No announcement yet.

Trolling from upper Severn to route 50 bridge 11/2/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve has had great success for the past few months by putting in his time and trying different techniques. I observed a great deal of bait in the lower half of the water column yesterday. The lures I was using did not drop that deep. I did poorly. Steve's heavier tackle got his lures into the portion of the water column where the fish are holding now. It was a good choice to troll those heavier rigs. Well done.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Steve has had great success for the past few months by putting in his time and trying different techniques. I observed a great deal of bait in the lower half of the water column yesterday. The lures I was using did not drop that deep. I did poorly. Steve's heavier tackle got his lures into the portion of the water column where the fish are holding now. It was a good choice to troll those heavier rigs. Well done.
      John, it was good to see you tonight and I wish I could've spoke with you more but it looked like you had some other people that wanted your attention. Time put in has definitely been a factor and when I can give advice, I will. All of you here on Snaggedline have shown me a different path of a fisherman and will continue to pass along your standards to other fellow fisherman. Thank you and hope you all can get that extra fish on board before the season comes to a close.

Comment

Steve,

Can you please point the stripers you release south and give them a nudge in that direction when you let them go?
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Steve,

Can you please point the stripers you release south and give them a nudge in that direction when you let them go?
          Haha! Yes I will but only half of them. [emoji12]

Comment

Great report! A big hat tip for thinking "outside the box".

I just may have to invest in a stouter rod or two. Those 2-5 oz tandem rigs may be a bit much for my light graphite rods!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
              Great report! A big hat tip for thinking "outside the box".

I just may have to invest in a stouter rod or two. Those 2-5 oz tandem rigs may be a bit much for my light graphite rods!
              Thank you! Yes, a bit much for both my light and medium spinning rods. I have matched all of my big bay gear with medium-heavy trolling rods.

Although I caught fish I think everything I was trolling, for this outing, was over kill. Do you need tandem rigs... probably not, do you need 10" shads... probably not. I think as long as you have enough weight (2oz-3oz bucktails) to get down to the the lower water column, while still trolling fast enough to make your bait swim properly, you'll be catching them.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                Thank you! Yes, a bit much for both my light and medium spinning rods. I have matched all of my big bay gear with medium-heavy trolling rods.

Although I caught fish I think everything I was trolling, for this outing, was over kill. Do you need tandem rigs... probably not, do you need 10" shads... probably not. I think as long as you have enough weight (2oz-3oz bucktails) to get down to the the lower water column, while still trolling fast enough to make your bait swim properly, you'll be catching them.
                Great, thanks for the advice! I dusted off an (classic boat rod combo) old 6.5 ' Shakespeare "Wonder Rod" with an old but still serviceable Penn Ocean City bait caster that would probably be worth some serious cash on Antiques Roadshow. I had high hopes of getting out yesterday. It didn't happen; by the time I got my work done, the Beltway was jammed. I will try again!

Comment

So, it has come to my attention that I've been committing an illegal act as a fisherman.

Once caught and gill strung, tethered in any way, set in a cooler, set in a live well, whether it's still alive or not, it is illegal to set one fish free to keep another (culling striped bass). I never had any knowledge of this rule and am very thankful that some of the members on Snaggedline pointed it out to me.

I will, from now on, abide by this rule. Thank you!!

Comment

It takes a good guy to admit an honest mistake. This forum is great for keeping us out of trouble and educating us in positive ways. Thanks for your reply.

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

This past Wednesday night, a representative of the MD DNR addressed the Free State Fly Fishers at their monthly meeting in Davidsonville. His topic was catch and release. The speaker provided extremely helpful advice based on scientific studies conducted by the DNR on the best ways to handle and release fish of all species.

Surely, a fish that has been strung or iced has a very poor chance of survival based on the speaker's presentation. I learned a lot from his talk and will do my best to follow good catch and release practices.

He pointed to this link and many others from various sources on-line that give handling guidance:

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/p...d-release.aspx
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm thinking of fishing the Severn tomorrow if anyone is interested, I will most likely be trolling deep. Thanks again to all who provided advice in this thread.
                        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                          I'm thinking of fishing the Severn tomorrow if anyone is interested, I will most likely be trolling deep. Thanks again to all who provided advice in this thread.
                          Nice! I'll be out there in the early morning til about 10-10:30. I have plans and must be home at 11:00. My plan is to troll the channel of the river again and make my way down to little round bay then head back to my launch. There will be an incoming tide til about 10:30, a 6-8 mph breeze out of the NW, and topside temp in the low 40's. Hope to see some Snaggedliners out there!

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                            Good luck, if i don't see ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              This past Wednesday night, a representative of the MD DNR addressed the Free State Fly Fishers at their monthly meeting in Davidsonville. His topic was catch and release. The speaker provided extremely helpful advice based on scientific studies conducted by the DNR on the best ways to handle and release fish of all species.

Surely, a fish that has been strung or iced has a very poor chance of survival based on the speaker's presentation. I learned a lot from his talk and will do my best to follow good catch and release practices.

He pointed to this link and many others from various sources on-line that give handling guidance:

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/p...d-release.aspx
                              That was a good little write up. Thanks, Mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X