• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
    That's is very cool! [emoji106]
    Thanks!

Comment

Very impressive from a paddle board!

Comment

Your reports have put a decent amount of yaks in the river today. I over slept and didn't get out till 10. Trolled two 6" swimbaits in 20ft of water with no strikes. Got a few decent marks but no bites. Only trolled from Jonas to the 50 and then back down to the research center. I had a outgoing current but seemed to have missed the "golden hour" talked to a few fellow Snaggedline members out there all of them headed up river lol your post have many people chasing fish! Tight lines, maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
          Thank you! I chose the 2-3oz lures to get down into the lower water column that my 1oz bucktails could reach while at trolling speed. I'm still convinced that there's a lot of active 20"+ fish in the river but just down low.
          Steve,

Again your success in the upper Severn is inspiring

I agree with your assessment above that there are big fish hugging the bottom. I see ample marks on my FF between the bridges in deep water when I launch from Jonas. They have been there for weeks. I carry carry nothing to reach them. I know you have launched from Jonas but have your results there replicated your successes upriver?

I'm curious if the stripers behave differently in different parts of the Severn.

Thanks,
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks all!

FishMoken and Mark, sorry to hear of your lack of success.

I have launched out of Jonas a handful of times and other places that allow to me target the lower portion of the river and have yet to make a statement with the fish I've caught there. Sometimes it feels like I'm on a totally different river closer to the mouth. 1 keeper to date and ton of dinks. Caught the 21" trolling along side the naval academy wall with a white 1oz bucktail and 4inch shad. Quite frankly, I don't understand it and am baffled by this.

As for my main haunts, I haven't really had too much success here in the past couple of weeks either. I have been forced to paddle farther and farther away to find fish. But farther away for me means closer for you! Good luck to all and hope to see some Snaggedliners out there.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
              Thanks all!

FishMoken and Mark, sorry to hear of your lack of success.

I have launched out of Jonas a handful of times and other places that allow to me target the lower portion of the river and have yet to make a statement with the fish I've caught there. Sometimes it feels like I'm on a totally different river closer to the mouth. 1 keeper to date and ton of dinks. Caught the 21" trolling along side the naval academy wall with a white 1oz bucktail and 4inch shad. Quite frankly, I don't understand it and am baffled by this.

As for my main haunts, I haven't really had too much success here in the past couple of weeks either. I have been forced to paddle farther and farther away to find fish. But farther away for me means closer for you! Good luck to all and hope to see some Snaggedliners out there.
              Thank you, Steve.

That's interesting how the Severn's yields differ by location given the same tactics and clear indications of fish in the lower portion.

Note also cryptotek's success in the lower Magothy using light tackle trolling.

The fish certainly keep us guessing.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Thank you, Steve.

That's interesting how the Severn's yields differ by location given the same tactics and clear indications of fish in the lower portion.

Note also cryptotek's success in the lower Magothy using light tackle trolling.

The fish certainly keep us guessing.
                You are very welcome. Yes, I noticed that and am very happy for his success. Always keeping us guessing indeed!

Comment

It was a slow day for me yesterday as well. Trolled to the mouth of the Severn and picked up one short. Turned around and trolled between the bridges without any luck. It was a nice day on the water though, so I can't complain.
                  Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                    It was a slow day for me yesterday as well. Trolled to the mouth of the Severn and picked up one short. Turned around and trolled between the bridges without any luck. It was a nice day on the water though, so I can't complain.
                    Dang! Sorry to hear. Sounds like they're all congregating in this one area. I'm just going to put it out there. I was in Round Bay and Little Round Bay. Birds everywhere!! I was trolling deep in the channel away from the birds and boats that were in the shallows when I caught all of my keepers. There was not too many people I spoke with that caught anything of size in the thick of the birds. I went today with another Snaggedliner (yakscientist) and I ended with 9 fish total and one keeper at 21". Last I heard, he had caught a 22" striper, 22" pickerel, and a handful of unders.
                    Last edited by supfisher01; 11-06-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Any theory for why the fish are staying deeper?

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post

The only thing I can think of is that the bigger fish are lazy. They'll let most the smaller ones do all of the dirty work and they hang below to pickup scraps or the slower and injured bunker. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post

The deeper the water, the warmer it is. The larger fish are like us old guys "when you get old, you get cold."

On another note, I was out on my friends's Parker 25 on the main stem from Thomas Pt to the Bay Bridge last Wednesday hugging the eastern side of the channel jigging birds mostly. All dinks. We also hit the Severn but only up to the Rt 450 bridge. We didn't have more than one ounce of weight on any jig or bucktail.

We heard a rumor that the porpoises have driven the larger rock further up into the Rivers (South and Severn). That may be old news by now but has anyone else heard that. There did seem to be more activity up river than down river until a few days ago.
                          Last edited by Fishinfool; 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                            The deeper the water, the warmer it is. The larger fish are like us old guys "when you get old, you get cold."

On another note, I was out on my friends's Parker 25 on the main stem from Thomas Pt to the Bay Bridge last Wednesday hugging the eastern side of the channel jigging birds mostly. All dinks. We also hit the Severn but only up to the Rt 450 bridge. We didn't have more than one ounce of weight on any jig or bucktail.

We heard a rumor that the porpoises have driven the larger rock further up into the Rivers (South and Severn). That may be old news by now but has anyone else heard that. There did seem to be more activity up river than down river until a few days ago.
                            Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense about the deeper warmer water in the fall.

There were sightings of porpoises in the mouth and by the bridges of the Severn a couple months ago. It does explain the abundance of bait fish in the river but I haven't had a consistent keeper striper bite in the upper portion for a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                            X