No announcement yet.

drysuit advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to hijack the post but I was looking into this cold water fishing. I got to thinking, would it be acceptable if I got a dry top and wore my winter neoprene waters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
      Not to hijack the post but I was looking into this cold water fishing. I got to thinking, would it be acceptable if I got a dry top and wore my winter neoprene waters?

There has been much discussion on the board about cold weather gear in the past. Do a search and you will find some in depth discussion in numerous threads, probably to much, but it's a serious subject.

What you describe is what I use and from what I read quite a few others. I'm not a hardcore winter fisherman and usually only wear the setup in early spring(April) and late fall( about this time of the year). It seems to work fairly well in keeping the water out and there are a few videos bouncing around that demonstrate it. Haven't tested my actual setup myself and it is something I should do. From the videos mentioned the set up works pretty damn well with minimal water infiltration if you have a decent dry top. If I find a link to the videos I' ll PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post

Just make sure you have a wader belt snuggly fit around your waist. It'll keep most of the water out if you end up in the drink. Otherwise, it'll be darn near impossible to pull yourself back up into your kayak with chest waders full of water.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          Just make sure you have a wader belt snuggly fit around your waist. It'll keep most of the water out if you end up in the drink. Otherwise, it'll be darn near impossible to pull yourself back up into your kayak with chest waders full of water.
          I think he is considering what I do which is wearing the drytop over the waders. Should keep water infiltration to a minimum that way.

Comment

I've worn the drytop/waders combo and I felt safe in it. I used 2 belts though, one over the waders, and then one over the drytop around my waist once it was over the waders. Make sure you pee beforehand, that was my biggest gripe with going with that clothing combo, not being able to pee.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              I've worn the drytop/waders combo and I felt safe in it. I used 2 belts though, one over the waders, and then one over the drytop around my waist once it was over the waders. Make sure you pee beforehand, that was my biggest gripe with going with that clothing combo, not being able to pee.
              What dry top did you buy? I have a decent set of waders and while the dry suit gives me the highest comfort level on safety I don't think I'm ready to spend $250-$400 just yet and would like to try the dry top wader combo.

Comment

I got a used NRS powerhouse (I think that's the model) jacket from a member here. http://www.nrs.com/product/25813/nrs...acket-closeout (it's an earlier model of that one)

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                  I too have the Kokatat hydrus 3L supernova and like it. My only criticism of the suit is I wish the reinforced areas around the legs and waist area extended all the way into the crotch area more. If you just swing fish into your lap like I do, you have to be mindful of putting a hook point into an area that it could potentially puncture the suit. And like Hemigway said, if you where it during the "in between" season, layer very light under it or you'll get too warm.

You asked about the foot size. I wear a size 13 shoe and the feet have more than enough room to layer socks underneath.
                  And the customer service at Kokatat is excellent. When I first bought my suit it leaked at the seams. I sent it back for repair at no charge. Upon return, I could see where they fixed leaks, but unfortunately it still had leaks. I sent it back again and received word from them that the suit was defective and I would be receiving a brand new suit as a replacement - at no charge again! Leak free ever since!
                  What size suit do you have, a large or a medium? I think those both have the same boot sizes, so I'm just curious. I don't think they move up to a larger boot until the XXL.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                    +1 on the supernova. I have had mine for four years, no quality issues. Relief zipper is a must have. I have turtled twice in mine and the suit was a godsend, just jumped back on and keep on fishing. I doubt the foot size will be and issue, the boot socks are very roomy, I layer up with two wool socks in cool weather, and just buy larger water sandals that my normal size. Kokatat will custom make your suit if you really need more room anywhere, just talk with their customer service. My only reservation on the one piece is in the shoulder seasons when there is a small temperature window where it would be nice to have a two piece. I manage by only wearing a thin nylon shirt and fishing pants under the suit. The suit breaths fairly well.
                    I'm looking to get a medium suit, is that the size you have, or do you have a large (and are your feet 12 or bigger)? And do they charge more for any custom additions to the suit? I think I saw that their customer service rep told someone that the boot size can be changed, but that's the extent of the customization on their non Gore-Tex suits like the one I want. Thanks for the help

Comment

I am 5'10" 180 lbs. shoe size 9-9.5 I got the large because I need a little extra room in the seat. I made the size call after talking with them. The sleeves and legs are a little long, but as they told me that is not an issue. The Velcro cuffs on the sleeves and pants can be tighten up around the wrists and ankles. This allowed me to get a standard suit without customization. It is nice and roomy without feeling too big when I am fishing with only a light layer, and still fine with three layers in the cold. In super cold weather I wear two heavy wool socks, and a size 13 water sandal, if that helps you with the boot size. Since I did not wind up needing the customization I never inquired about the cost. My suit is the goretex one, so I can only speak to it. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X