Spur of the moment launch @ Jonas Green now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spur of the moment launch @ Jonas Green now

...water & wind is calm w/ incoming tide. Come join me if u can.

Originally posted by whenican View Post
    ...water & wind is calm w/ incoming tide. Come join me if u can.
    How was the bite?

Comment

I worked hard to find the fish.... Launching around 1:30, first between the 2 bridges, then south. The Navy must've been in training because they moved their ships as if practicing docking & spooking my fish just as it started to turn on. Deciding I'd rather have a strong Navy, I crossed back to the JG side of the river. Then after several millionaires or billionaires came & gone from the river I ventured back towards the NA. As I went towards water I caught fish last year I noticed the water looking familiar. Then, out of nowhere birds appeared. I thought they were following me(& an Alfred Hitchcock film came to mind), but then splashing & diving & gulls fighting over pieces of bunker corpse. Then cormorants out the ying yang popped up from under the water & dived back in, the gulls tried to follow them or chase the bait as they came to the surface. Stripers would slam the surface bait & I would cast outside the birds &/or keep on trolling nearby. Instantly, I was surrounded by spookmasters & a big sailboat running on engine power. My rods were bending, then as fast as it was on... It turned off.?The spookmasters departed noisily & then I got busy again catching & releasing a half-dz 19.5"ers & some 18s & 19s. Then the flocks of birds were back..... & so were my bent rods again. I lost some heavy pullers trying to get my camera out so I bagged that. I tried to follow the ever moving birds & I did toss a topwater lure a few times, getting just 1 bodyslam. My other rods kept getting hit so I stuck w/ those rods. Peeps from shore jogging past watched reel in a couple fish including my 22" keeper. It shrunk a1/2" by the time I returned to the launch just before sundown. I got nothing while trolling back to the launch. I cannot wait to get home to eat this fish!

Comment

Nice! Congrats on your keeper and action filled day on the river.

Comment

That was good production for that area. Nice job.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
            I worked hard to find the fish.... Launching around 1:30, first between the 2 bridges, then south. The Navy must've been in training because they moved their ships as if practicing docking & spooking my fish just as it started to turn on. Deciding I'd rather have a strong Navy, I crossed back to the JG side of the river. Then after several millionaires or billionaires came & gone from the river I ventured back towards the NA. As I went towards water I caught fish last year I noticed the water looking familiar. Then, out of nowhere birds appeared. I thought they were following me(& an Alfred Hitchcock film came to mind), but then splashing & diving & gulls fighting over pieces of bunker corpse. Then cormorants out the ying yang popped up from under the water & dived back in, the gulls tried to follow them or chase the bait as they came to the surface. Stripers would slam the surface bait & I would cast outside the birds &/or keep on trolling nearby. Instantly, I was surrounded by spookmasters & a big sailboat running on engine power. My rods were bending, then as fast as it was on... It turned off.?The spookmasters departed noisily & then I got busy again catching & releasing a half-dz 19.5"ers & some 18s & 19s. Then the flocks of birds were back..... & so were my bent rods again. I lost some heavy pullers trying to get my camera out so I bagged that. I tried to follow the ever moving birds & I did toss a topwater lure a few times, getting just 1 bodyslam. My other rods kept getting hit so I stuck w/ those rods. Peeps from shore jogging past watched reel in a couple fish including my 22" keeper. It shrunk a1/2" by the time I returned to the launch just before sundown. I got nothing while trolling back to the launch. I cannot wait to get home to eat this fish!
            Did look beautiful today when I went over the bridge great report... Love Reading the adventures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Harlan

Revo 13
            Trident 13
            Cuda 14
            Necky Tandem

Comment

Ditto that about " Love Reading the adventures". Thanks for the report.

Comment

The fish did not cooperate this morning out of Jonas Green. I trolled upstream past the Rt 50 bridge and had no bites along the channel edge or in the shallows. I did find two mid-teens stripers at the mouth of one of the creeks. I also checked out three different creeks/coves for pickerel. The water level was low, which reduced pickerel habitat. I had no pickerel bites at all. In some parts of the creeks, floating leaves made retrieving my lure difficult.

The day was pretty, but the fishing was slow.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  The fish did not cooperate this morning out of Jonas Green. I trolled upstream past the Rt 50 bridge and had no bites along the channel edge or in the shallows. I did find two mid-teens stripers at the mouth of one of the creeks. I also checked out three different creeks/coves for pickerel. The water level was low, which reduced pickerel habitat. I had no pickerel bites at all. In some parts of the creeks, floating leaves made retrieving my lure difficult.

The day was pretty, but the fishing was slow.
                  Hey, John and anyone else who would ever like to join, just message me on here. I'm still producing nice fish in the areas that I've chased the bite to. I got out a little late this morning (8:30am) but still caught 9 rockfish with one being a keeper at 24 1/4"
                  and 2 small pickerel at 13" and 13 1/2".

Comment

Nice work Steve.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Nice work Steve.
                      Thanks, John. If you would've trolled up stream a little farther you would've seen me.
                      Nice work Steve.

Comment

Working...
                      X