Trolling from upper Severn to route 50 bridge 11/2/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling from upper Severn to route 50 bridge 11/2/16

Fishing has been relatively slow lately and didn't have high hopes for today. With that being said I wanted to get my big boy trolling rods ready for the bay and my speed dialed in with much larger parachutes on tandem rigs. 2oz + 4oz solid chartreuse and 3oz + 5oz solid white all with 6"-10" shads hooked on them.

I launch out of my normal area at 6:50am and head straight down river in the channel along with an outgoing tide. I get everything set and speed just right. I get about a mile into my paddle and WHAM! drag is singing! First fish I land is a 24.5" striper on a chartreuse 4oz parachute with 8" shad. I could not believe it! Just when I thought fishing in the river was slowing for good....

I tie this guy off and keep heading for my destination. Every time I get both rods set again another fish takes line. This happened for the next 40-50 minutes and landed 8 keepers and a ton of just unders in the same area as the 24.5". That slows down and I'm left with 2 healthy keepers, 24.5" and a 23". I was so stoked to have had great success in this area but still wanted to make it to my destination (route 50 bridge).

So, here I am lugging around 2 nice sized rockfish (tethered so they can still swim) trolling huge gear headed for the bridge. Although it was a little brisk out this morning, I was drenched in sweat trying to keep my rig at a good trolling speed. I get about a half mile from the bridge and WHAM! my drag sings like I haven't heard in a while, almost ripping my cooler off of my board. I get it top side and measured out to 26.5", which is the largest fish I've caught from the board this year. This one went for the white 5oz with 10" shad.

All in all I paddled 15 miles and landed well over 20 fish, with at least half being keepers and came home with a 24.5" and a 26.5". I'm going to be a sore whiny baby tomorrow but well worth it. And don't be afraid to use bigger baits deep in the channel. The main river is still on fire so, if you can, GET OUT THERE!!

Nice going bro! Still intrigued with your setup especially this time with the heavy rigs!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
      Nice going bro! Still intrigued with your setup especially this time with the heavy rigs!
      Thanks! Just trying to catch fish under paddle power like the rest of Snaggedline. Hope to be hooking up to a fat cow when the migration starts in the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
        Thanks! Just trying to catch fish under paddle power like the rest of Snaggedline. Hope to be hooking up to a fat cow when the migration starts in the bay.
        That would be an awesome sight to see on a paddle board!
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Can't wait!🎣🍻

Comment

Too cool!....good call on the bigger tackle, can you estimate the death you were trolling?... Loving your post.
            Harlan

Revo 13
            Trident 13
            Cuda 14
            Necky Tandem

Comment

Well the speed and

Comment

Sorry about the premature unfinished post.

Thanks! Well, with the speed and length of line I had out, I'm estimating one line to be about 12-14 feet down and the other around 15-18. All 4 lures saw action today but the deeper lures saw the most. So a lot deeper than I've been trolling my 1oz bucktails all summer.

Comment

And the bigger tackle was all by coincidence. Haha. But I'll take it.

Comment

Just when I was telling my girlfriend I'm thinking of taking the racks off my car and end my season....you post this. lol I guess a few more weeks out can't hurt. Nice catches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Desert Camo- Moken 14
                    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
                      Just when I was telling my girlfriend I'm thinking of taking the racks off my car and end my season....you post this. lol I guess a few more weeks out can't hurt. Nice catches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Thank you! Happy I can be part of changing your mind.

Comment

Nice information. Maybe the scale up is the key. Hope to hear from anybody else that gives it a try.

Comment

Great post, bud! Really impressive.

I was on the Severn this afternoon, but focused on the tribs I found some fish, but nothing close to your success. Next time, I do deep!
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                            Nice information. Maybe the scale up is the key. Hope to hear from anybody else that gives it a try.
                            Thanks! Hope all end up with fish in the box!

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                              Great post, bud! Really impressive.

I was on the Severn this afternoon, but focused on the tribs I found some fish, but nothing close to your success. Next time, I do deep!
                              Thanks! I was driven to the tributaries as well with little to no success at one point. I guess sometimes you just need some off the wall change. Hope everyone does well out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X