Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Section

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've never fished the flats. Having seen the photos of stripers caught there, I can see where a 10 wt. would come in handy.

For stripers in my normal haunts in the Severn, Whitehall Bay and Goodhands I often carry two fly rods. I use an 8 wt. with intermediate or weight forward floating line for streamers, and a 9 weight with weight forward floating line to cast wind-resistant poppers. Both are 9 feet.

On my trips to Tampa, I use the guide's 8 wt. with floating line to catch specks and ladyfish and other species. The 8 wt. has easily handled my catches there, including ladyfish well over 20 inches and some odd species of catfish.

Note that On the fly (Harry) is very adept at using sinking line. The newer sinking lines are easier to cast than they used to be but I still prefer floating and intermediate lines.

I've never tried over-lining or under-lining a rod. My 8 and 9 wts. handle schoolie stripers with ease as well as legal fish 20 to 24 inches. I've never caught a striper larger than that on the fly in my kayak but I'm sure those rods would subdue larger stripers if I got so lucky. The leverage and bend of a 9 foot rod would give me the advantage.

I've caught schoolies with 4 and 5 wt. rods while fly fishing for white perch. The perch and especially a schoolie will give you a good tussle on those light rods.

To make casting easier while seated in a kayak consider the length of the rod rather than line weight -- assuming you are casting flies appropriate to the weight of your line. The longer the rod the better in my opinion. A longer rod helps me to keep my backcast high while seated close to the water.

As to casting length, a great benefit offered by kayaks is that they allow us to get close to the fish. You don't need to cast a fly line far to catch the typical fish we chase locally in our kayaks-- stripers, white perch, specks. I rarely throw more than 50 feet. That's very easy to do while seated.

I do hope that more Snaggedliners try fly fishing. Harry and I need some competition at the September CBKA tournament in the fly division. We'd gladly turn over our string of titles to newcomers.
    I just want to beat that famous crab catch on a fly from a few years ago at the tournament! Haha. This has got me pretty excited to fly fish again. Maybe it will jump start my fly tying as well. Tight lines y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

I'm glad a few people are interested here. I plan to begin trying to learn to tie my own flies this winter.

I have been fly fishing and fly tying now for 10 years. Bought my first 2 years ago and have been fly fishing from a kayak since. I would love to see a fly fishing section on the forum

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    I'm glad a few people are interested here. I plan to begin trying to learn to tie my own flies this winter.
    I will tell you this, it's VERY rewarding catching a fish on something you made. Also fooling around with different fly tying methods and making your own style of fly and seeing how it reacts in the water....it's a great way to pass time during the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

So any chance we can get a Fly Fishing section on this great website?

Free State Fly Fishers of Maryland meet up in Davidsonville on the first Saturday of the month for Fly tying class at 10:00am till about noon. Mark and myself belong to the club so come on up and join us sometime. We have several Excellent instructors that belong to the club and cover everything from Trout to Rockfish and beyond. Free coffee and snacks are provided.

Quote Originally Posted by eyedaddy View Post
    Free State Fly Fishers of Maryland meet up in Davidsonville on the first Saturday of the month for Fly tying class at 10:00am till about noon. Mark and myself belong to the club so come on up and join us sometime. We have several Excellent instructors that belong to the club and cover everything from Trout to Rockfish and beyond. Free coffee and snacks are provided.
    Yes...It's an excellent group.

We have a website: http://fs-ff.com/

And a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FSFFMD

One thing of note is that the FSFF has its own clubhouse: http://fs-ff.com/index.php/clubhouse-location/ It's a very welcoming atmosphere.

The Saturday fly tying sessions are a winter activity and will end soon. But the club also sponsors monthly guest speakers and numerous outings during the year. Indeed, some of the presentations and outings are kayak oriented. The website and Facebook page highlights those activities.

I'd encourage all interested in fly fishing (and light tackle angling) to visit us.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-14-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I agree a fly fishing thread would be great. I go to other forums now like stripersonline to get good info. I use my 8 and 9 weights all over the bay on my kayak and more info from a like minded group would be great. Been gnawing at the bit to get out there again following those 70 degree days we had last month.

So any chance we can get a Fly Fishing section on this great website?
    I'll add my name to the petition for a paddle powered fly fishing forum. Count me in.

I too would like to see a fly fishing category.

I never considered fly fishing from a kayak that technical. There are tricks here and there but it isn't rocket science. Keeping your area clear is one solution and be mindful where you strip your line.

Most of my experience is on the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers in Virginia. I have fished the Potomac some but I have guided on the Rappahannock for a few trips many years ago. I do tie my own flies and prefer tying larger flies.

I look forward to seeing some of the other fly kayak fisherman this season in NOVA!