Do Pickerels Go To Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Pickerels Go To Church?

John Rentch and I launched from Homeport Farm Park into Church Creek today to find out if pickerels do indeed go to church.

Here’s John:

P1020281 (2).jpg

We were visited briefly by Harlan who paddled across the South River to meet us.

P1020277.jpg

Harlan noted an active striper bite while crossing the South River and into Church Creek.

But our mission was pickerels. John and I worked every conceivable spot that should hold picks.
    '
    For example, places like these:

P1020274.jpg P1020279.jpg P1020282.jpg

I had strike almost immediately but I was disappointed when it turned out to be this little fellow lurking near a downed tree:

P1020275.jpg

Later I got this white perch, also near downed wood:

P1020283.jpg

You know it’s a bad day when your white perch is larger than your striper!

That was it for me. I worked the creek hard for almost three hours. I paddled upstream to where the water was less than a foot deep. I and came back past the launch to the South River. Along the way I hit every cut, inlet, dock, downed log, etc. on both sides of the creek that should hold pickerels. I tossed a jig spinner and a jig with a yellow Mr. Twister – proven pickerel catchers elsewhere.

The tide was high and falling and the wind was coming directly downstream. There are lots of leaves in the water which frequently fouled my lure.

Bottom line I caught none. Neither did John. If pickerels do go to Church, it must be a very small congregation.

But John did find a very interesting visitor in one of the pews. I’ll let him share that news with you if he’d like to.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Sorry you guys did not find any pickerel today. I'm sure there are some pickerel in the South River, but I suspect they are not as abundant as in the Severn and Magothy.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As Mark said, no Pickerel today in what seems like prime habitat. When I was just casting around in a cove where I have caught Rock, I landed an undersized Flounder.
      Flounder.jpg, 2016-11-07 12.58.54.jpg,

This really surprised me!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Wow on the Flounder! I tried this same creek for Pickerel last year and not luck then either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Thanks for the report gents! That flounder must have been a fluke! (tongue in cheek) LOL
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Wow! A flounder?! Awesome find, John!

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              Thanks for the report gents! That flounder must have been a fluke! (tongue in cheek) LOL
              Haha!!

Comment

Harlanbud was in the creek trolling for some rock, he lives in the area. Told me that an old timer that fishes the creek often said he has never caught Pickerel in Church Creek. Maybe too salty??
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I'm really surprised that you got a shallow water perch, and huge to boot. Good job, sorry the pickerel wouldn't cooperate.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    I'm really surprised that you got a shallow water perch, and huge to boot. Good job, sorry the pickerel wouldn't cooperate.
                    Me too. I caught one last week in a Severn trib and I thought it would be my last white perch of the year.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Beards Creek has been a decent pickerel spot the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by skinnywater View Post
                        Beards Creek has been a decent pickerel spot the last couple of years.
                        Thank you.

I see that's also tributary of the South River like Church Creek.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I have caught pickerel in Church Creek in past years. Not many, but they are there.

Hobie TI
                          Hobie Outback
                          Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X