December Meet and Greet - Dec 10 - Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December Meet and Greet - Dec 10 - Jonas Green

Here is the initial announcement for the December Meet & Greet.

When: Saturday, Dec 10, 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Your co-hosts: John Veil (J.A. Veil), Mark Bange (Mark), and John Rentch (J. Rentch)

Where: Our primary launch site is Jonas Green Park located underneath the Rt. 450 Bridge that crosses the Severn River near the Naval Academy. There are at least three other public access points to the Severn River near Annapolis:
    1) Tucker St. ramp in west Annapolis that leads into Weems Creek
    2) Truxton Park that leads into Spa Creek
    3) Back Creek Water Park that leads into Back Creek.

Note that trailers may not be parked at Jonas Green or Tucker St. launch points. The Back Creek Water Park has a very small parking area and no formal launch ramp. There is an inclined ramp covered with plastic plates for sliding a kayak into the water but no access for a trailer to that ramp.

If you are planning to participate and launch from any site other than Jonas Green please let Mark, John, or me know by stating your plans on this thread.

John, Mark, and/or I will be at Jonas Green at 7:00 a.m. to greet you and share our insights on where to fish.

What fish can you expect? Stripers may be present in the deeper waters and channel edges of the Severn for trolling with paddletails, crankbaits, or other trolling lures. The debris piles from the original Route 450 Bridge (near the present bridge) or the old railroad bridge (one end is near Manresa) may yield stripers or white perch by jigging. The pilings of the Route 50 Bridge may also produce stripers by deep water jigging. The most likely species we’ll catch are pickerel that inhabit the creeks and tidal ponds along the Severn. This is light tackle, shallow water fishing. 1/8 oz. lures and live minnows on 1/8 oz. jig-heads cast to shoreline structure or quiet pools will be your most productive techniques.

If you are able to catch any other species (besides striper, pickerel, or white perch) in the Severn or its tributaries that day and bring a photo of your catch to the lunch, we will award you a lure.

You can review last year’s post for this event to get some information on how to fish for pickerel http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hlight=red+hot.

Safety Alert: The water will be quite cold by then. Please plan accordingly and wear appropriate protective gear. Participation is solely at each person’s discretion. Your decision to fish or not fish should be based on the weather conditions that day, your own equipment, and your level of experience.

On water communication: We will use VHF Channel 68.

Lunch: At 1:00 p.m., we will meet for lunch at Red, Hot & Blue barbecue restaurant at the Bay Dale Drive exit off of Rt. 50 east of Annapolis. http://redhotandblue.com/annapolis/

How to sign up: If you wish to join us, please reply to this thread with your intention to: a) fish, and/or b)come to the lunch that day (you can do one or the other or both).

Mark, John, and I look forward to seeing you at this last Meet & Greet of 2016.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 11-16-2016, 03:27 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I am in for fishing and lunch.
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem

Comment

Fishing is cancelled for Sat. Here is the current roster of persons who originally signed up for lunch and those who confirmed their interest in lunch after the fishing portion was cancelled.

Name Lunch (original list) Confirmed for Lunch
      Mark X X
      J.A. Veil X X
      harlanbud X
      khobombed X
      J. Rentch X X
      BarefootPetr X
      Yakmac X
      AintMisBehavin X X
      yakscientist X X
      mchottie X X - 2 persons
      Last edited by J.A. Veil; 12-10-2016, 07:51 AM.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've put in for a day off so count me in for fishing & Lunch.

Comment

Please count me in for Fishing and Lunch.

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I'm interested but won't know until that week if I can make it or not.
            I'll have to work on some cold weather gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It has been awhile, but count me in for both events, I hope to go out at least once with one of you folks between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                I'm interested but won't know until that week if I can make it or not.
                I'll have to work on some cold weather gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Even if you do not have cold weather gear by that date, feel free to join us at Jonas Green to check out the types of cold weather gear worn by other participants and to ask questions about kayak rigging and tackle selection. You are also welcome to come for lunch.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

I will be there. I haven't fished for pickeral since I was a kid and really looking forward to it. I have the striper gear, but any pickeral lures I could start picking up for the outing? Also, put me down for lunch.
                  Jay

10' Green Slayer
                  13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                    I will be there. I haven't fished for pickeral since I was a kid and really looking forward to it. I have the striper gear, but any pickeral lures I could start picking up for the outing? Also, put me down for lunch.
                    Welcome to the outing.

Light spinning rods work best because you'll be presenting lightweight lures in shallow water.

Jigs, typically no more than 1/8 oz. dressed with a Mister Twister or live minnow will work. Jig spinner combos, Mepps Spinners, Beetle Spins, and small crankbaits (1/8 to 1/4 oz.) are usually productive. It's a simple cast and retrieve process working shorelines, structure and nearby drop-offs. Vary your retrieval speed, bearing in mind that the water will be cold so you don't want to crank your lures back extremely fast, until you discover where they are holding and how they want the lure presented.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Welcome to the outing.

Light spinning rods work best because you'll be presenting lightweight lures in shallow water.

Jigs, typically no more than 1/8 oz. dressed with a Mister Twister or live minnow will work. Jig spinner combos, Mepps Spinners, Beetle Spins, and small crankbaits (1/8 to 1/4 oz.) are usually productive. It's a simple cast and retrieve process working shorelines, structure and nearby drop-offs. Vary your retrieval speed, bearing in mind that the water will be cold so you don't want to crank your lures back extremely fast, until you discover where they are holding and how they want the lure presented.
                      summersoff,

Actually, I'm loading my van now to go pickerel fishing later this morning.

I just snapped this shot to show you two lures I'll use today:

P1020298.jpg
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'll be there celebrating my birthday w/you all.

Comment

Mark,
                          Thanks for the detailed response. I'll see what I got and load up on what I don't. I think I have plenty for the jig. Just hooking up on one or seeing one caught will bring back some great memories.
                          Jay

10' Green Slayer
                          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I have been catching pickerel all spring, summer, and fall as bycatch when fishing for large and small mouth bass. The picks have hit almost every type of bass lure out there, showing preference for faster moving lures. When actually targeting pickerel, I stay with the lures that Mark recommended, having the most luck with Berkeley Power Minnow Grubs on a light jighead and a Woody's/BigNose spinner.

This year, because I like making things harder then needed, I am going to try to get them with a Ned rig on one rod and a J-5 jerkbait, with trebles replaced by single hooks, on the other.
                            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Important Note about Usage of Jonas Green

We learned yesterday that usage of Jonas Green park by groups of 20 or more persons requires special approval and a permit, $50 fee, and certification of insurance (see http://www.aacounty.org/departments/...Guidelines.pdf). Neither Mark, John Rentch, nor I want to deal with those logistics. Some of our meet and greet events have more than 20 participants. To accommodate all persons interested in the meet and greet and still comply with the park rules, we are going to restrict participant launching from Jonas Green park to the first 19 persons who sign up and want to launch there. Others who want to fish can launch from Tucker St ramp, Truxtun Park, or elsewhere. We can all meet up together for lunch afterwards. We request that if you signed up to fish and are on the list and later change your plans, please let us know so another participant can launch from Jonas Green.

We regret these restrictions, but we do want to comply with the park rules. This may also help with congestion in some of the nearby tidal creeks and ponds
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                              X