I do.
                          -Mustafa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                            I used about 70 shrimp, about 2.1 LB. I hand pick them, small ones from the 50-60 counts head-on shrimp bed. It cost about $10 - 13 depending on the sale price ($4.49 - 5.99/LB). From now on I will bring less shrimp, 50, 40, 30, 30 until mid December. I will bring 15 toward the end of December. Only 10 for beginning of the January.

One bad thing about the shrimp is catching too many trash fish often.

Joe

Comment

I forgot to mention this. When I cleaned the fish, I found that the stomachs of all fish, both tog and puppy drum, were completely empty. I am trying to figure out why the stomachs were empty. Certainly fish were in eating mood when they attacked my baits. The water temp wasn't the reason why the fish didn't/couldn't eat I think. Two possibilities, No baits around the pilings or the fish hadn't been in mood to eat for a while until they saw our baits. I hope there were baits. Otherwise fish will move to some other place. I am wondering if fish eat a few times a day like us.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X