Most likely, end of my season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most likely, end of my season

So, I ended my season with a whimper. I've had a good year fishing, but have not been able to get a keeper rockfish. The past four times out (from Jonas Green Park), I've just focused on rockfish. I went to Anglers fishing tackle and had them outfit my tandem rig with jigs and paddle tails and have tried all kinds of trolling, but no luck so far.

I know I am doing something wrong, but not sure what. The next few Thursdays, I am going surf fishing with some friends, so hopefully I get something there.

So, as the Chicago Cubs used to say: "what 'til next year".

But, I really enjoy reading all your post's and am trying to pick up new techniques. Hopefully, I can learn what I need to learn next year.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Don't be down on yourself. You never know when things will come together for you when fishing. Time out on the water is the biggest factor and persistence. Nature will eventually cooperate and you will discover things that work for your style of fishing.

Comment

Location may have a lot to do with it. This was my first year fishing the bay and while the Severn became one of my favorite places, I only got one keeper out there despite many trips and a lot of fish. A lot of the other reports posted here have indicated the bigger fish have been harder to find there, outside of a week or two when they were active in Weems Creek (and with the exception of the paddleboard guy further up the river). I started fishing a few of the creeks on Kent Island in October and was cleaning up using the same tactics and gear until the water temps really started to drop, likely sending the big fish deeper.
      Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
        So, I ended my season with a whimper. I've had a good year fishing, but have not been able to get a keeper rockfish. The past four times out (from Jonas Green Park), I've just focused on rockfish. I went to Anglers fishing tackle and had them outfit my tandem rig with jigs and paddle tails and have tried all kinds of trolling, but no luck so far.

I know I am doing something wrong, but not sure what. The next few Thursdays, I am going surf fishing with some friends, so hopefully I get something there.

So, as the Chicago Cubs used to say: "what 'til next year".

But, I really enjoy reading all your post's and am trying to pick up new techniques. Hopefully, I can learn what I need to learn next year.

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Stan,

Even the best anglers cannot catch the big ones when the big ones aren't present and willing.

I've come to learn that the fish allow us to catch them. Our influence over their behavior is limited.

Keep your methods simple; those that are so often described on this forum. Don't look for a magic lure or technique because none exists. Fish where the fish are when they are willing to bite. Location and being there at the right time is the real key.

The Severn bite near Jonas was exceptional this year in the early spring. For the rest of the year (other than for our friend on his paddleboard fishing the upper river) the striper bite has been marginal.

Good luck next year.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Severn has been slow. It's not necessarily you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I strongly agree with what everyone said above. There's no right or wrong way of fishing. You find what works for you and go with it. My time put in, chasing the bite, and being fortunate enough to try many different techniques and lures, has been the key factors to my fishing year. I tried helping by giving advice for what worked in the areas I fished but sometimes what works for one area won't for another. Being in the water and trying is all that any of us do. So keep going and the fish gods will reward you eventually.

Comment

I know I went out probably 6-7 times just solid trolling without getting any keepers, and I had to go farther south to the St. Marys River to get my first keepers of the year, during the summer. I've been lucky enough to get a keeper (or the limit of 2) on every one of my trips since then (probably 8 or 9 trips total), so I'm going to PM you later today with the spots, techniques, and tackle I've been using. I don't mind sharing this information at all, in fact, I wish fisherman would communicate a bit more, that's why I like this forum so much. But I do think info should be shared with those who actively seek it, not just those who "troll" this board for spots and tips. See what I did there? I have 3 rules at my workplace: 1)work hard 2)be nice to your coworkers 3)use puns as often as possible.

Comment

waaaay to early to end the season!
                Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
                  waaaay to early to end the season!
                  I've ended my season as well. If you have proper protective gear and don't mind wearing it, then by all means fish on. For those of us who choose not to go that route there is no shame in hanging up the season and I applaud Stan for making a decision that he is comfortable with. After all, it is only a fish and no fish is potentially worth your life.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    I've ended my season as well. If you have proper protective gear and don't mind wearing it, then by all means fish on. For those of us who choose not to go that route there is no shame in hanging up the season and I applaud Stan for making a decision that he is comfortable with. After all, it is only a fish and no fish is potentially worth your life.
                    Agreed. I told myself I wouldn't go out after the water dipped below 60. March is only around the corner and I can shore fish until then when the weather is nice.

Comment

It's also a great time of year to hit up stocker trout streams, of which there are many in MD. You can use your ultralight rods and all you really need (besides a freshwater license/trout stamp) is some nightcrawlers, tiny hooks, and split shot (and I suppose waders depending on the stream), and you can catch quite a few if you find the right spots. You can keep 5/day in the "put and take" streams, and 12-18" rainbow and brown trout are very tasty.

Comment

Agreed. I've already started but have had no luck. Then again I'm a new trout fisherman as well.

Comment

My second year kayaking I made a point to catch a fish kayak fishing all 12 months- I applaud those who don't feel comfortable fishing in cold water and close out their seasons- just not me- I caught my biggest Striper on December 8th last year...on the Potomac...in 52 fow...with a red and white Stretch 30....and we had a banner day in February at Mattawoman Creek catfishing...March trout fishing in put and take...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Safety always comes first when deciding to launch or not. My last 3 outings in weather that pushed my limits had me turning around (cautiously)in huge waves to return to the launch or deciding not to launch due to excessive winds despite the long drive. Other times I got a good workout pedaling when the fish were not biting. We'll see you in the spring, no doubt. Until then, i hope to entertain you with a worthy fishing report.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                              It's also a great time of year to hit up stocker trout streams, of which there are many in MD. You can use your ultralight rods and all you really need (besides a freshwater license/trout stamp) is some nightcrawlers, tiny hooks, and split shot (and I suppose waders depending on the stream), and you can catch quite a few if you find the right spots. You can keep 5/day in the "put and take" streams, and 12-18" rainbow and brown trout are very tasty.
                              Took a shot at trout fishing today (see post at http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...Creek-11-11-16

Comment

Working...
                              X