December Meet and Greet - Dec 10 - Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    c) Unlike recent years in Nov and Dec, the pickerel bite in the tidal creeks and ponds near Jonas Green has been quite poor over the past few weeks. In past years, there was a reasonable expectation of catching one or more pickerel by all participants. Given my own experience this week (fished in two creeks on Mon and three others on Wed without getting a single bite) and reports I have received from others, pickerel are tough to find right now. I plan to do more pre-fishing next week to see if I can locate the pickerel.
    Can anybody comment on the striper bite lately? Or have people not been targeting them in this section of the river? Put me down for lunch at least John, and I will be fishing somewhere that day, but I may launch further up the Severn, or on the Magothy, depending on where I would have better chances at catching a keeper or 2. I'm just trying to maximize my chances to get a few more fillets in my freezer before the season ends Dec 20.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      Can anybody comment on the striper bite lately? Or have people not been targeting them in this section of the river? Put me down for lunch at least John, and I will be fishing somewhere that day, but I may launch further up the Severn, or on the Magothy, depending on where I would have better chances at catching a keeper or 2. I'm just trying to maximize my chances to get a few more fillets in my freezer before the season ends Dec 20.
      I have not fished for stripers in the lower section and mouth of the Severn for more than a month. I have not seen many reports of others fishing there either. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I have attempted to troll in the middle section of the Severn as I moved from one creek to another for pickerel fishing. Sadly, the large amount of leaves has made that a fruitless exercise. I caught no fish but many leaves. One option for striper fishing at this time is to jig over the debris piles such as the old Rt 450 bridge and the old railroad bridge. I have not tried that method this year, but have caught stripers to 27” in December on previous years. There may be white perch hanging on some of the deeper areas with oyster shell bottom.

I will add you to the list for lunch. Please verify if you plan to fish, particularly if you will launch at Jonas Green.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hi Folks,
        I just got my drysuit; this will be the maiden voyage for it! Please put me down for fishing and lunch. If Jonas Green is filled up, I can launch at Tucker St., no prob. Gary
        Gary G

13' Hobie Revolution

Comment

due to cold conditions I am going to withdraw my name from the launch list at JG so please let someone else take my place.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
            due to cold conditions I am going to withdraw my name from the launch list at JG so please let someone else take my place.
            Thanks for letting me know.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              I have not fished for stripers in the lower section and mouth of the Severn for more than a month. I have not seen many reports of others fishing there either. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I have attempted to troll in the middle section of the Severn as I moved from one creek to another for pickerel fishing. Sadly, the large amount of leaves has made that a fruitless exercise. I caught no fish but many leaves. One option for striper fishing at this time is to jig over the debris piles such as the old Rt 450 bridge and the old railroad bridge. I have not tried that method this year, but have caught stripers to 27” in December on previous years. There may be white perch hanging on some of the deeper areas with oyster shell bottom.

I will add you to the list for lunch. Please verify if you plan to fish, particularly if you will launch at Jonas Green.
              Thanks, and I will let you know if I intend to fish from Jonas Green, but as of now, certainly don't count me in for that. I hesitate because of my somewhat recent success farther north in the Severn, and I did just get a drysuit, so I certainly intend to go, I'm just not sure where yet. John, and anyone else reading this, please keep us posted with any other fishing reports from the river in the days leading to the M&G, it'll aid in my decision. Thank you.

Comment

I'm in for fishing but Not lunch. I'll launch from Tucker street or Taunton park. Never did Taunton though.
                John
                Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

I am out of the running. I got a hook snagged in the pad of my pointer finger a day or so ago and it got a little infected. Right now it is impossible to make a reasonable cast with a spinning rod and I don't think it is going to heal enough by Saturday morning.

I hope everyone has fun and the picks come out to play.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                    I am out of the running. I got a hook snagged in the pad of my pointer finger a day or so ago and it got a little infected. Right now it is impossible to make a reasonable cast with a spinning rod and I don't think it is going to heal enough by Saturday morning.

I hope everyone has fun and the picks come out to play.
                    Drew-Sorry about your injury. I hope you feel better soon.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Thanks. It was a very dumb accident trying to retrieve a lure from a tree. I am just happy it ripped free and didn't leave me stuck to the tree as well.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Count in me in for lunch only - Pending baby sitter for my pup.
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Due to the cold weather, please remove me from both fishing and lunch. Catch you guys in the spring.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vhendrix View Post
                            Due to the cold weather, please remove me from both fishing and lunch. Catch you guys in the spring.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
                            I understand and will remove your name from the list. We will make a final call on Thurs evening on whether to cancel the meet and greet due to cold and windy conditions.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Can we just have the M&G at the Basspro in Arundel Mills, and fish in their tanks? It's the safest possible route, and fishing pressure shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Comment

Hey John,
                                I must cancel due to a kidney stone that's stuck in the tube & causing me not to venture far from the throne.
                                I hope to fish with everyone in 2017.

Comment

Working...
                                X