Fishing at Deer Creek 11/11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing at Deer Creek 11/11/16

I've been interested in trying my hand at trout fishing given I've stowed the kayak for the winter. I live not too far from Deer Creek and know DNR has recently stocked some rainbow trout there so I set up a fishing tour of the creek starting with Rock State Park. I then moved to Eden Mill and finished the day at Hidden Valley. No trout for the day so I either missed them or I'm doing something wrong. I did catch a number these things:

GPExportPhoto-0002.jpg

I think they're common creek chubs from my research. Too scaly to be a trout. Anyone know for sure?

I had never been to Eden Mill before and it was quite nice. There's a kayak launch and it looks like it could be a nice tour up part of Deer Creek above the dam there at Eden Mill. I'll have to try it in the spring.

I was surprised to catch a small Smallie on my light tackle and pink trout worm with a #10 hook. A pleasant surprise.

GPExportPhoto.jpg

Yup,
    Creek Chub.
    The first time I went fly fishing for trout, I stalked what I thought was a school of Trout, only to find that it was a pod of Chubs.

The DNR used to stock Deer Creek much further up, in the Jolly Acres Camp area.
    I haven't fished there in 20+ years, and I don't know if they do any longer.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought on the creek chub.

Yes, apparently DNR posted that they stocked Deer Creek on October 26th. Not sure how long those stocked trout last and I suspect they disperse quite a bit once let into the wild. The put-and-take area stops at Rt. 23 so the Jolly Acres camp ground area is just north of that. Maybe they migrate down stream?!?

Comment

I think the fish is actually a fall fish. Stocked trout dont last very long in our local streams...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Which is which? (the top one is a fallfish)

Shady, you could be correct.

Stu

Comment

Smallmouth bass are not uncommon in Deer Creek. I have caught numerous smallies in the past few years there.

Comment

Appears to be a fallfish. Catch lots of those in Antietam Creek

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                I think the fish is actually a fall fish.
                The pics from bignose makes me think you're right that it's a fall fish. I actually did catch one of the one's on the bottom picture a few weeks ago. I recall the spots on the head only and the pronounced scales. I'm guessing that's the creek chub then.

Good stuff. Thanks!

BTW, I did try another part of Deer Creek yesterday (Sunday) evening. First cast I hooked a RB trout. It shook itself clear just as I was about to net it. The funny part is I had my GoPro running but it was pointed too high to see the actual fight. You can hear the splashing in the recording but never see the fish. Other than that hookup, I had nothing the rest of the evening.

Comment

Working...
                X